Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    No need to be sorry. Guess I should've put some emoticons in there to show I wasn't seriously pissed off. Summers are just brutal on the east coast when you work outside. Fortunately, I'm not too keen on summer camping anyway for just the reason you mentioned. Also fortunately, my job slacks off in Fall and nearly dies in the Winter - and that's when the camping's the best IMHO.
    What do you do?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
      What do you do?
      The full time job is an exterminator. I also do handyman repairs in the neighborhood and photo restoration/custom greeting cards, but the last two I can pick and choose when I want to work.

Comment

The full time job is an exterminator. I also do handyman repairs in the neighborhood and photo restoration/custom greeting cards, but the last two I can pick and choose when I want to work.
        I feel you. I have worked construction in one form or another for the last 20 years. This year has been brutal and I am currently a Construction Manager again. Meaning I don't have to (or shouldn't have to) do much, if any, actual work. Still, this summer has been brutal. I was thinking it was just me but others have said the same thing.

All the more reason to get to higher ground.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          I feel you. I have worked construction in one form or another for the last 20 years. This year has been brutal and I am currently a Construction Manager again. Meaning I don't have to (or shouldn't have to) do much, if any, actual work. Still, this summer has been brutal. I was thinking it was just me but others have said the same thing.

All the more reason to get to higher ground.
          Not that I can get away any time soon, but I keep a link to western Maryland weather right next to the local forecast. In what seems to be typical Maryland fashion we'll get an abrupt change in seasons and I'll suddenly see the temperatures in the mountains dropping a bit more than here. Then I'll know it won't be long 'til I can go chill out for some long weekends.

Comment

Not that I can get away any time soon, but I keep a link to western Maryland weather right next to the local forecast. In what seems to be typical Maryland fashion we'll get an abrupt change in seasons and I'll suddenly see the temperatures in the mountains dropping a bit more than here. Then I'll know it won't be long 'til I can go chill out for some long weekends.
            Ha! I do basically the same thing. I even go so far as to have certain areas on my phone's weather app. That way I get all the notifications and can keep an eye on things in places I like to go.
            – E. B. White

Comment

Hey Fellow Campers. I was back out again this past weekend to Starve Hollow State Rec Area. I've been here last year (and posted some pics in this thread so I'll "try" to keep this trip write-up shorter than normal).

Starve Hollow Rec Area is only about 280 total acres. 140 of it is lake...140 is campground, beach, and open area (it abuts and has access to the larger Jackson State Forest with 18,000 acres). This is a popular fishing lake. One can rent rowboats, canoes, and kayaks (or bring your own. Trolling motors only on lake). The campground consists of 150 sites in 3 separated sections: full hookups-53 sites, electric-87 sites, and nonelectric-10. The best sites imo are in the electric section where most all sites are shaded and some have lakeside camping (we stay along the lakefront in one of these sites-it's worth it to fish whenever you please without a walk).

Temps typical of IN in early August. Upper 80's day...mid 60's night. Small breeze until sunset..which helped. Clear night skies and a bright moon over the lake made for a nice night-time view from the tent (I kept the lakeside part, with the door, of the fly open, which gave us a great view all night).

Campground indicated "full", but I would guess it was 90% occupied. I counted a total of 12 campsites with tents in the electric section (out of the maybe 65 occupied). There was not a single tent in the full hook-up RV land. None in the non-electric (except for a pop-up). There was only one Movie Theater going in the RV land (Pirates of the Carribean-lol). Our section quieted down nicely an hour before quiet hours began (which has been my experience each time here).

Brought the Big Agnes Yahmonite 5p (the pyramid tent in pics) for wife and myself, the Marmot Limestone 4p (not in pics) for my son and dog, and loaned/gave a Coleman Sundome 4p to my daughter and her boyfriend (they brought their dog camping for the first time---so a loaner/have it---is what they got. Their dog did great btw).

Food was cooked mostly on the Blackstone portable griddle. The bacon and French Toast breakfast and the Italian Sausage with peppers/onions turned out especially well. The rest was standard camp food on the fire or single burner and some quick no cook breakfast items for the packup and leave morning.

The fish only went crazy on the bite Saturday after sunset for about an hour. I was throwing Jitterbugs and other top water baits and did well on the fun sized bass (the pic is about the average size). After that hour...nothing. And nothing before either. But that hour...what fun!

While packing up, we noticed a Cicada had crawled up under the rainfly of my son's tent and molted into it's adult form. It's body and wings were still "wet" so we gently picked it up and put it on a nearby tree. What a neat thing to see!

