Camp Kitchens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Kitchens

We put this home made chuck box in the back of the Jeep. It's heavy, so we may or may not haul it out and put on the picnic table or the legs that are made to go with it. Comes in very handy, and can lock up at night to keep the critters out. My son put a video up to show the details if you're interested.

http://youtu.be/etXWcvEb7WE

Comment

I agree that for a group of 20 boy scouts it makes sense to be more organized with a camp kitchen. Some of the best are like the green box above designed for use on mules or carried on rafts by river runners.

I used a friend's camp kitchen last fall for a week long hunting trip. It is a lot of work and hard to move. Food storage is questionable in wild country because of the maurading critters.

I like a table now that I am over 60, or at least some waist high rocks to cook on. A chair is valuable now and I take one whenever possible. When backpacking I bring the Crazy Creek type chair with a back rest and unfold it at night for my dog to sleep on.

After a table, chair and some sort of stove, I don't need much more than a frying pan and a Dutch oven and coffee pot.

Old Timer's box looks very similar to the aluminum kitchen panniers used by packers. They are great for a group with screw-on legs under them.
      Last edited by ppine; 08-16-2013, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aebelskiver View Post
        We put this home made chuck box in the back of the Jeep. It's heavy, so we may or may not haul it out and put on the picnic table or the legs that are made to go with it. Comes in very handy, and can lock up at night to keep the critters out. My son put a video up to show the details if you're interested.

http://youtu.be/etXWcvEb7WE

Thats a good video and a great chuckbox. Its a great idea and I am going to build me one when/if I ever get some free time. I can see something like this sitting on my trucks tailgate. Will also be great for tailgating too.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

This is my camp kitchen. Easy to make and so practical. Each shelf has just what we need. This photos was taken after a few days of camping so things are a little out of place but no big deal. I also keep a removable plastic container for napkins and plastic ware inside. While camping it stays out on the table.

Our "kitchen" works well when it rains as well - we pop on the lid and everything stays dry. I discovered the idea on Youtube.
          Last edited by luv2scrapinva; 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

The rule with all of our camping gear is it has to be light enough for me to load if hubby's back goes out. This is the chuck box we made from a 24 gallon action packer an corrugated plastic. One section has 2 totes one for dishes and one for spices, sugar and ect. This holds all but the stove. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	69771
            Last edited by Denni2; 08-19-2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I really like the chuck box, I'm going to keep an eye out for an older one, something vintage would be fun. I'm glad people on here enjoy those kitchen setups, but to me it's just a fancy folding table with totes and a high price tag.

I make 90% of the food I eat while camping on a charcoal grill, a small Weber kettle and a large Weber kettle depending on how many people I'm camping with. If you don't have a chimney starter you are doing it wrong, no lighter fluid, no match light charcoal needed, you save $$$ and no fuel taste on your chicken.

I work out of totes, with locking lids. I use smaller totes for kitchen supplies, typically I will only carry what I know I need. If I'm camping with just one other person I will grab a couple salt and pepper single serving packs at the local burger joint instead of carrying an entire sale & pepper set. I like to pre marinate meats for weekend trips and only carry what my recipe calls for X2 just in case of spillage, but no need to bring 5 pounds of sugar for my coffee.

One thing I like to do is have a massive tote to put all my other smaller totes and gear in, I drive a truck so any covered store is always welcome, basically it serves as my car trunk for non food items. I also buy alot of my camp cooking supplies at the dollar store, I used to go to my real kitchen and gather my tools, it's time consuming so it was easier to spend $15 and have a cheapie cooking kit. :cool:
              sigpic

Comment

Hey Old Time Camper. I have finally started building my chuck box (albeit very slowly) and I have a couple more questions for you if you don't mind. First, I decided that the legs on yours were better than what I had planned and am going to use the emt conduit but am wondering what you used for the shoes on the bottoms. It looks like a plastic cap of some sort but I cant really tell from the pictures. Second, there is wood on the bottom of both sides of the left shelf. What are they for? I would guess support but they are so far to the outside of the shelf that I can't imagine they are adding much support.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

James,

The rubber feet are chair bottoms, I think they are 7/8” and I got them at Walmart.The supports you see are slots for my griddle, and it slides right in. I look forward to seeing your chuckbox when it is done. Have fun building it.
                  I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

Hey Guys well i think that the main advantage of having a Camp Kitchen is that it is easier to camp quickly, because these numerous kitchen items are always loaded and ready.Thanks!!

Ipswich Blocked Drains
                    Last edited by markspend1; 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                      The rule with all of our camping gear is it has to be light enough for me to load if hubby's back goes out. This is the chuck box we made from a 24 gallon action packer an corrugated plastic. One section has 2 totes one for dishes and one for spices, sugar and ect. This holds all but the stove. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4298[/ATTACH]
                      Hey Denni,
                      I've been doing a search for a specific product and stumbled on to this older thread which still makes for good reading.

How you loving your camp kitchen? Any mods to it?
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaineAgenda View Post
                        We just yesterday went out and bought a Cabela's Camp kitchen!! I am DYING to try this out. I am so tired of fishing through totes for stuff. The kitchen we got comes with a sink area which I think will come in real handy. Can't wait to use this!!! Our 1st camping trip will be the weekend of may 11th, so we'll know then just how much this thing will help. I didn't get the most expensive deluxe kitchen, because I didn't see much of a difference between it and the less expensive one. Will let you all know how it goes!!
                        I also havenjoy the camp kitchen from bass pro we used it this past week atvDisneys Fort Wilderness and got to we love it it though it's a pain in the butt to pack because we only have our car and with everything else but it is so worth it

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                          Hey Denni,
                          I've been doing a search for a specific product and stumbled on to this older thread which still makes for good reading.

How you loving your camp kitchen? Any mods to it?
                          We loved this, but things did not fit well so we had to reconfigure and consolidate some things. This is what we are using now. This is lighter and easier.

Sorry the last picture is so large, it won't resize, GRRR. We are using 2 Plano boxes. This works better for us with the new car and I do less moving things around, it is just grab and go. I would like to make dividers for the utility box, but it isn't a priority. Everything stays in place pretty much.

Comment

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Ga...NE-5/205978361

I have two of these that most of the smaller gear fits in. One has all of the cooking and eating supplies- Utensils, spatula , cast iron pots and pans, aluminum foil, spices, ect.
                            The other one has camp items-hammer, tent steaks,lanterns, batteries, lp tanks, ect. These stack and tie down nicely on my trailer.

Comment

Here's my kitchen set up at my favorite camp. I get to go play about 3 times a year and make improvements every time. Fortunately no one has destroyed it. One of my things is to use as much nature provides. Cook on wood, build with local stone. Play with solar power. The fire pit is a keyhole style. I leave the heavy steel grate in place but take the square aluminum plate top with me as I'm sure that would disappear. Great for cooking in pots and keeping the soot off. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160308_141432.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	70582

Comment

I actually do have a cookset that I never use - I bought it for my wife and added to it over the years, and then she wasn't able to camp with me any more. It is called the Cowboy Cookset. They don't make them any more :-( But the thing is massive enough to where I could see how a chuck box would be useful. But it would have to be a big one.
                                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                                X