Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

MacGyver - Great to hear you had a good camp (decent weather/fellow campers always helps). Nice pic of your campsite. That tarp is big...it makes your Kodiak look like a pup tent back there. Are those 2x4 as your ridge support posts? It looks like you have'em flexing a bit.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

ok i'll jump in
      last weekend had cub scouts camp out
      rained all weekend yet everyone still had smiles through out
      15-20 tents in the group,
      about 50 people in total
      completely different experience than the solo camping i am used to
      heck of alot of planning and organizing for such an outing,

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
        MacGyver - Great to hear you had a good camp (decent weather/fellow campers always helps). Nice pic of your campsite. That tarp is big...it makes your Kodiak look like a pup tent back there. Are those 2x4 as your ridge support posts? It looks like you have'em flexing a bit.
        Yeah - it was a great trip. If you think the 10x10 Kodiak looked small, you'd really have laughed if more people had been going. I was planning on rain and getting everyone under the tarp. If more people had committed to going, I was going to take my 6x8 Kodiak

The 2x4s were warped to begin with. I needed something quick and easy and ten feet tall and all the Home Depot had was still wet lumber. The more permanent solution will be some sort of pipe - fence posts or galvanized schedule 40 - that I can break down into five foot sections.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
          ok i'll jump in
          about 50 people in total
          heck of alot of planning and organizing for such an outing
          I love campsites that look like tent villages. And isn't it amazing how a large group of people can turn bad weather into a good time?

Comment

ok i'll jump in
            about 50 people in total
            heck of alot of planning and organizing for such an outing,
            lol...yep...done my share of rainy scout outings. Always seem to have had a good time. Being around folks or a group..esp younger ones or those that keep a good spirit, can make a trip fun no matter what the weather throws your way (I'd argue that some of the worst weather conditions makes for some of the most memorable trips and future campfire tales...). That same nasty weather....might make for a miserable solo trip. Misery loves some company.
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

lol...yep...done my share of rainy scout outings. Always seem to have had a good time. Being around folks or a group..esp younger ones or those that keep a good spirit, can make a trip fun no matter what the weather throws your way (I'd argue that some of the worst weather conditions makes for some of the most memorable trips and future campfire tales...). That same nasty weather....might make for a miserable solo trip. Misery loves some company.
              Always say you rarely remember those perfect trips where nothing goes wrong
              yet those miserable trips where everything went wrong is the trip you will laugh about 10-20 years later

Comment

Always say you rarely remember those perfect trips where nothing goes wrong
                yet those miserable trips where everything went wrong is the trip you will laugh about 10-20 years later
                Over 40 years later, I still remember a camp trip where my brother got into a hornets nest in the woods. He got stung good (me-no, I was back aways), his shoe came off...and we went running. After first aid at the campsite, my folks asked about my brothers shoe...and told me to go back and get it (I think they assumed it wasn't near the disturbed nest). Man, no sooner than I picked up that shoe, those hornets were on me and I got stung 3 or 4 times (lol. after missing out on the first stinging incident and laughing and having a good ole time at my brothers expense).

Yep, the "stuff that went wrong" trips definitely stick in the memory box longer.
                Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-24-2017, 05:18 PM.

sigpic

Comment

This one was taken last year when we snuck out to the lake and ended up in one of the last spots right next to a "scenic overlook" and its small parking area.

Best wishes,
                  The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

The full moon rises above the Indiana prairie and my camp site at Prophetstown State Park this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moon Rise.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	70824

sigpic

Comment

The full moon rises above the Indiana prairie and my camp site at Prophetstown State Park this weekend.
                      Man... I was never a fan of sites with pads for the tents - until I saw the acreage on that site. There aren't any campgrounds around here that I know of that have pads that large. 12 x12 is about as big as I've ever seen. That looks like room for at least four, without worrying about slope, roots and rocks. Nice!

Comment

Our group camping site at Sebago Lake State Park in Maine. The group camping areas are located in the day use area, not in the regular campground, so the sites were much more secluded and private. Our site in the Rocky Knoll area was HUGE, we had 5 tents up at one point and still plenty of room for tables and kids play area.

Name:	19554088_10104160698368969_6876022947877185230_n.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	70825

There was also a private group campers only beach only steps away from the site. It was nice to not have to go to the crowded public day use area to swim and play in the sand.

Name:	IMG_6080.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	70826Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6081.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	70827Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6082.JPG
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	70828

Awesome site and trip!
                        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          Man... I was never a fan of sites with pads for the tents - until I saw the acreage on that site. There aren't any campgrounds around here that I know of that have pads that large. 12 x12 is about as big as I've ever seen. That looks like room for at least four, without worrying about slope, roots and rocks. Nice!
                          Prophetstown SP is the only state park in Indiana (that I am aware of) where every site is leveled and graveled (with excellent drainage). It is Indiana's newest state park and I've camped here once every summer since they opened it 5 years ago or so. It has a nice water park with a lazy river, slides, etc. It's a little less than an hour away from my house and my kids bring a friend or two and we spend the day at the waterpark. It's a fun summer trip.

lol....I thought the same thing about the site having room for another tent after I got everything pitched. Certainly another 4p...perhaps a 6p. As it was, I had a 6p, 4p, and 3p tent set up----for 5 adults and a big dog. Note: I believe the "rules" say only 2 tents allowed - but the rangers didn't say anything.

This site was 30 x 35. Most of them average this size. And yes....the graveled/leveled site makes for a fast pitch as I know, before I even check-in, exactly where I'm going to set up the tarp, tents, etc. No surprise roots or weird slopes.

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                          Our group camping site at Sebago Lake State Park in Maine. The group camping areas are located in the day use area, not in the regular campground, so the sites were much more secluded and private. Our site in the Rocky Knoll area was HUGE, we had 5 tents up at one point and still plenty of room for tables and kids play area.

There was also a private group campers only beach only steps away from the site. It was nice to not have to go to the crowded public day use area to swim and play in the sand.

Awesome site and trip!
                          It looks fantastic!!! Right from the camp area down to that beach and the view! Very nice!

sigpic

Comment

Name:	P1010799.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	70829Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011098.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	70830
                            I spent 2 weeks in Utah in June. We had a group with 5 teardrop trailers that went out Jeeping. Took in Moab and 4 National Parks along with several State Parks. While there was nothing special about the campsites, the views from most were really beautiful. One is near Capitol Reef NP and the other with the buttes is Monument Valley. Utah is one stunning place!

Comment

Great pictures! Enjoying those views would make up for not so special camp sites. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Just returned from a weekend at Chain O Lakes State Park. We had great weather, warm days and cool nights. Many of the sites were reserved but there were several no shows, probably because we had rain most of the week. Some of the sites had water standing. Our site was wet and had muddy spots, but no standing water. The primative campground was quite and very peaceful. This was a good weekend relaxing and reading.

This is trip was to try our new tent. I found a good price on a Marmot Limestone 4p. I really like this tent. It had plenty of room for our sleeping pads, Daisy's kennel, and our clothes. It is easy to set up and tear down which is a plus for me.

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	70831

Comment

Working...
                                X