Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

1. You either love bacon or you're wrong.
    2. "Do you want my leftover bacon?, asked no one ever.
    3. Do you want to know how good bacon is? To improve other food, they wrap it in bacon. ~ Jim Gaffigan

Oh yeah - Looks like it was a good trip. And your lake shot is another one making think I need to expand my horizons. Of course a ten hour trip to Indiana isn't quite do-able in the foreseeable future. :arf:

Comment

Thanks for the post....it looks like a great spot! I checked it out and it's only about a 2.5 hr drive for me, so I"ve added it to my [ever growing] list of "camping spots within a 6 hour drive" that I've put together for my wife and I to use when making shorter trips (weekend to a few days).
      Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Now I really want to go camping.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Have you been to Kanawha State Forest outside Charleston, West Virginia? It is one of our favorite parks and there is a little babbling stream close to each site. Sometimes the stream is next to the site and sometimes across the road.

Comment

That's now added to my list. The sites look fantastic...here's a link to one I found online....
            https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location..._Virginia.html

Thanks!
            Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Yep, not all of the site are like that. Some have small trickle streams across the road.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello Fellow Campers!!!

I grabbed another opportunity to "get out there" and continued to go camp lakeside here in IN. This trip took me to Summit Lake State Park...which is located just under an hour drive from my home. This trip was a similar quick quick Sunday thru Tuesday getaway as my journey to Starve Hollow Lake was a few weeks back. Once again, just like a few weeks back...my camping partner in crime on this trip was Jet...my big boy Doberman. He did great this trip as before and has really settled in as far as what "camping" entails. He was mostly good around the campsite (a chewed glove the only casualty) and he did great out on the trails and within the campground.

There were a few campers around...I counted 12 or so on average...mostly on the few sites facing water/lake access (of which mine was...and my site was truly probably the best in the entire campground for lake access and tenting. Being a local has it's benefits). This is a popular park for those who enjoy lake activities (fishing, canoeing, and kayaking) as it is decent size at 900 acres. The water level is down more than a foot right now. It is also a bird watchers heaven as many birds spend all their time here or migrate through and make a pit stop here. I saw so many birds...but the highlight was watching a bald eagle cruise past my campsite as it flew along the shoreline. A half hour later...it came back past...going the other direction. So cool. And......as expected for a non-weekend stay at this time of the year...the place was uncrowded and was quiet...during the day...during the night. Just wonderfully quiet actually. Jet and I saw no one while hiking the trails.

Temps were perfect tent camping weather my entire trip---sunny (hazy a bit due to the wildfire smoke making it's way here now), mostly clear at night, with temps averaging upper 70's day and low 50's night. There was a wind which made a jacket (and the campfire!) feel good as the sun went down.

Once again, I did not have the assistance of my spouse for fixing up "eats" and was left to my own creativity. I simplified some of my meals on this trip, mainly breakfast to speed my ability to get out of camp and hike...and get camp packed up early and head for home. Everything was cooked using cast iron skillets and the grill accessory for my portable Pop-up Pit. Dinner night 1 (which occurred close to midnight) was beef hot dogs and Doritos. Breakfast day two was Spiced Oatmeal with raisins and a banana. Lunch day 2 was pb&j with chips. Dinner day 2 is where I "cooked". I enjoyed my ribeye the last time out so this time I did a 16oz ribeye with sauteed mushrooms in butter and light garlic, shredded "Hungry Jack" potatoes (dehydrated in the little box), and baked beans. It turned out great and the cleanup was a breeze with the CI skillets (mine are well seasoned). Breakfast day 3 was Cherry Frosted Poptarts. lol---I broke camp at 7:00am and was pulling out at 7:45am....so no time for fancy bfast.

Speaking of the Popup Pit...it is one of my favorite pieces of gear. My site had a crappy iron circle tucked back near the woodline with no view of the lake. I fixed that viewpoint problem by "moving" my fire using the portable pit to an open area where I could sit, cook, and watch lake activity. It really is a game changer as it allows me to customize my campsite based on my equipment, weather, etc.

Few pics: Camp after set up, Morning View from my site, dusk view with the last of the logs burning out in the pit, My fancy dinner cooking, and My fancy dinner ready to eat.

Take care everyone! Hope everyone can "get out there" soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9.15 numbr 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	71224 Click image for larger version

Name:	9.15 numbr 2.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	71225 Click image for larger version

Name:	9.15 numbr 3.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	71226 Click image for larger version

Name:	9.15 numbr 4.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	71227 Click image for larger version

Name:	9.15 numbr 5.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	71228
                Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-15-2020, 01:23 PM.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

We spent a few days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The leaves are changing and it was a beautiful few days. I have to admit traveling in our Zion SRT has been a game changer with Covid. We have to have very little interaction with people. With the large fridge and pantry I was able to take more than enough food for the trip, no stops for ice was needed.

On the way down we found Beaver State Park in West Virginia. Very nice sites and a quiet park.

Name:	9BCFC59F-BAB1-41BF-9BBE-E5AC7F31FEC2.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	71232
                  Then we went into Raleigh for night for time with our daughter. We got up the next morning and hit the road for the parkway. Our first two nights were at Rocky Knob Campground. We have stayed here before and we love this campground. We are also very lucky to find a level site. We spent some time exploring the area and my husband took a short hike. It was so relaxing.

Name:	329FB0DB-1B86-4852-AF60-6F99E2AE32E0.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	71234Click image for larger version

Name:	37EAD1EA-9156-4624-8E9C-14000AF6C2E5.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	71233
                  Then we moved on to Peaks Of Otter Creek Campground. This was a really nice campground with several trails leading from the park. Unfortunately rain moved in so we didn’t get to spend much time exploring. Because of the rain we got up and headed home. All in all it was very successful trip.

Name:	E0507D45-5547-470D-9256-4EDEF9DE3CD8.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	71235 Click image for larger version

Name:	E6083BA2-CEF2-44C5-8256-400B9D9C2651.jpg
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	71236
                  Last edited by Denni2; 10-16-2020, 06:33 AM.

Comment

That looks like heaven.

Comment

Working...
                    X