Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
    Just returned from a weekend at Chain O Lakes State Park. We had great weather, warm days and cool nights. Many of the sites were reserved but there were several no shows, probably because we had rain most of the week. Some of the sites had water standing. Our site was wet and had muddy spots, but no standing water. The primative campground was quite and very peaceful. This was a good weekend relaxing and reading.

This is trip was to try our new tent. I found a good price on a Marmot Limestone 4p. I really like this tent. It had plenty of room for our sleeping pads, Daisy's kennel, and our clothes. It is easy to set up and tear down which is a plus for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6071[/ATTACH]
    Hey Denni - Good to hear you had a good camping trip. Daisy is a cute pooch---love the fleece/sweater coat (I still have to get something for my dog---waiting til she's closer to full size).

I'll be staying for a couple of nights in the primitive area of Chain O Lakes in less than a month. Great park. lol...it IS a much different camping experience down the hill in the primitive "oval" compared to the main campground. I've found it soooo much quieter and peaceful---I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also pretty happy with the Limestone 4p (2016 model) I also purchased at a good discount this past spring (same color as yours). Marmot released an updated Limestone 4 and 6 for 2017 and most online retailers have had the 2016 models on decent clearance for awhile now. It's a good, durable/reliable tent and as you found...easy to pitch and easy to strike. When family car camping, it usually sleeps my son and our dog...my wife and I use the Limestone 6p.

Question: What is the "steering wheel" looking thingee just to the front and right of the your fire ring?
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
      Hey Denni - Good to hear you had a good camping trip. Daisy is a cute pooch---love the fleece/sweater coat (I still have to get something for my dog---waiting til she's closer to full size).

I'll be staying for a couple of nights in the primitive area of Chain O Lakes in less than a month. Great park. lol...it IS a much different camping experience down the hill in the primitive "oval" compared to the main campground. I've found it soooo much quieter and peaceful---I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also pretty happy with the Limestone 4p (2016 model) I also purchased at a good discount this past spring (same color as yours). Marmot released an updated Limestone 4 and 6 for 2017 and most online retailers have had the 2016 models on decent clearance for awhile now. It's a good, durable/reliable tent and as you found...easy to pitch and easy to strike. When family car camping, it usually sleeps my son and our dog...my wife and I use the Limestone 6p.

Question: What is the "steering wheel" looking thingee just to the front and right of the your fire ring?

a60hoosier, LOL. The "steering wheel" looking thingee is a "Kindling Cracker" https://www.kindlingcracker.com/. When we first started camping my husband bought a lightweight hatchet, he was very new to camping. It is really too light to be any good and I think it is dangerous. This year we decided to get a new hatchet or an ax. Before we got a chance to buy one I was watching YouTube and a video of this thing showed in my recommended feed. We decided to buy it and if it didn't work we could send it back. It works with very little effort.

Daisy is probably one of the best dogs I have ever had. She has been the perfect dog for camping. She doesn't bark at other campers. She is very friendly and likes to say "hi" but then she is done. She gets cold easy and loves her sweaters and she has a rain coat. This is the first dog I have ever dressed, our vet recommended we have jackets for her and she gets happy when we them on her. We also have a insect repellent shirt for her that was recommended by our vet. https://www.amazon.com/Insect-Shield.../dp/B007NABIC4. It does seem to keep the flies and mosquitos away.

I'm not sure what sites you like a Chain O Lakes, 413 is our favorite. If we keep getting rain, 409, 408, are wet a lot and had standing water. 407 had standing water and I am not sure about 405.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
        a60hoosier, LOL. The "steering wheel" looking thingee is a "Kindling Cracker" https://www.kindlingcracker.com/. When we first started camping my husband bought a lightweight hatchet, he was very new to camping. It is really too light to be any good and I think it is dangerous. This year we decided to get a new hatchet or an ax. Before we got a chance to buy one I was watching YouTube and a video of this thing showed in my recommended feed. We decided to buy it and if it didn't work we could send it back. It works with very little effort.

Daisy is probably one of the best dogs I have ever had. She has been the perfect dog for camping. She doesn't bark at other campers. She is very friendly and likes to say "hi" but then she is done. She gets cold easy and loves her sweaters and she has a rain coat. This is the first dog I have ever dressed, our vet recommended we have jackets for her and she gets happy when we them on her. We also have a insect repellent shirt for her that was recommended by our vet. https://www.amazon.com/Insect-Shield.../dp/B007NABIC4. It does seem to keep the flies and mosquitos away.

I'm not sure what sites you like a Chain O Lakes, 413 is our favorite. If we keep getting rain, 409, 408, are wet a lot and had standing water. 407 had standing water and I am not sure about 405.
        This is why I LOVE campsite photos. See pics of some great scenery and maybe discover new and different gear/set-ups/ideas etc.

