Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO Front Range camping in late may/early April

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good car/tent camping along the Front Range in Colorado. Last year we went to the Sand Dunes the weekend of April 20th and it was about as cold as most people could bare, a little below freezing. I think we're going to go the first weekend of May this year so it should be a little warmer regardless. Are max driving time is three hours (coming from Denver) and I was thinking down South again, maybe near Salida or Manitou Springs but if the temperature difference between Southern Colorado and Northern Colorado are comparable <5 degree difference (obviously altitude will have a lot to do with this) then that's fine too.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Re: CO Front Range camping in late may/early April

The first thing to know that the mountains are about 6 weeks behind Denver weather wise. I don't try to do family camping trips unitl Memorial Day, in the mountains. My last mountain campout is usually Labor Day. There isn't much temp difference between north and south, its mainly the elevation that gets you the change.
    What do you want to do? What type of camping? Car, backpacking, rving? What activities are you planning on doing? You need to decide quick and if you are going to make reservations at the campgrounds, you need to make them most Forest service campgrounds are already booked.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

We'll mostly just want to hang out, maybe some hiking, if there's a 13er nearby some of us will give it a shot. Tent/car dispersed/primitive camping, I don't go to places that require money or reservations.

Comment

Pike National Forest outside of Colorado Springs has all kinds of options. Car or carry in there are lots of great spots to set up with developed trails to explore. There are also some established grounds if you want to pay a few buck for a nice site. There are also lots of smaller peaks ranging 8,000-12,000 ft that can be done in a day's time. The weather does stay cooler at the higher elevations though so be prepared.

Comment

Working...
        X