Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

We haven’t really been able to camp much this year. We started a home improvement project in April that seems like it will never end.

We did buy a minivan with plans to sleep in and to use sorta like a teardrop for traveling, and hopefully extend our camping season. We don’t really like using the tent for those quick over nights when the tent needs to be packed before the dew drys.

We did camp in the van on our way to our family vacation in North Carolina. We had plans to stay in southern Ohio but when we arrived they had flash flood warnings so we headed for Charleston, WV. We found a really nice campground in Kanawha State Forest. It was quite and right outside Charleston. Most of the campsites were next to a stream and the sites were nicely spaced. They have flush toilets and showers. We were able to stay there on our way home also.

The second night on the way down we stayed at Blue Ridge Parkway Rocky Knob Campground. It was a nice campground although many of the tent sites we very unlevel. We were in the van so the ranger let us pick an RV site.
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Click image for larger version

Name:	AE3DCF91-5154-4B29-A8F0-50E98396AA6F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	71053
    I only had one picture turn out. This is Kanawha State Forest.[/COLOR]

Comment

I too purchased a minivan this Spring and love it! Had my son take out the center row of seats and fold down the third row. So nice to pack up in stages instead of having to do it all at once with the pickup. I also have stayed in the van at my pond using a narrow cot and my luggable loo. The rest of my gear is stored at the pond in deck boxes that lock. Great for a quick over night stay and not wanting to have to set up the tent. Those seats won't go back in the van until sometime this fall! I have camping to do!

Comment

Hey fellow campers! I hope you are all out camping (share some pics!!!). For the past 4 days, I was back "out there" again, visiting another fine Indiana state park. This camping trip was to Indiana Dunes State Park, located in the far NW corner of Indiana in Chesterton, Indiana. This park totals almost 2,200 acres, 16 miles of hiking trails, and an electric campground with 140 "very level, very large, very nice" sites separated into 2 sections. It has a nice sandy swimming beach on Lake Michigan and a separate dog-friendly beach further down from the swimming beach (Willa had a blast here!). The state park is encircled by the larger Dunes National Lake Shore...which provides even more beach, trail/scenery, and historical activities. I grew up just 15 minutes from "the Dunes" and my wife and I spent a large amount of our late/teens and 20's exploring every trail and experiencing every season. It was great to get back to this place and share it with our son and Willa-dog.

The weather was actually not very "July-like" for Indiana....as the day time temps never went above 78 and the lows at night dipped into the upper 50's. Fairly windy (10-15 mph) the entire time, except at night when it calmed. Rained Sat and on/off Sunday am. But....the cool temps made for an excellent time at camp, sleeping conditions, having a campfire, and hiking the trails/sand dunes. It wasn't so good for swimming as they closed the beach due to the strong winds from the north creating high waves/surf and rip currents. lol---This was ok for me since I have always felt Lake Michigan water was cold....regardless of season. The cool temps and closed swimming beach made for a nearly empty beach...which was excellent for exploring. This is a popular park for visitors from Illinois/Chicagoland area as it is very close to the Illinois border.

We had a smaller campsite since I made reservations relatively late this past winter. Weekends book solid and week nights fill quickly for the summer season. With the smaller pad on the site...I took the Marmot 4P (wife and I) and the Big Agnes Yahmonite 4P (son and Willa dog). They set up nicely under the Noah 16 which gave us coverage from the expected periodic showers (and we got some). Anchoring the tarp in sandy soils was interesting as I had a line/stake (or two) pull out as I was setting it up. I got it...but it isn't the taut pitch I shoot for. Also...for campers interested in how far I run my 2 main pole guylines, you can seen in pic #1---these are 25 footers (I used about 20 foot length after tensioning).

Also....the oaks above dripped sap (and dive bombed small acorns) all over the tarp and the tents (and the 4runner). It appears to wash off with some water and some scrubbing...unlike pine sap...but the sticky goo is one more thing I need to get done before I head out again. Food was basic camp fare. We also took a couple of trips into town to eat and treat (DQ).

The campground and comfort stations are very nice and clean. Level sites all over....perfect for tents at most sites. Campground was sold out the entire time we were there...however, the campground did have a few empty spots every night...I am assuming those are cancels due to the weather. I was also pleased to see a large number of sites with tents (20+). I lost count...but it was definitely the highest % I've seen this year. lol....and...only 1 (one!!!) movie theater going the entire time. The campground also kicked down nicely into very quiet mode when the clock struck the designated time. I don't have a ranking of the Indiana State Park campgrounds....but this one was on it's game.

