Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Just got back from Prophetstown State Park near Lafayette, IN. We had a very nice site surrounded by spruce trees and perfect weather. Got the A+ from the family. First time using the Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 and the Huzuki mini LED lantern. I always seem to have a couple of new pieces of gear to try out each time we camp as we slowly upgrade and/or change up our supplies as we learn what we like/don't like.

2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I may have posted these in another thread, but they fit here I think.

Not new pics, but a couple of my favorite old camps.

On my land near Flagstaff. I lived in it for a couple years off and on. This day I had just walked/snowshoed 7 miles on snowed in roads on Dec 26th. Took a while to dig into it with a snowshoe.

This was in moose hunting camp. It was beautiful spot next to a lake, miles down dirt roads, and a mile in on a nasty rutted two track. Some of the water/mud holes were 2 feet deep. Was a spectacular camp though. The wood stove was great to have. I love my wall tent!

Last edited by Malamute; 07-26-2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Niceeeeeeeeeeeee use of the Noah's Tarp and now the man wants one. Insert head slapping emoticon here and nevah allow yer SO to observe yer internet doings:D. How tall do the poles go that you're using in that set-up?

Your Coleman generator looks older than the rest of the stove or do ya just keep the whole unit immaculately clean?
        All your sites are beauteous from a nature POV yet I'm particularly intrigued by the gravel site. Heard of 'em but don't recall seeing one before.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

markee........yer lil peeps look perfectly sugar sated surrounding that washer tub fire pit. And you are making me think a raft should be in my bucket list.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
            I may have posted these in another thread, but they fit here I think.

Not new pics, but a couple of my favorite old camps.

On my land near Flagstaff. I lived in it for a couple years off and on. This day I had just walked/snowshoed 7 miles on snowed in roads on Dec 26th. Took a while to dig into it with a snowshoe.

This was in moose hunting camp. It was beautiful spot next to a lake, miles down dirt roads, and a mile in on a nasty rutted two track. Some of the water/mud holes were 2 feet deep. Was a spectacular camp though. The wood stove was great to have. I love my wall tent!

Is that Flagstaff Arizona?
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Niceeeeeeeeeeeee use of the Noah's Tarp and now the man wants one. Insert head slapping emoticon here and nevah allow yer SO to observe yer internet doings:D. How tall do the poles go that you're using in that set-up?

Your Coleman generator looks older than the rest of the stove or do ya just keep the whole unit immaculately clean?
              All your sites are beauteous from a nature POV yet I'm particularly intrigued by the gravel site. Heard of 'em but don't recall seeing one before.
              This was the Noah's maiden trip and my first impression is LOVE IT! The wife even gave it a thumbs up after being skeptical. Lightweight, packs small, and versatile with grommets and tieouts on each corner and 3 more tieouts down each side. I set it up by myself in just a few minutes. Piece of cake. The poles are from Cabelas and adjust from 7' up to 9'. Sturdy and reliable, I havent bent one yet and they have been tested a few times with other tarps. However, the Noah would be easy to lower or take down quickly if severe weather approached and you didnt feel like strapping it down.

The stove/tank are an all original 413D dating back to 1950. I bought it about 5 years ago and it was in very good condition. Some elbow grease, soap, and polishing wax brought it back to the condition it's in now. I do however, clean my gear regularly and this gets a full wash and wax every year as we close out each camping season. It is one of my favorite camping pieces and we use it every trip. Large cook surface, reliable, and built like an armored car. Functional art.

I think the gravel pads are the only ones in the entire IN state park system. About 30x30 in size. They are hard packed so one has to use some heavy duty stakes (I use the 9 in nail type). The gravel, although small pea sized, can be sharp so we use tarps under the tents (we do this everywhere tho). It is a nice surface..flat and drains well during storms and creates no mud after a good rain. It's an ok surface...just different.
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                Is that Flagstaff Arizona?
                The top one is.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                  The top one is.
                  Do you mind if I ask where the land is? Not a specific location but in general. Actually what I am looking for is some information. I would love to buy some secluded land in the forest and I am wondering if you have any advice for the best way to go about it. I don't need utilities and the more remote the better.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

PM inbound

Comment

Versaille State Park in SE Indiana in 2012. This was a "ceremonial" (no rain predicted) last trip for the Eddie Bauer tent (orange fly on the left). :( Bought it in the mid-90s to "upgrade" the wife and I from a small 2 man tent. Even with the best of care, the materials (esp the fly) just deteriorated/dissolved away over time. No trust in rain means retirement. It saw my then young family through many nasty storms and holds seasons of memories for us.

The dining fly gets a "meh" from me for a variety of reasons. I haven't set it up again since this trip.

sigpic

Comment

Suwannee River trip...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2250042.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	69900

Old iron bridge...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	P2260067.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	69901

Comment

Originally posted by coloradowalt View Post
                          Suwannee River trip...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4626[/ATTACH]

Old iron bridge...
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4627[/ATTACH]
                          Hahahaha....for a second I thought that first one was snow. I am from Arizona so you will have to forgive me.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

A65hoosier. Great pictures. Gravel pads are the reason we didn't go to the Hoosier National Forest last year. They have gravel tent sites at Roush Reservoir but the camper sites are grass. Have you been to Shades State Park? It is probably my favorite. The sites are small and it is packed during the weekends but we love to go during the week in the fall. The hiking is great and it is connected to Pine Hills Nature Preserve.

Comment

Denni2 - Thanks. I haven't been to Roush. Been to all the state parks and a few of the rec areas, although it's been awhile on some. Guess they figure tents will wear out/kill the grass over time and replaced it with gravel? Cleaner? Less maintenance? Not sure.

I'm in Noblesville so we are able to get to Turkey Run and Shades often, even for day trips. Yes, between the two parks, Shades is my favorite. Offers similar, challenging hiking/scenery and is less crowded overall. We love hiking back/over to the Devil's Backbone and rockhopping in the 2 creeks in Pine Hills.

lol...weekends are packed at most of the state parks! My wife likes the "buzz" of a full campground...I like the "buzz" of night time nature. We try to go during the week if possible...lol. Shades sites are small and all (as far as I know currently) are still non-electric. We like it there (never have camped in the hike in portion). Typically quiet. The small sites discourage big RV's and the no-electric discourages many others....they end up at Turkey Run next door. lol....we might be there in the fall also, still hammering down a free week and deciding where (Clifty Falls is also in the running).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                                Markkee, that looks like a great spot. I have CA. on my bucket list. When I was a kid we camped there a few times and I loved it. Now I want to go back as an adult and do it again. But I think I will need 3 weeks to get it done. It's a big state and there are so many great spots.
                                It's a huge state. Some of the best places to visit are the least visited national parks Like Lassen and Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

Spring and fall are good times to visit as there are less people. However, I have been to Lassen in June, July, and August and have not encountered a lot of people.
                                Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X