Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need new camping meal ideas

Originally posted by wildhands1 View Post
    We also like to make Breakfast Burritos. With 4 hungry kids, they go fast. We pre-make them at home. You can use which ever breakfast meat you like, eggs, potatoes, onions, and peppers all scrambled together. When it has cooled enough it won't melt the cheese, you mix the scrambled ingredients together with the cheese and roll up your burritos in tin foil squares. If you use the 8" tortillas, they fit into quart ziploc bags really well, keeping them dry in the cooler. Then, because they are wrapped in foil, when you are ready you can throw them right on the grill.
    I wuvvvvv breakfast burritos for the few times I actually make breakfast which seems to pretty much coincide w/ camping. The fact that you can pre make em is certainly appealing for the early morn lazy lima beans like self and I wish all my camping party enjoyed them. Unfortunately my granddghtr is still in a food can't touch phase and won't eat them; her loss though. I have noticed that nonstick aluminum foil or oiling regular foil makes the cleanup easier.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by wildhands1 View Post
      Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned omelets in a bag yet. They are really easy to prepare ahead of time. Just cut up your veggies and pre-cooked meats, and cheeses and portion them out into ziploc bags. When you are ready, crack a few eggs into the bag and scramble them all up. Seal the bag and submerge into a pot of warm but not boiling water and your omelet will set up and slide right out of the bag.
      A luverly standby made better with the new boilable food safe bags .
      Thanks for the reminder and welcome to the forum...looking forward to hearing more from ya!
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Spent Sunday churning out meatless dishes fer the freezer:

Spinach, fried eggplant,'shrooms and asparagus lasagna. Hopefully the Princess will eat it w/o my having to disassemble it. Yeah well a grrl can dream:rolleyes:.

Pureed asparagus soup base. I'll add more broth or dairy on site.

Ratatouille. We just wuvvvvvv that stuff. Serve it anytime of the day and it's good.

Classic mac+ cheese. Stewed tomatoes, mac and cheese.

Broccoli quiche. Broccoli and 'shroom hand turnovers. Asparagus and 'shroom hand turnovers.

Also did some flash freezing of onions, garlic and celery. Eliminates the need to chop at the campground.

Next week it'll be premade breakfast items and I'll be about done.
        2017:

Comment

Someone on here turned me on to "The One Burner Gourmet for Campers, Hikers, Boaters, Backpackers, Canoeists Paperback"
          by Harriett Barker. Have only cooked a couple of recipes from here but full of great ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradowalt View Post
            Someone on here turned me on to "The One Burner Gourmet for Campers, Hikers, Boaters, Backpackers, Canoeists Paperback"
            by Harriett Barker. Have only cooked a couple of recipes from here but full of great ideas.
            Is that the book with a variety of cuisines...one of which might be Persian? What have ya made so far?
            2017:

Comment

Well I've almost completed my pre made meals this weekend. Today, the Princess and I concentrated on breakfast items and baked goods. I've hopes she'll want to eat items she had a hand in producing and I no longer have to put on early morn floor shows at the campground. Last year I was required to do a Weird Al Yankovich rendition of "Eat It' which amused a nabe campsite grandmother to the point that she confided I was helpful in reminding her why she only camped with her grands for periods lasting no more than 2 nights.

So we made:

Pumpkin spice; carrot and zucchini, and pumkin spice and grated veggies added muffins. Yeah I'm on following that 7 servings of veggies thunk.
              Gingerbread squares.Dunno. She likes gingerbread year round.
              Citrus shortcake. This as been a fav since I found the recipe online and makes a great sub for shortcakes during berry season.
              Breakfast burritos with tons of veggies, scrambled eggs, various breakfast meats + salsa and noooo cheese since she doesn't like it.
              Egg white muffins with veggies added. Half were made with small amts of white soft cheeses that I lied like a rug and said was silken tofu.....
              Whole fried egg muffins with peppers+ onions...think an Egg MCmuffin with veggies added.
              Banana pancakes.

We are only going away for 16 days but she's often here on weekends and during summer vacations so might as well get the work out of the way now.
              We'll also have yogurt and berries, granola and yogurt, and individual packs of cold cereal available for breakfast but decided I'm buying those ingredients pre made this year. A Whole Foods opened down the street from me and they'll do fine.

Since strawberries are on sale this way I smushed up a bunch and threw em in a ZipLoc bag for sauce atop dessert or pancakes or as ingredients in a yougurt, breakfast shakes, etc. Also quartered some berries and flash freezed em. They look pretty plus kiddos have been known to snack on em whilst still frozen as an ice pop substitute.
              2017:

Comment

I really like NUTNFANCY's Shepherd's Pie. I have made it several times, and it can be done with a good stove! Just do a Youtube search and you will find it.

Comment

Finally made a quick version of pork-chicken stock.

Don't do it!

The pork needs a lot more cooking time and doesn't release it's essence as fast as the chicken. I tried doubling the time for the pork before adding the poultry and it just dinna work. Thank goodness most of the ingredients were on sale since the final product went into the garbage:(.
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    Finally made a quick version of pork-chicken stock.

Don't do it!

The pork needs a lot more cooking time and doesn't release it's essence as fast as the chicken. I tried doubling the time for the pork before adding the poultry and it just dinna work. Thank goodness most of the ingredients were on sale since the final product went into the garbage:(.
                    Good to know.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

One of our favorites on a cool evening is Jambalaya.

1 lb. pork link sausages or kielbasa
                      2 onions (chopped)
                      1 cup parsley (fresh is better & does make a difference!)
                      4 cloves garlic (less is okay if you're not a garlic fan)
                      1 - 15oz. can tomatoes
                      1 tsp thyme
                      1/2 tsp salt (optional)
                      2 cups instant dry rice
                      2 cups water
                      1 lb. frozen, peeled shrimp
                      Optional - for hearty version add some chopped chicken

Heat dutch oven with coals underneath (not on top). Slice sausage links or kielbasa into small bite-sized slices. Fry up the sausage/kielbasa with the chopped onions until onions are soft/clear. Add garlic and parsley. Continue to fry until parsley is softened. Add thyme, tomatoes, water, salt & rice. Bring mixture (stir occasionally) to a boil. Once boiling - add the shrimp (and chicken if you are doing the hearty version).

Best if you can keep on low heat for long time (4 hours). But, if you want you can do a quick version where you just cook on higher heat. As soon as rice is soft - you can serve and enjoy. A long simmer really brings out the flavors though. Again, this is a great meal when the weather is cooler. Yum!
                      Nights camping in 2014: 18
                      Nights camping in 2015: 24
                      Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                        Good to know.
                        Hehehe. You wouldn't say that if you tasted the Chinese soup a well made pork-chicken stock makes..........which sounds like bragging but actually is just a fact.
                        I made a regular batch of stock and actually remembered to add the soy and rice wine this time. Last year I neglected to do that and the soup tasted kinda blah. Alright alright. It was worst than blah and we ate out that night .
                        2017:

Comment

I like the idea of premaking at home. I bet that saves a lot of time when camping.

Comment

A pound of precooked stew meat, sliced potatoes, carrots, and a can of cream of mushroom soup in a pie tin for hobos.

Comment

Working...
                            X