Question about leaving your tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about leaving your tent

Only thing we ever had stolen is firewood !! And they were young children before dawn. n

Comment

I've yet to have a problem in campgrounds. I do tend to hit the dispersed spots in the state forest up here. You get the occasional lot of punks that blaze by and later drive by again to see if anyone's around. They don't take kindly to vehicles left in the woods in remote areas either. Most of the trailheads are safe, though. If I hike in somewhere, I leave the truck unlocked and the console and glovebox open. I've even gone as far as attaching a note to the window letting them know the doors are unlocked and to please not knock out my windows to gain access. I had someone write below the note "LOL" once. A tactic one of my acquaintances does is leave his floorboards full of fast food bags and make it appear unkept. No one has ever stolen anything from his car. He's lived up here his entire life. I've been here 6 years and still get uneasy at times. I have trust issues.

Comment

Was going through some old threads and this one was an interesting read...hope no one minds that it's getting revived!

With that said, I have had items stolen from camp, once while I was in camp and right behind my back...I was preparing dinner and turned around to see an as yet unopened package of hot dog buns disappearing down the trail (raccoon :smile: ). That's the only time I've had anything stolen (and learned that if your tent is the only tent in the campground...you're ground zero for raccoon activity!)

We leave our bedding, clothing etc. in the tent and our cook gear and provisions in the screen house (covered or in a storage locker that's wired shut). On rare occasions I've forgotten and left my wallet behind in the tent, but as long as it was out of site I never felt too concerned.
        Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Originally posted by caheaton View Post
          Was going through some old threads and this one was an interesting read...hope no one minds that it's getting revived!

With that said, I have had items stolen from camp, once while I was in camp and right behind my back...I was preparing dinner and turned around to see an as yet unopened package of hot dog buns disappearing down the trail (raccoon :smile: ). That's the only time I've had anything stolen (and learned that if your tent is the only tent in the campground...you're ground zero for raccoon activity!)

We leave our bedding, clothing etc. in the tent and our cook gear and provisions in the screen house (covered or in a storage locker that's wired shut). On rare occasions I've forgotten and left my wallet behind in the tent, but as long as it was out of site I never felt too concerned.
          Obviously racoons are not on a low carb diet...
          Yeah it's only critters that have "borrowed a cup of sugar" from me in the past.

Funny you mentioned a wallet. Lost mine a few years back at a cookout and switched to using an itsy bitsy not much bigger than a plastic card leather case that hooks onto a belt loop with a locking key chain. Thing of beauty and the only thing it's missing is a place to put my cellphone in.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

When I was growing up, my mom had a cat boarding business. Because of that, she almost always had a 50lb bag of kitty litter in the back seat of the car. If you want a foolproof car theft deterrent - it's a 50lb bag of kitty litter in the back seat.

I have to admit, I often leave my RV door unlocked while I step away. I've never had a problem, although I do try to move any electronics, etc. out of sight.

But, having a lot of camera gear, I have really learned that it's not about camouflage. People around me will know I have camera gear the first time I take it out for a photo. Putting it in a diaper bag, etc. is going to do nothing to prevent a potential thief from knowing what I have. So, I put the effort into being observant of my surroundings and those around me.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The only thing that I would take with me is my bike or my kick scooter. I stow chairs and camp stove in the tent when leaving more for keeping dry or not blowing away in a rain storm.

One thing to consider is that there is a big difference in the types of camping. I camp east of the Mississippi at mom and pop campgrounds or state/regional parks. People are around, and there is usually a camp host or ranger visible.

That is quite different from camping in a remote area.
              Last edited by actad; 05-23-2015, 06:10 AM.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Chuck's been camping about 45 years and I've been camping about 20 years. Neither of us have ever had anything stolen by anything with less than 4 legs.
                Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                Nights under the stars:
                2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I pack my most valuable items in the truck when we leave to go on the boat. I put the chairs in the tent and head out. I don't expect anything to happen but if it was to I would not be out much. When the wife goes everything stays in place as she never leaves camp.

Comment

Working...
                  X