Campground Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campground Reviews

Here's the thread to give your opinion of any campground that you have been to. What are the amenities, what is the conditions on the landscape? Cleanliness, how well organized, did it have a camp host? How large are the tent pads, the RV pads? Was there any separation from RVs & tents, how much privacy between sites are there? What are the fees? Good or not so good, or the worse place you have ever camped at? What were the conditions of the picnic tables: wood, steel or concrete? You just never know who you might help when someone is looking for an organized campground, it might just be you looking for what someone else said about a campground that you are looking for!

Photos of the campgrounds are always encouraged!

Also please include the state & county and the name of the campground when submitting your review.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Campground Reviews

The Black Canyon Campground in the Santa Fe National Forest is a great forest service campground with some walk in tent only sites. If you are visiting Santa Fe I would highly recommend this campground since it is an easy 20 minute ride down the mountain into town. The campground does have a host, is well forested for shade in hot summers, and there are many hiking trails from the campground or nearby up the mountain. Because of the many conifers and Aspens there is a fair amount of privacy among many of the sites. Here is the link: http://fe.gd/hzS If you are thinking about camping in the Santa Fe area you have you have two close in choices -- Hyde Memorial State Park or Black Canyon. They are right next to one another. I prefer Black Canyon mainly because the loops are paved and there is less dust kicked up than at the State Park. It fills up fast.

PJ
    Santa Fe

Comment

Thanks for the review PJ.
      I have been looking for a good place in the NM area for this spring. About how far are the walk in tent sites from the parking area?

Alan

Comment

Not far at all. When I camped there I had an rv and only eye balled the tent sites. They are not hike in, just a short walk in from the parking pad if I remember correctly. It can get pretty hot here in Santa Fe in the summer. This campground is a respite from the heat because it is at about 8000 feet and in the national forest.

Comment

We just left Gros Ventre campground in Grand Teton Nat'l Park. The campsites were not as close together as most National Park campsites. There is no view of the mountains at all - mostly inside a grove of cottonwoods. Three moose did wander thru the area one day. There were attendants at the check-in station but we only saw someone come by once during the four days we were there. Of course we were out of the camp a lot of the time. There are many restrooms, but no showers. Most sites do not have water or electrical power - most of the campground is 'generator-free.'

In one of our side trips, we drove about ten miles past the NP campsite and found a really beautiful campground with about twenty sites just outside the park boundaries. It overlooked a natural lake and the campsites were widely spaced. If we ever camp in that area again, that will be the campground we select. Hosts were very friendly. One site has electrical and water, others are primitive.
          Last edited by Rokkitsci; 09-10-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokkitsci View Post
            We just left Gros Ventre campground in Grand Teton Nat'l Park. The campsites were not as close together as most National Park campsites. There is no view of the mountains at all - mostly inside a grove of cottonwoods. Three moose did wander thru the area one day. There were attendants at the check-in station but we only saw someone come by once during the four days we were there. Of course we were out of the camp a lot of the time. There are many restrooms, but no showers. Most sites do not have water or electrical power - most of the campground is 'generator-free.'

In one of our side trips, we drove about ten miles past the NP campsite and found a really beautiful campground with about twenty sites just outside the park boundaries. It overlooked a natural lake and the campsites were widely spaced. If we ever camp in that area again, that will be the campground we select. Hosts were very friendly. One site has electrical and water, others are primitive.

Can you tell us the name of the "really beautiful camp ground" you found just North of Gros Venture? I may head back out there next year and am always looking for good places to camp.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

I'm sorry I cannot remember the actual name of the campground but it overlooks Slide Lake, just outside the National Park boundary. So Slide Lake may be part of the name. It is a beautiful site and I will never go to Gros Ventre again.

To get there turn off the main road at Gros Ventre junction and go past the Gros Ventre entrance - in about 6-10 miles there will be a sign that indicates two campgrounds. The first one is the one I mentioned. The other is primitive only and requires 4wd over really rough road to get to. I think that one has the name 'Crystal' in the title.

Comment

Thanks for the extra info. We should be able to find it now. Appreciate the post.

Comment

https://thedyrt.com/ is a decent resource for campground reviews

Comment

I have camped at Ruby Mountain Campground between Salida, CO and Buena Vista, CO. We really liked the layout of the campground. We had fire ring and a nice tent pad. No water or electricity. There was two bathrooms at the park. Toilet only. It was right on the Arkansas river, so if you raft or fish your going to love it. We met a lot of hikers and 4 wheeler's. I would give it a 4 out of 5 rating.
                    Here is a link to the Campground info. with a Video.http://www.campingroadtrip.com/campg...ain-campground

Comment

Columbine Canyon in Northern New Mexico just outside Red River was awesome. Had a camp host, clean vault toilets, water, access to hiking trail, showers in nearby Red River and Questa. Definitely going back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	70398

Comment

Working...
                      X