Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

The love affair with REI continues. They recently had a 25% off sale on their already discounted outlet merchandise. Had a return credit that more than covered the cost of a new tent and two new tarp poles. Bought an ALPS Mountaineering tent that's twice the size of my usual REI Half Dome II and one-sixth the weight of the Kodiak canvas. Finally took out my lightweight nylon tarp for the first time and it all helped make for an easy trip.

Comment

Hey MacGyver - nice set up and nice score at REI! I also recently went and spent a bit of free cash at a different retailer (online) and picked up another tent (can never have too many tents-lol). It's a discontinued model so it was heavily discounted on clearance and I used a 20% off coupon to get it at almost 50% off retail. It has several unique design features and materials that I want to evaluate. The newer model uses lower denier fabrics and waterproof ratings to save a bit of weight. I'm not carrying it on my back, so I'll take the more durable fabrics that came on this older version. I'll post up pictures as it's going out with me in less than 2 weeks.

What model of Alps Mountaineering tent is that?

Also, are those Kelty adjustable poles? Do you like them as far as adjustability/strength/durability?

I was wondering if we would ever see your new tarp in action. I think you've had that for quite a while. I'm a big fan of hanging a tarp over my tent. The tarp is the first thing up and the last thing down.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
        Hey MacGyver...
        Yep - always nice to find "The Deal". This is the Meramac 4. It's the same design as my Eureka 3 person tent. It kinda nice not to have a full vestibule to get in and out of. If it does rain, I just adjust the tarp and I'm good to go. Even though it has fiberglass poles, I was surprised at how thick they are for a tent this size. All in all, not bad for a tent that cost around $60!

The tarp poles are REIs version of the MSR poles. They're not as adjustable as the kind that have a sliding ring adjustment (if you know what I mean). They break down into thirds with the last section having half a dozen click stops. But they're very well made, beefy enough that I won't hesitate to hang my large tarp over the Kodiak come Winter.

You have a good memory - I don't recall mentioning the nylon tarp on here before. I love it. My gear is finally getting to the point where I can get just about a whole trip into 3 Pelican cases.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          Yep - always nice to find "The Deal". This is the Meramac 4. It's the same design as my Eureka 3 person tent. It kinda nice not to have a full vestibule to get in and out of. If it does rain, I just adjust the tarp and I'm good to go. Even though it has fiberglass poles, I was surprised at how thick they are for a tent this size. All in all, not bad for a tent that cost around $60!
          I've been pretty impressed with the quality/value that Alps puts into their gear. My son's scout troop uses the Alps Taurus AL 4P for campouts. Similar size with a slightly different design with dual vestibules and 7000 series aluminum poles. Really nice tents and rugged enough to stand up to the abuse that teenage boys put them through. You got quite a deal for $60 on that Meramac!

The tarp poles are REIs version of the MSR poles. They're not as adjustable as the kind that have a sliding ring adjustment (if you know what I mean). They break down into thirds with the last section having half a dozen click stops. But they're very well made, beefy enough that I won't hesitate to hang my large tarp over the Kodiak come Winter.
          I thought those looked familiar as I've looked them over at REI. If I didn't already have Cabelas adjustable poles, I'd pick up a couple. You are right about them being beefy...they'd substitute easily as a club.

You have a good memory - I don't recall mentioning the nylon tarp on here before. I love it. My gear is finally getting to the point where I can get just about a whole trip into 3 Pelican cases.
          shhhhhh. Don't let my wife hear that...I've spent over 25 years using "I don't remember..." very effectively. lol It was in one of the "Tarps" threads I believe and I was out researching tarps at the time. I'm a gearhead....I'm always researching the latest and greatest new stuff and, at the time, I had never heard of the brand of tarp you bought.

Ain't it nice to be able to take everything you need to go camping and not have the truck look like Jed Clampett's?
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

shhhhhh. Don't let my wife hear that...I've spent over 25 years using "I don't remember..." very effectively. lol
            Your secret is safe with me!

Ain't it nice to be able to take everything you need to go camping and not have the truck look like Jed Clampett's?
            Most definitely. I know Winter trips usually have me unable to see out the back window because the club cab is loaded with extra blankets, more clothes, the heater and whatnot. When I left the house this past weekend, I was sure I'd left a bunch of stuff behind. Not only did I have an unobstructed view in the truck, I also had an open passenger seat and the bed wasn't crammed to the gills. For my next trick, I'm going to try to downsize even more so the October trip we just planned will leave the truck just as open.

Comment

A few from our most recent trip.

Last edited by Force10JC; 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Took a work trip to Bodie State Historic Park last week. Had the pleasure of being able to spend the night there in the clipper (with the dogs and the bird). Here's a photo from the up at the mine shafts looking down on Bodie (to the left) and my "campsite" to the right.
                Attached Files
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

And here is the few from my campsite:Click image for larger version

Name:	the camp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	70079
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Force10 - Nice campsite. Looks like you had no neighbors...private.

toedtoes - Nice pics. Love the sky in both shots.

sigpic

Comment

Force10 - Nice campsite. Looks like you had no neighbors...private.

toedtoes - Nice pics. Love the sky in both shots.
                      We went with 3 other families and had neighbors on 3 sides. We were lucky to find a site that was larger than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
                        We went with 3 other families and had neighbors on 3 sides. We were lucky to find a site that was larger than most.
                        Larger than most? lol...I think your site is larger than any campground site I've camped at. Where were you camping?

sigpic

Comment

Larger than most? lol...I think your site is larger than any campground site I've camped at. Where were you camping?
                          This was in Huntsville State Park in hot, humid Southeast Texas. All of the parks we've camped at this year were pretty large sites except for Martin Creek Lake State Park which, ironically may have been my favorite trip.

Also, the photos above were facing northeast and north west. To the North of us there were no campsites. To the East, West, and South which you don't see in the photos, there were occupied sites.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/huntsville

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/martin-creek-lake
                          Last edited by Force10JC; 08-14-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

These photo faces East and the 2nd one faces South and should give you a bit better idea of the size of our site.

Comment

How do you like that Camp Chef Dual burner w/Camp Oven? It looks great. I've been wondering how well they really work.

Comment

My wife and I just returned from our second camping trip of the year (third for me), this time we traveled to Seawall in Acadia National Park. Beautiful park. Here's some photo's of our campsite. Since the campground doesn't include showers, we brought our own!

Also included is a view taken from the picnic area located across the road from the campground taken on a foggy, misty morning.
                                Attached Files
                                Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X