Until next time...happy camping everyone!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	38544022_10211260322773794_1854203309431193600_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	71064Click image for larger version

Name:	38529018_10211260327453911_5268252764114255872_o.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	71061Click image for larger version

Name:	38451342_265361314265468_1742820981946187776_n.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	71063Click image for larger version

Name:	38504346_10211265712908544_5445927228913221632_o.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	71062Click image for larger version

Name:	38454911_10211264251792017_1105856308084473856_o.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	71065
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

• Labor day 2018

Made it to the mountains and back...
                The weather was pretty good; Lows in the 50s, highs in the 70s, only sprinkled a couple of times, didn't have to get out the bug spray!
                Only had one buck visit camp; 3 or 4 points on each antler.

Here are some pics...

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp LD 2018 50 DSCF0313.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	71067Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded Jeep LD 2018 50 DSCF0304.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	71068Click image for larger version

Name:	tent inside LD 2018 50 DSCF0306.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	71069
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-04-2018, 07:19 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Happy Joe - sounds as if you had good weather for camping (and no bug spray needed-yay!). Looks like you had some good privacy. Thanks for sharing pics of your campsite. I always wondered how you packed up your Jeep for camping...
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    Happy Joe - sounds as if you had good weather for camping (and no bug spray needed-yay!). Looks like you had some good privacy. Thanks for sharing pics of your campsite. I always wondered how you packed up your Jeep for camping...
                    Loading the Jeep is a giant game of 3D tetris...
                    I had already removed the tarp and tent before I remembered to take the pic (the 10x11 tarp/groundcloth is last in & first out and basically covers everything even when folded.
                    Still figuring out the optimum loading for this TJ.

Enjoy!
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      Loading the Jeep is a giant game of 3D tetris...
                      Yep. lol---I've camped with vehicles that had "just enough" space. And when vehicle space is really really really at a premium...it's only a game you can play. Everything fits only in a certain way and in a certain order. If you packed the vehicle leaving home, you gotta pack it going home...or stuff won't fit.

sigpic

Comment

When I took a friend out with me last year, we had so much stuff that barely fit that I actually took a couple of pictures of the truck bed so we'd know how to get it all back in at the end of the trip. And I just used that same idea to pack my Ryobi tools case so I could squeeze everything in to avoid moving up to a larger case. Anything to get the most stuff in the least amount of space.

Comment

When I took a friend out with me last year, we had so much stuff that barely fit that I actually took a couple of pictures of the truck bed so we'd know how to get it all back in at the end of the trip. And I just used that same idea to pack my Ryobi tools case so I could squeeze everything in to avoid moving up to a larger case. Anything to get the most stuff in the least amount of space.
                          lol. Genius! That is a good idea. I've taken pics of things I'm about to take apart so I have some reference of how it should look when it is put back together. Although I have really worked hard over the past few years to reduce the amount of gear I bring on a trip...and also reduce the size/weight of the gear that does come along. I'm fairly settled on my set-up. I've not suffered packing difficulties since.

sigpic

Comment

In terms of gear(stuff; not drivetrain ratio) reduction; I was in good shape until I got this porta-pot and upgraded the cooler... unfortunately the TJ Jeep doen't seem to have as much room inside as the Ol' CJ-7 Jeep due to the fatter, repositioned seats (used to carry the cooler between the front seats) and dash having been moved back.
                            Oh well; just have to make do, I guess... If room got really critical, I could make another off road trailer; still have a couple of axles without a home...

Enjoy!

Comment

I've been so spoiled with the clipper - never really worried about my gear. With the FnR, I have very little actual cupboard space or outside storage space, so I am having to really play around to get the gear loaded practically. I'm hoping by next year I'll have it down to an art.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I guessing that most of us have developed routines when it comes to packing/pitching camp/take down, etc. There's a good way to do it and eventually one gets to their good way via reps and experience.

The real challenge I think, (even for camping veterans), is when your "camping" vehicle changes. It requires a new way of packing/thinking. A new routine. A new game of Tetris as Happy Joe said. What fit before here, behind the seat....doesn't quite fit behind these seats...not like before, oh but it does fit nice over here...etc. etc.

It's always easier getting a vehicle with more space...it's just a matter of finding what fits conveniently for unpacking/accessibility (although one must prevent the slow insidious disease of gear creep....where you bring something, just in case, 'cause there is still some room to pack it over here). It's when you go to a smaller sized vehicle that one's creativity and "what do I really truly need to go camp?" comes into play.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X