Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
    Took a work trip to Bodie State Historic Park last week. Had the pleasure of being able to spend the night there in the clipper (with the dogs and the bird). Here's a photo from the up at the mine shafts looking down on Bodie (to the left) and my "campsite" to the right.
    How about a little more info on Bodie? I really want to go check it out....Good camping spots...any fishing?
    Thanks
    jack
    Last edited by action; 08-26-2015, 06:16 PM.
    Thrift store tent
    Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

There actually isn't any camping at Bodie. I work for the department, so was able to stay on site during my work - it was one of those "once in a lifetime" perks.

However, much of the area surrounding Bodie and Mono Lake is BLM and/or National Forest land. You can "boondock" along Hwy 395 and off many roads in the area. In the summer, they have several days that they do a "ghost walk and star stories" - they stay open after dark on those days (normally they close at 6 p.m.). You can find details about Bodie here: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

You can check out the Mono County Visitor Guide at http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...6-8bdfca65de58. It will give you ideas of road conditions, etc. As a general guideline, the road to Bodie (Hwy 270) is paved and a pretty easy drive for the first 10 miles - the last 3 miles is dirt and can be washboard all the way at times (we got lucky, they had just graded the road before we drove up). It also tells you about all the other sights in the area.

Bodie is really an amazing place and worth the visit. The area surrounding it has a lot to offer also. Bodie itself is very high up (8375 ft elevation) so the weather can change quickly. They are expecting a good 20 inches of snow this winter due to El Nino - they usually close when the snow falls. Last winter, they did not close at all. Mono Lake is at around 6300 ft. After I finished working, I stayed at Oh Ridge campground on June Lake. Very pretty little lake. The campground was tight fitting (not much space at all between sites), but it's National Forest and they were really nice (even give the dogs a treat at check in).

Hopefully that helps some. If you have any specific questions, just holler and I'll try to answer.

Oh: fishing. June Lake has fishing but I don't know how good. Mono Lake is saltier than the ocean and doesn't have any fish in it. There is a river/creek that runs along Hwy 395 and likely has fish. There are also several other lakes in the area that should have fishing. Check the visitor guide above for details.
      Last edited by toedtoes; 08-26-2015, 07:21 PM.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thanks,
        Been in the area some just not to Bodie.
        Jack
        Thrift store tent
        Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

From our trip last weekend at Meacham Lake in the Adirondacks (picture was taken with a camera/shutter timer and tripod):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	70251

And a photo of the lake with a loon in the foreground. It was a real treat seeing and hearing the loons for the first time

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3318.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	70252

Edited to add: It's weird that one picture was resized much smaller than the other when they both were uploaded at the same size.
          Last edited by Paul; 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Hey Paul,
            Nice campsite, love to camp next to water. I have seen built up pads to set a tent up on before but I have never seen a raised wood deck for a tent. That could make getting up thru the night interesting. Loons are wonderful, we also enjoy having them around on our trips up north.

Comment

Originally posted by Coydog View Post
              I have seen built up pads to set a tent up on before but I have never seen a raised wood deck for a tent. That could make getting up thru the night interesting.
              Hello Coydog, the raised wood deck was there because the area behind where we were sitting was a bit soft and I'm sure it stays that way throughout the summer months. I probably wouldn't have reserved the campsite if I had known ahead of time how soft the ground was.

It was my first time sleeping in a tent on anything like that and it wasn't too bad with an air mattress under us.

Comment

This was from our last trip. We stayed at gualala river redwood park. It's one of my favorite campgrounds within 2 hours of the house.
                Attached Files

Comment

Pictures from our annual fall camping trip. This year our destination was Horsetooth Reservoir by Fort Collins, Colorado. We stayed in Newton, Iowa on the way there.
                  This was the first time we had to use the Mountainsmith Conifer 5+ for more than a night and we were really happy with the tent. It was really windy at Horsetooth Reservoir and the tent did well.

Here is our site at Newton. We use the small tent for quick overnights.

Comment

Finally figured out how to get a decent night shot while taking advantage of the unusually warm weather we're having. Middle of December and the temperature never got below 50°, even at night.

Comment

Great picture, MacGyver! Your campsite looks very inviting.

Comment

Here's a tent pic from a couple of summers ago... Its snowing, blowing, cold and nasty here right now so I'm trying to think warm thoughts...
                        Enjoy!
                        Attached Files
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Here are some photos of our Camping at Daisy State Park in Arkansas. Rained 4 out of 5 days, but we weren't disappointed and will return soon.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzmoe View Post
                            Here are some photos of our Camping at Daisy State Park in Arkansas. Rained 4 out of 5 days, but we weren't disappointed and will return soon.
                            Love camping next to a lake or river - Ain't no fresher fish in the world!

Comment

I don't recall if I posted this before. I didn't see it when I looked. One of the nice places that's relatively easy to get to.

Comment

It's pictures like that that really make me want to move away from the Mid-Atlantic. The Appalachians look great 'til you compare 'em to other mountain chains like the Adirondacks and the Rockies.

Comment

Working...
                                X