Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Denni2 - Thank you for the quick review on the King Pine 4. From the pics, it looks like it has good interior height for a 4 person tent (I thought it might be a 6). It seems to get good reviews/writeups overall except for several indicating that it was difficult to setup by oneself (which isn't a problem for me as there is always two of us camping) and heavy (which isn't a big deal for a car camper).

Based on your comment on the bugs getting in the screen area from below, I am assuming that the footprint doesn't cover that area?
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier - I set this tent up by myself in the yard. It is tricky but possible. You have to balance one pole with on hand while inserting the next one. My husband had knee surgery just before the tent arrived and couldn't help. Plus he has had back issues in the past so I need to be able to completely set up and tear down by myself, nothing goes if I can't handle it. I wouldn't want a heavier tent. Also some of the reviews said the bag was too small. This is not the case, We had room for the footprint, mallet and extra stakes with no problem.

We purchased the footprint for the tent but bugs can still get in. There a sides on the floor that come inside and I put the footprint over them. I will try putting them on the footprint next time. I still think the bugs can get in and we could have the same issue with a screen tent.

The interior height is nice. We are not tall so we are considering a gear loft.

As a side note. Chain-O-Lakes is our usual spot to camp. We live about 30 minutes from there and we love the primitive section. It is the first place I took my husband camping. He is a city boy and it took me twenty years to get him in a tent. I wouldn't say he loves camping as I do but he is coming around.

Comment

A rainy, then damp Webelos II camp-out. But my son and I have great times on these trips and we stayed dry and comfortable in the Cloudpeak 4 (on the left). A variety of tents:

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

It is my goal in life to see a real life Moose... Where did you go camping?
          Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

a65hoosier:

I would say that your tent definitely won the "most likely to ride out bad weather" award!

Comment

Gearspoke - I also would love to see a moose someday (from a safe distance-I don't want an up close experience)! This campout was in Indiana...so no moose...no bears. Nothing here animal-wise that causes much bodily harm or sleepless nights.

hwc1954 - thanks! Boy Scout Motto - Be prepared. Oh...also on this trip, my son and I got to use the newly arrived Thermarest LuxMapps for the first time. Being a first time pad user, I was simply amazed (I should have gone this route earlier). Slept sound and warm. Didn't bottom out. Really comfortable. Didn't roll off. Woke up the first morning...and forgot I was in a tent. lol

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                Oh...also on this trip, my son and I got to use the newly arrived Thermarest LuxMapps for the first time. Being a first time pad user, I was simply amazed (I should have gone this route earlier). Slept sound and warm. Didn't bottom out. Really comfortable. Didn't roll off. Woke up the first morning...and forgot I was in a tent. lol
                Oooh! Very nice!

I still have a couple of early ones from the mid-1990s. Great product. Those old ones aren't nearly as nice as the fancy new Luxury Maps. Those are sweet.

Here's my tip for packlng them up. Open up the air valve(s) and roll them slowly with your knees on top of the roll to squeeze the air out as you go. When completely rolled up, close the valves. Then, unroll them.

Roll the up again with the valves closed until you get to the end. Then, open up the valves to let the last bit of air out. Then, close the valves and put em in the stuff sack.

That's the secret to getting them rollled back up tight.
                Last edited by hwc1954; 10-01-2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

hwc1954- thanks for the tip!

sigpic

Comment

We camped near Union and Utica in June at Spicer Meadow. I prefer Union, but there is no water and we had a large group.
                    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                    sigpic

Comment

This is our campsite in Cedar Crest, New Mexico. This is our Mountainsmith Morrison II tent. We originally bought a LLBean tent for this and future trips across country to use once we reached our destination. I posted pictures of it earlier. We purchased this 2 man tent for overnight stays for quick setup. Well the first night we used this tent the hubby loved the smaller tent, so the large tent wasn't used and the large tent is going back to LLBean.

Here is a couple of pictures from our hike on the Sandia Crest.

Comment

That looks awesome. Tent and sand mat looks great. Scenery on the hike is breathtaking!

Comment

Denni2 - Great to see and hear that you made your trip out to NM. Nice scenery for hiking! I remember some of your trip planning/discussion posts from this past summer.

Not surprising that you liked the Mountainsmith Morrison II tent. It has great specs and favorable reviews regarding the overall quality and ease of set-up. A lot of tent for the $$$.

Dang! Another pic of a sand mat. I really think I need to move one of those further up the "want" gear list. Come on Santa!

Guess you won't have to figure out the porch bug invasion issue anymore with the King Pine! lol.

Did you get a chance to have a campfire in the campground where you stayed? Or was it the communal firepit? Anything really really different camping in NM compared to IN?
                          Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-15-2014, 06:18 AM.

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier, The Mountainsmith Morrison II is a great tent. We were looking at a Limelight 2 and came across the Morrison II on sale. I was so happy to send the King Pine back. It was to big. We have a 6 person Coleman that we will use until it falls apart. I will be looking for a dome tent that will be easier to set up that hubby can stand up in. Even though he likes the Morrison, he still would like a larger tent he can stand up in.

We purchased the Sand Mat in 2011. It is always in the car. It has so many uses.

No campfire in New Mexico, not even the communal fire. They were in a drought so I understand. I missed the soft grass and real trees in the camp. We just used the campground for a shower and place to sleep. We did not cook there because they had a dish washing station you had to use to do dishes and it was outside on the side of a building filthy. We found a small local place to eat. I don't think I can fairly compare.

Comment

From my last trip, a few weeks back, took a selfie while waiting for the rest of the idiots to show up.

Comment

Awesome picture, Macgiver! That really captures the essence of camping. The wind chimes are a nice touch!

Comment

Working...
                                X