Once you identified that as the Kindling Cracker...I instantly knew what you were describing because I have seen the same promos for the product-lol. It is good to hear it works well. Not sure how much I would take it camping as it appears heavy and weird to pack....but it certainly would make for easier kindling splitting for the fireplace at home.

My dog Willa and I are still in "campground training" since she's only 8 months old and has only camped with us since March. She'll still bark once or twice at some folks (but only a few-others she ignores). She's a Doberman (short coat) so she'll need an additional layer (or two) as the year moves into Fall and then Winter (we camp year round and plan on bringing her). I've been looking at a fleece undercoat and a larger winter style coat as the temps drop. Just waiting to see how big she's gonna get (hate to order a size she'll outgrow...see ya later $$$ - lololol).

Here she is trying out her new sleeping bag. I got tired of bringing the giant old adult bag for her, so this packs much smaller (12"x7"), is light enough to backpack with (1 lb 12oz), and is synthetic which should make cleaning easier. And it was inexpensive...since it is a kids sleeping bag. It's only a 40 degree, so I will have to boost it a bit with an additional blanket (or a fleece coat) when the temps drop towards into that range. But for what I paid...it's pretty decent quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Willa Sleeping Bag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	70832

Your link to the insect repellent shirt is excellent and set off a lightbulb. Not sure why I didn't think of DIYing something like this since I have everything needed at home. I might take one of my old wick-a-way tshirts, modify to fit her as necessary, and give it a treatment with some Sawyer Permethrin that I have on hand. FYI...once you launder Daisy's shirt enough, the protection may begin to fade. You can easily retreat with the above Sawyer product to regain repellency again.

Thanks for the site # update. I usually will jot down some good looking sites at every campground (and the bad ones with mud/standing water etc. if I can) so I have an idea "where's good" the next time I return. I'll be in site 411 which I believe has a gravelish tent pad. I was in 403 across the oval last year and it was very hot in the evening setting sun (I had the Noah about as low as it goes to block it out). Figure on the other side of the oval will at least get me some shade in the late afternoon/evening.

Take care! Thanks again for the info!
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-17-2017, 11:41 AM.
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I camp with a 50 LB short hair mixed breed that does not tolerate the cold. We have tried a few different winter coats and had no luck with them staying in place. My wife even tried sewing several styles with no luck. We found this coat last winter that worked great. Easy to put on and it did not ride back on her. It seems because of the short hair she has the coat would slide back and the nap of her fur would not let it slide back up. This one is nylon and that solved the problem. It is pricey but it works great. http://www.eurodogdesigns.com/HurttaSummitParkaDogCoat Good luck with the Pup. They make great camping buddies.

PS, I see you are in Central Indiana. I will be camping this weekend with a huge group of people with Teardrops and tiny travel trailers at McCormick Creek SP in Spenser IN. This is a bi annual Midwestern gathering. We take up the whole CG. About 125 sites total. Every kind of little trailer you can imagine. If you are close by and have any interest in seeing this kind of camping you are welcome to stop and talk to anyone there. Everybody is more then welcome and the campers love showing there trailers to visitors.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
            I camp with a 50 LB short hair mixed breed that does not tolerate the cold. We have tried a few different winter coats and had no luck with them staying in place. My wife even tried sewing several styles with no luck. We found this coat last winter that worked great. Easy to put on and it did not ride back on her. It seems because of the short hair she has the coat would slide back and the nap of her fur would not let it slide back up. This one is nylon and that solved the problem. It is pricey but it works great. http://www.eurodogdesigns.com/HurttaSummitParkaDogCoat Good luck with the Pup. They make great camping buddies.

PS, I see you are in Central Indiana. I will be camping this weekend with a huge group of people with Teardrops and tiny travel trailers at McCormick Creek SP in Spenser IN. This is a bi annual Midwestern gathering. We take up the whole CG. About 125 sites total. Every kind of little trailer you can imagine. If you are close by and have any interest in seeing this kind of camping you are welcome to stop and talk to anyone there. Everybody is more then welcome and the campers love showing there trailers to visitors.
            Ha! She's rapidly becoming a great camping buddy (and right now the only one that actually likes it when I wake her up early in the morning for a brisk hike). Thank you for the dog coat experience/insight and the link. I've been surfing the web trying to get some ideas before I actually have to make a decision. I think a lot of this "pet" stuff is pricey. lol. Here is a link to k9apparel, a cottage maker who creates custom coats cut esp for your specific breed's body shape. Again...pricey stuff. It appears to be very nice...and very good quality. Made in USA. Good lordy...it's just like camping equipment...do you buy once and cry once...or go the other route and maybe cry over and over and over again. lol

https://k9apparel.com/collections/doberman-pinscher

McCormicks Creek SP is a nice park (the first in IN park system)---been many times. Since the park was established/laid out so long ago, the campsites are smaller "overall" than some of our newer park's campgrounds---but still a good campground with wooded/shaded sites. I'm maybe an hour and half to the north and east of the park (far northside of Indy in the subs).

