+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camping in 50 degree weather

swebob is on a distinguished road swebob's Avatar

Default Camping in 50 degree weather

I planned on camping this weekend here in south florida and knew it would be cool but not in the low 50's.. I was just curious of how others here camp in 50 degree weather such as how you keep warm. I know to some of you are use to the cold but ive lived in florida all my life and have thin skin.

I just dont think blankets on a airbed will keep us warm enough.. any suggestions??

Primitive camper! Bigdog57 is on a distinguished road Bigdog57's Avatar

Default Re: Camping in 50 degree weather

I use a good blanket on an air matress with no trouble - despite other's theories. Just need a good closed cell pad underneath it. 50's is ideal camping temps here in north Florida - and I have lived here all my life. I sleep warm and comfy.
    When it gets to the 30's and forties, I switch to a good sleeping bag, and keep the air matress. Not a problem.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels!

You can comfortably camp with lows in the '50s with anything - cot, pad, hammock, even the tubular air matterss - without nary a Mr. Buddy or electric blanket. Come to think of it, in a strange way, medical science makes part of its living off of people who don't know the difference between law and theory. Don't tell them that, because we have bills to pay...And we laugh all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by tplife; 10-31-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    “I like the scientific spirit—the holding off, the being sure but not too sure, the willingness to surrender ideas when the evidence is against them: this is ultimately fine—it always keeps the way beyond open—always gives life, thought, affection, the whole man, a chance to try over again after a mistake—after a wrong guess.”
    ― Walt Whitman, Walt Whitman's Camden Conversations

Quote Originally Posted by HogSnapper View Post
    I'm not sure y'all are relating to what the OP said. If you live in south florida long enough, you reach a point where 60 degrees is like 40 degrees to most other people. 50 degrees is like 20 degrees and 40 degrees might as well be zero F. I grew up down there and it's just the way your body chemistry adapts over time. Same thing happens to people in Alaska but it's the reverse. So when the OP says 50 degrees, think 20 degrees for the rest of us.
    Thats just what i was getting at Hogsnapper.. Low 40's and low 50's down here is freezing to us..

Quote Originally Posted by swebob View Post
    I planned on camping this weekend here in south florida and knew it would be cool but not in the low 50's.. I was just curious of how others here camp in 50 degree weather such as how you keep warm. I know to some of you are use to the cold but ive lived in florida all my life and have thin skin.

I just dont think blankets on a airbed will keep us warm enough.. any suggestions??
    We go camping here on the central coast of Cal. all the time in 50 degrees or less. We have an air bed and frame from Cabella's and a big buddy heater. We keep the propane tank outside and run the hose through the power cord slot in the tent. We have been very comfortable (in shirt sleeves) in as low as 18 degrees outside.
    http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae81/golf1here/1.jpg
    Last edited by golf1here; 11-01-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Canvas Camper Phil_R is on a distinguished road Phil_R's Avatar

Well, if 50's for you = 20's for me... I use a Thermarest Luxury Map pad and 0f degree sleeping bag. If pad is on the ground, the sleeping bag is a mummy. If pad is on a cot, the sleeping bag is a large, comfortable, rectangle. If there is a good chance that cold will become cold and wet, Mr. Heater is a welcome addition. Coldest camp so far this season was a 38f morning, I covered up but didn't zip-up the rectangle bag. (Teton Sports Celsius XXL -18 Degree C / 0 Degree F Flannel Lined Sleeping Bag (90"x 39"), no additional heat in tent.)

Game Carts (think hunting) are great for transporting camp kit from vehicle to camp site... Sometimes you just can't get the 4x4 as close as you would like.
    Phil
    Group: Canvas
    Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
    Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Super Moderator renodesertfox is on a distinguished road renodesertfox's Avatar

And if it's 20F for Phil, it's colder for us! Our coldest camp was -20F with bags rated to -30 and our Big Buddy kept our Kodiak Canvas tent warm enough for tee-shirt living! Just saying....+50F is also summer weather for some of us. Dress in layers and camp that way too. We use to live in sunny Las Vegas but camping on the desert in the winter, nights have often gotten down into the 20F easily. Hogsnapper says it's best, one needs the best sleeping bag one can afford! If you don't have a warm comfortable sleep, even in a house, you won't enjoy your camping experience, that's just the way it is, at least for us.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

The Banned One!!!! 05Kingquad700 is on a distinguished road 05Kingquad700's Avatar

take extra blakets and clothes if you are worried about being cold. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
    Total number of nights camping in 2014: 4
    Kodiak Canvas 10x14 BowFlex Deluxe Tent
    Marmot Limelight
    Eno doublenest hammock w/ Kelty 12x12 noah tarp

I have always heard its not wise to use propane heaters in tents.

West Texan is on a distinguished road West Texan's Avatar

I've heard the same thing, but I get cold fairly easily and last winter used my heater in the tent. I did take precautionary measures though... set it up on its own little stand I made of an overturned aluminum pan to keep it off the tent floor and also made sure there was plenty of ventilation. Course, neither of my current tents have full coverage rain flys. The bigger tent is an 8 man tent and the smaller is a 4 man tent. Have not had any problems in either one with the heater.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information