Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by actad View Post
    Most of the trees have an X, must mean something to the campground. I am in eastern Kentucky just off the Country Music Highway. The creek runs through the campgrounds and there is the ruins of an old mill on the site.

The cooler was salvaged last summer from my parents attic. It is a Tam O'Shanter. I like bringing a bit of camping tradition with me.
    Good to hear on the tree. Around here, an X on a tree means down it goes. Sometimes I understand why, sometimes you kinda scratch your head and wonder. Your campsite looks (and prob sounds w/the creek) relaxing.

That cooler is a nice piece of personal nostalgia camping gear. I think it is absolutely fantastic that you bring a bit of camping tradition with you! Of course, this is from a camper that brings along one or two pieces of vintage stuff almost every car camp trip....just because. One trip it might be mom's cast iron skillet, or grandma-in-law's aluminum pots with the black paint worn off the wood handles, or maybe grandpa's Coleman lantern (1937). lol...it's also getting to the point where some of the gear I bought long ago is getting close to qualifying as "vintage"
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-28-2015, 08:11 PM.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Well... Seems our Memorial Day weekend trip was marred by some serious drama. The short version of the long story is to never go camping when a friend says he's bringing his alcoholic wife. But that didn't stop me from looking outside the site.

Comment

Nice shot...the serenity belies what sounds like quite an experience!
        Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Originally posted by caheaton View Post
          Nice shot...the serenity belies what sounds like quite an experience!
          Thanks. It probably doesn't show too much online here, but I've become pretty damn cynical over the years. It's people like that who have made me wary of going just about anywhere, at least around here. But during a camping trip? Good weather and good food around a campfire aren't supposed to erupt into any kind of drama. In the 25 years I've been camping with these guys, we'd never seen anything like it. Needless to say, she won't be back - and I figure our friend isn't going to be looked at the same for quite a while. Just a damn shame all around... Definitely looking forward to the next trip!
          Last edited by MacGyver; 05-29-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

MacGyver - You're not off to a great start this year with the mud and now the drama. Bummer. :( I guess the trips are memorable. Better luck and relaxation on your next one!
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Mud trip? Still fun, even for an overnighter.
              Dramafest 2015? Drank my SoCo and Red Bull, played Uno, KanJam and Cornhole. Ate well and never had to cook anything myself. :D
              Bottom line? Nothing will put me off camping!

Comment

Here's hoping that your next trip has the beauteous nature scenes and humans!
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Been getting out one weekend a month since October mostly In the white mountains. Here are a few photos of my hammock setup I made everything from tarp to down quilts -20 degrees is my lowest night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-21 13.57.22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	70017Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-21 13.57.12.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	70018Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-22 07.23.27.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	70019Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-16 18.51.30.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	70020

Comment

That's a nice setup! I've been researching hammock camping for a few months and the wealth of information is just insane.
                    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                    Nights under the stars:
                    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by gr8brew View Post
                      Been getting out one weekend a month since October mostly In the white mountains. Here are a few photos of my hammock setup I made everything from tarp to down quilts -20 degrees is my lowest night.
                      I give you a lot of credit for handling that in a hammock. I keep looking at hammock setups and I finally bought an Eno just to have at the site. But I can't imagine sleeping in one at 20 below. It got down to high 30s at night on this last trip and I definitely saw how being up in the air saps heat from the body.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        I give you a lot of credit for handling that in a hammock. I keep looking at hammock setups and I finally bought an Eno just to have at the site. But I can't imagine sleeping in one at 20 below. It got down to high 30s at night on this last trip and I definitely saw how being up in the air saps heat from the body.
                        Its all about the insulation under the hammock. I made a down under quilt that hangs under the hammock the the benefit is that you maintain all of the loft of the down. As soon as you climb in you can feel the hear build.

Comment

Its all about the insulation under the hammock. I made a down under quilt that hangs under the hammock the the benefit is that you maintain all of the loft of the down. As soon as you climb in you can feel the hear build.
                          Oh yeah - I know about underquilts. Just like sunnymw, I've been looking at hammocks for quite a while. Unfortunately, I'm a very cold sleeper and need a ton of insulation all around. The kicker is, I don't like being wrapped up heavy layers or something like a mummy bag. That's why I deal with the weight and bulk of my winter setup - a canvas cabin tent with a heater. But, since I seem to be on a downsizing crusade, I can definitely see me going for a hammock in warm weather. If I can get my group together again soon, I'm going to try out the Eno instead of the two man tent I've been using.
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 05-31-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Just returned from 4 nights of camping in Calhoun County Park. Purpose of the trip was stargazing (hence the odd camp location :-) ). They do have a campground that offers water and electric, but stargazers are allowed to camp anywhere within the park. I chose the most popular spot for amateur astronomers....adjacent to Picnic Shelter #4. Shelter offers water, electric, shade and a place to put stuff that's out of the weather. Only negative was the weather (didn't cooperate so I only had a few hours of good observing spread over a couple of nights) and an abundance of tiny bees and some wasps...they ended up taking over the inside of my screen house! (though thankfully they didn't harass me if I entered...still a bit unnerving though...so I only used the screen house as a wind break for the little alcohol stove I brought). The barn visible to the right of one photo offers a shower and bathroom facilities. Park even offers a couple of fishing ponds, an historical village and a 3 mile hiking trail. More challenging hiking can be had at Cedar Creek State Park located about a half hour away.
                            Attached Files
                            Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Taken from one of my places,

Comment

How did you design your quilt, and what fill did you use? What does it weigh? What is the weight of your sleeping system?

I love MYOG threads.
                                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                                X