Make sure to hike down to see the waterfall/streambed on trail 3 and visit Wolf Cave on trail 5 (easy trail) which can be accessed with a connector trail from the campground. Your teardrop gathering sounds fantastic!!! I'll usually see one or two teardrops when camping at SPs, but to see that many in one place must be amazing. Nice to have a large group of enthusiasts together to have a good time, check out the latest and greatest, and get ideas. I wish I was available this weekend to check it out, but I've got a family reunion up north by Michigan City to attend. Take lots of pics of your gathering and share!!! Would love to see some of the more unusual designs, etc. Have fun!!! Stay cool...gonna be HOT this weekend!!!
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-18-2017, 06:56 AM.

sigpic

Comment

A65hoosier- Willa looks like a sweet ball of energy. She will be a great camping partner. Sounds like she already a good neighbor. I got Daisy a child's sleeping bag and a cheap closed cell pad after spending way too much on a camping dog bed that the insulation separated the first time it was washed. She loves the foam pads and uses them everyday.

Both the sites you and bluestarr99 posted for dog coats look good. Daisy woul love either one. We think she is 12 - 15 years so I can't justify spending that much on a coat. I made the one Daisy is wearing in the picture. It is demin with insulbrite insulation. I am thinking of looking for a child's coat at goodwill to make her a heavier coat. Right now we layer.

Comment

Ha! She's rapidly becoming a great camping buddy (and right now the only one that actually likes it when I wake her up early in the morning for a brisk hike). Thank you for the dog coat experience/insight and the link. I've been surfing the web trying to get some ideas before I actually have to make a decision. I think a lot of this "pet" stuff is pricey. lol. Here is a link to k9apparel, a cottage maker who creates custom coats cut esp for your specific breed's body shape. Again...pricey stuff. It appears to be very nice...and very good quality. Made in USA. Good lordy...it's just like camping equipment...do you buy once and cry once...or go the other route and maybe cry over and over and over again. lol

https://k9apparel.com/collections/doberman-pinscher

McCormicks Creek SP is a nice park (the first in IN park system)---been many times. Since the park was established/laid out so long ago, the campsites are smaller "overall" than some of our newer park's campgrounds---but still a good campground with wooded/shaded sites. I'm maybe an hour and half to the north and east of the park (far northside of Indy in the subs).

Make sure to hike down to see the waterfall/streambed on trail 3 and visit Wolf Cave on trail 5 (easy trail) which can be accessed with a connector trail from the campground. Your teardrop gathering sounds fantastic!!! I'll usually see one or two teardrops when camping at SPs, but to see that many in one place must be amazing. Nice to have a large group of enthusiasts together to have a good time, check out the latest and greatest, and get ideas. I wish I was available this weekend to check it out, but I've got a family reunion up north by Michigan City to attend. Take lots of pics of your gathering and share!!! Would love to see some of the more unusual designs, etc. Have fun!!! Stay cool...gonna be HOT this weekend!!!
                Sorry you can't stop by, but family comes first. Good luck on the dog coat. We have tried many for 2 of our dogs over the years with little success until we found the Hurrta one. They are pricey, and after all we had been through was nervous about spending that much money. Had we just started there we would be bucks ahead. I'll check out your link, is sounds interesting.

Also thanks for the hiking tips. I was not aware there was a water fall there. Past trips have been mostly visiting with other campers. With over 100 sites it takes awhile.LOL Maybe we will meet around a fire someday.

Steve

Comment

You obviously didn't have much wind with that large of a tarp. Glad you could get out with your "peeps" and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BluegrassLady View Post
                    You obviously didn't have much wind with that large of a tarp. Glad you could get out with your "peeps" and have fun!
                    I don't think the Noah is overly large. This one's 16 x 16 (the diamond pitch makes it look larger). 2 ten foot adj poles, 6 guylines (2 on each pole corner, 1 on each "wing"). Now ohhhh...if I could find the 20 x 20 on sale...I'd buy it! That's a good sized car camping tarp! Especially if one has the space to pitch it.

We didn't have too much wind on this trip. Steady 10 mph...some gusts to 15-20. It's been up in stronger sustained and gusts in the past (I'll usually add guylines if I know the wind is/will be strong). The catenary cut helps keep a tight pitch and the design cuts the wind (the wings will actually drop down and into a strong wind rather than lift). A regular tarp will sometimes allow wind to get under the tarp and attempt to lift it.