We all had a great time. Up next......in less than 2 weeks is a camping/fishing trip to Starve Hollow Rec Area for a few nights and then a trip to Brown County State Park in September. The seasons in Indiana race on...

A few pics from this trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37750662_10211194022756335_2408639989131771904_o.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	71056Click image for larger version

Name:	37722799_10211194029956515_8642162841723338752_o.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	71057Click image for larger version

Name:	37750568_10211194029756510_8787463853089751040_o.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	71058Click image for larger version

Name:	37820361_10211194057157195_7741937516093112320_o.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	71059
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-24-2018, 04:31 PM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

hello all,
          recently just got back from spending a month on the road,
          not too much camping mostly hotels,
          4000 miles over 3 weeks
          then
          last week was cub scout camping with the son,
          well am back now and hopefully get some of my camping time in
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4912.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	71060

Comment

Sounds like everyone is having a great time out there. This past weekend, I took the Fold n Roll out for its maiden trip. Headed up to Union Valley Reservoir in the Sierras. Haven't been there since before I got the clipper - it was actually where I went for my maiden voyage in my first trailer.

Unfortunately, even up in the mountains, the weather was too hot for me (but better than back at home), so I spent most of the time in the campsite avoiding the sun. I did take the dogs for a walk in the mornings so they could hunt lizards. Bat-dog was in heaven! Moose-dog is getting old and wasn't into the hunt as much, but he did well with his new meds (for bad hips).

The trailer did well. The fresh water tank lasted up to the last morning, so 3 nights is its limit. Bed was comfortable and stove worked well. I do have to work on rearranging gear to make it more efficient. Didn't take any photos as I was still in my brace for my hand.

I just got the OK to stop using the brace yesterday, so my camping trip next month should be back on track with normal activities. I will be taking the clipper that trip.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
              Sounds like everyone is having a great time out there.
              No, NOT everyone. Some of us are working in oppressive heat and humidity (When it's not raining buckets for days). I hate you people with lives outside of work! OK - not really hate, but I'm a long way off from time out in the trees and dirt and your joy just makes it clear just how sucky it is here.

Comment

Sorry. If it's any consolation, it was really too hot at the campground to enjoy doing anything but sit and read... I did get about 3 books read.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

No need to be sorry. Guess I should've put some emoticons in there to show I wasn't seriously pissed off. Summers are just brutal on the east coast when you work outside. Fortunately, I'm not too keen on summer camping anyway for just the reason you mentioned. Also fortunately, my job slacks off in Fall and nearly dies in the Winter - and that's when the camping's the best IMHO.

Comment

Sorry. I should have added :mdr: to the prior post... :whistle::lol:

Comment

This forum is really dead, IDK why I even check in any more. I've been here for some years, but...
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

It's the end of the world as we know it
                        And I feel fine

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                          This forum is really dead, IDK why I even check in any more. I've been here for some years, but...
                          ...Everyone is either camping or otherwise occupied with life ...apparently... I have noticed a similar lack of activity on other non vehicle oriented camping forums.

I still look every day to see if there is anything new; not actively looking to change things at the moment so there isn't much gear wise, for me to talk about.

Enjoy!
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                            ...Everyone is either camping or otherwise occupied with life ...apparently... I have noticed a similar lack of activity on other non vehicle oriented camping forums.

I still look every day to see if there is anything new; not actively looking to change things at the moment so there isn't much gear wise, for me to talk about.

Enjoy!
                            Yep yep. I'm camping, taking care of life's gyrations, and....posting on the forum (well at least some pics/write-ups). But....there doesn't seem to be as much traffic or questions from new folks as in the past.

Speaking of camping (ahem-my apologies in advance )...but I'm off to Starve Hollow State Rec Area tomorrow for a weekend of camping/hiking/fishing. The focus for this trip is fishing...my site is on the lake (been here before...same site). Vehicle packed (except for cooler), took a half a day off at work and I'm off as soon as the boy gets home from school.
                            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Not much happening around here except hot and smoke. Will post when something happens.

Comment

I check in here at least 3 or 4 times a day. A lot of forums creep along in Summer. Vacations, running the kids around to get 'em off their phones and X-Boxes, tending to house duties... I'm just busy buying stuff I have no business buying. Got my 10th Pelican Storm case, an overpriced backpacking chair (Helinox Sunset), an overpriced backpacking table (Helinox Table One Hard Top) and an overpriced backpacking cot (Alps Mountaineering Ready Light). I can now get everything I need for an extended weekend in the cab of the truck and still see out all the windows.

Anyone know the numbers for the next Powerball?

Comment

Working...
                                X