Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's see some canvast tents

Originally posted by Phil_R View Post
    I started camping in canvas tents, switched to light-weight tents for about 3 decades. Have a good collection of light-weights, tents and camping hammocks, prefer canvas anytime a machine is carrying the load. The Kodiak 10' x 10' is my truck tent, Springbar Outfitter 3 is my motorcycle tent.

Phil
    I tend to agree about choosing canvas. Maybe it is just nostalgic for me, but it feels warmer, some-how safer, and more home-like. Maybe it is the smell of the canvas that reminds me of feeling safe with Dad around as a kid. Bears? Hey, my Dad is here; I'm not worried. We're safe. Motorcycle gang in the camp? Too bad for them; my Dad is here. Tornado? Exciting AND... it's OK because Dad is here.

Of course, I was reminded on a recent trip that canvas tents are superior in dry weather. When the rain is coming down hard, the nylon tents with rain fly are preferred.

Comment

I cut my teeth on canvas tents, I'd estimate I have three in my past. That said, "I like the smell of canvas too!" (mold). Jokes aside, I'd still be a canvas camper if i could justify the 2X weight. It's all good if your beer is cold and the fire is hot!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Here is my Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas tent set up in the yard. At 7'x8' and 68" tall, this is my solo tent I use for motorcycle camping.

Front/right-side view:

Rear view:
        Phil
        Group: Canvas
        Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
        Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

Here is my Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas tent set up in the yard. At 7'x8' and 68" tall, this is my solo tent I use for motorcycle camping.

Front/right-side view:

]
          WOW, That is one very sweet tent, Phil.

Is it motorcycle friendly? How much does it weigh and about how big does it fold up? What do you do with the poles on a motorcycle?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Is it motorcycle friendly? How much does it weigh and about how big does it fold up? What do you do with the poles on a motorcycle?
            Weight of tent, poles, stakes, and ground cloth is 40 pounds, tent alone is 20 pounds. Tent packs to 26" x 10" and poles pack to 33" x 4". (Close to width of saddlebags and handlebars... if my mirrors clear, the tent poles have room to spare.)

Tent, poles, sleeping-bag, and Thermarest travel on the passenger seat, everything else goes in the saddlebags. This is just enough gear on the passenger seat to make a nice backrest. Takes me about 30 minutes to break camp and pack the bike... 20 minutes to make camp.
            Phil

Comment

Weight of tent, poles, stakes, and ground cloth is 40 pounds, tent alone is 20 pounds. Tent packs to 26" x 10" and poles pack to 33" x 4". (Close to width of saddlebags and handlebars... if my mirrors clear, the tent poles have room to spare.)

Tent, poles, sleeping-bag, and Thermarest travel on the passenger seat, everything else goes in the saddlebags. This is just enough gear on the passenger seat to make a nice backrest. Takes me about 30 minutes to break camp and pack the bike... 20 minutes to make camp.
              That sounds about right for size and weight.

How far do you ride to go camping? What kind of stove do you use if any?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                How far do you ride to go camping? What kind of stove do you use if any?
                I prefer to limit my day's travel to 300 miles or less, I travel just to travel, usually with no set time limit or destination. Our next campout is 140 miles away, but my wife is carrying the camp kit in the truck. I will ride the scoot, but won't really carry any camping gear. Camp Chef Expedition 2X Double Burner Stove will handle the cooking for our upcoming campout.

I usually carry my backpacking cook kit when traveling by bike, don't really cook, mostly boil water on an alcohol stove. (Hot tea, Ramen noodles, etc... ) I can do quite a bit of camping without leaving my home county, Suwannee County, FL. The Suwannee River affords many camping opportunities, especially if you have a boat.
                Phil

Comment

Wow, I stumbled on this glorious canvas tent on Monte Dodge's webpage for retro camping gear pics. This is a 1960's vintage Sears "Ted Williams" canvas tent. You could hold threegenerations of families in this tent. Party!

Comment

Here is a beautiful Hirsch Weiss tent that is being sold on ebay, but I thought it such a fine example that I gleaned the pics. This is a 16' X 9' X 8.5' tall. Mmmmmmm enjoy while the pics last. I think once the auction ends, the pics will come down.

Comment

Here is another classic Hirsch Weiss from an ebay auction. Looks cool. Doesn't look rainproof anymore, but we get the idea. Notice how this just seems to blend with the outdoor environment. Description:
                      STYLE 8194-12
                      FABRIC 8.5oz WATER RESISTANT
                      CUT SIZE 9 x 12
                      APPROX FINISHED SIZE 11'10" x 8'10"

Last edited by Mike; 12-18-2012, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Here is a teal colored canvas umbrella tent circa 1960's or early 1970's. No brand found on it, but a timeless design. The earliest records I have found for canvas umbrella tents goes back to the 1920's. Finally a pic from INSIDE the tent that shows how these tents got their name and solves the mystery for those who have never been inside.

Comment

Another ebay find. An advertisement for a Wilcox tent from 1927. Too cool Notice that this umbrella tent does not have a center pole, but has four internal legs - so they already knew the shortcomings of the center pole back in the day, but the center-pole continued to thrive at least until the 1970's
                          Two sizes: 7'X 7' or 9.5' X 9,5'

Comment

Ahhh, those must have been the days.... 1926. Get yourself a couple of old canvas umbrella tents, a canoe, a book, a lady dressed in knickers sailor uniform, and you can relive it just nearly exactly as it was. Don't forget the USA flag on top of the tent or what appears to be a glass bottle of American Au Ju (Ketchup) on the table.

Comment

Thanks again to ebay for a treasure of vintage canvas tent photos. Here is a Coleman Vagabond II Who knows the year? Notice the vrtical pole rather than the skeleton poles... and sagging deflated look. Notice the color coded tape on the poles. I do that too. Future generations of owners will thank whoever did the coding. Description:
                              COLEMAN VAGABOND II
                              10 x 8
                              Inside measures 9' x 11'9" with center height 90"

Last edited by Mike; 12-18-2012, 05:21 AM.

Comment

absolutely love the old timey pictures as well as the canvas tents themselves...
                                If we can ever get our act together and take some decent pictures of our Kodiak canvas set up
                                we will try to post them here for all to see...

Comment

Working...
                                X