Here is a pic of the same Noah earlier this March under a higher wind load (s 20-30+ mph). It was blowing hard enough that I skipped the campfire because I was worried about sparks blowing towards the tents (the fire ring is just off pic in the lower left). Notice that in addition to the one guyout on the wing corner, I have clipped on 2 extra guyouts just up the Noah on that same corner, plus one further up the side to have multiple stake/hold points. The remaining poles and wing I used my standard set-up/# guyouts. No flapping all night...and except for our pup dog peeing on the sleeping bag in my son's tent just after midnight..and the ensuing chaos..I slept great :arf::

Name:	SHL.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	70833

The "peeps" always love our annual camping trip to Prophetstown SP (we've gone every summer since it opened). Camping, hiking, bicycle trails, fishing, water park activities, lighted basketball courts, ice cream vending 24/7. Lots of family stuff to do. Large, clean, well-draining, level sites for tents. It's a fun time. Recommended if you're ever around Lafayette IN.

sigpic

Comment

...if I could find the 20 x 20 on sale...I'd buy it!
                      Dick's Sporting Goods has it for $120. Considering the 16s used to cost $100+, I'd call this a deal.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...nhstrp20ftxcat

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Dick's Sporting Goods has it for $120. Considering the 16s used to cost $100+, I'd call this a deal.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...nhstrp20ftxcat
                        This is one of those wish list items "if I can really nail a great super duper deal", I'll get it.

Amazon has the 20' currently for $95, which is about as low as I've seen that size go. They had the 16' on sale for $70 earlier this year. Here is link to the 20' with Prime: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012FCGPVS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I also belong to Massdrop...and they had the Noah's tarps offered to members earlier this year at pretty good prices...just below Amazon. But Massdrop makes you pay a slight "waiting" penalty before you receive your item as the manufacturers actually produce the quantity the members have ordered together and then ship it. You get a decent price on offered gear...but it isn't Amazon Prime where your stuff shows up in a day. If you're interested....here's a link to Massdrop. It doesn't cost anything to become a member and they have several different "communities" that offer "stuff". I have signed up to receive updates from the Ultralight, Outdoors, and Cooking "communities". They have other "communities" depending on your interests: https://www.massdrop.com/my-communities

I'll hold off on purchasing since I really don't need a 20' right now...esp as the season starts to move towards late summer/fall/winter and I move to the smaller 12' Noah as I won't need as much rain/sun protection.
                        But ooohhhh the price on Amazon for the 20' is tempting..... :diablo:

sigpic

Comment

just got camp from a couple camping trips
                          hershey park with my nieces
                          and scout camp with my son
                          some pics of the camp sites

Name:	IMG_8397.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	70834Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8398.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	70835Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8415.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	70836Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8431.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	70837Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8434.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	70838

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                            just got camp from a couple camping trips
                            hershey park with my nieces
                            and scout camp with my son
                            some pics of the camp sites
                            Nice pics terasec! Scout trips are a different kind of camping. lol. Fun stuff!!! What kind of tent were you in? Assuming it is the one with the blue chair out front?

sigpic

Comment

Nice pics terasec! Scout trips are a different kind of camping. lol. Fun stuff!!! What kind of tent were you in? Assuming it is the one with the blue chair out front?
                              yes i stayed in the tent with the blue chair
                              tent itself was great
                              heavy duty material no comparison to the canvas tents like kodiak
                              would love to get a hold of such a tent for my camp
                              and yes completely different type of camping
                              its all about the kids

Comment

Just back from Starve Hollow State Rec Area (Indiana). Quiet, small campground (140 sites) and lake. The entire area is only about 300 acres, however, it abuts the larger 18,000 acre Jackson-Washington State Forest in southern IN. Did a little bit of everything on this trip: hiking, canoeing, fishing, etc, tested out some new gear (gulp----a new mini k-cup brewer!!!)....and had a variety of weather...from hot/muggy to pouring rain to clear skies and cooler temps. The wind was fairly strong in the afternoon most everyday...which made cooking and then eating a challenge (hold onto your plate!!! - lol). Overall....great time. Probably the last full blown glamp trip for this year...we'll be transitioning to primitive sites as fall approaches. Happy Camping!!!

Name:	SH Campsite.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	70842 Click image for larger version

Name:	SH Campsite 2.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	70846 Click image for larger version

Name:	Willa at SH Campsite.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	70843 Click image for larger version

Name:	SH Lake 1.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	70844 Click image for larger version

Name:	SH Lake 2.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	70845

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X