Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Man would I like to drop a popper near those lily pads!
    Nice pics from what was obviously a really nice trip.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Man would I like to drop a popper near those lily pads!
      Nice pics from what was obviously a really nice trip.
      Ha! That's what I thought also because it just seemed like a good largemouth hangout. We tossed just about everything into and around those pads---a Hula Popper, a Jitterbug, Weedless GrassFrogs, Floating Rapalas, Spinners and Spinnerbaits, etc etc etc. Zero bites. Even my son, the "fisherman", got a zero hung on him. We tried this line of pads both early dawn and late dusk over a period of a few days. Nothing.

On the positive side....the others out there fishing were having about the same luck. Still....a day of fishing is always better than a day of work.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier, I showed my husband your pictures of Starve Hollow State Rec Area and now we are going to be spending a week there in September, lol. We usually try to find somewhere really primitive, but the husband has been wanting to camp by the water so we thought we would check it out.

Your pictures look really nice and Willa looks relaxed.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
          a65hoosier, I showed my husband your pictures of Starve Hollow State Rec Area and now we are going to be spending a week there in September, lol. We usually try to find somewhere really primitive, but the husband has been wanting to camp by the water so we thought we would check it out.

Your pictures look really nice and Willa looks relaxed.
          Denni2 - Thanks! We were at site #12. The ones on either side of us would be pretty good for tents also. I usually take a peek at site photos via the ReserveAmerica website prior to booking. A picture doesn't guarantee a perfect site, but it's better than nothing.

It was a very relaxing trip and my pup is starting to get the hang of what "camping" entails. lol. Campground was quiet altho it was prob 90% full. When we were there, the "Midwest Treasure Hunters" club was also there for the week for their summer rally (they camped on the other side of the campground). It was interesting seeing 30+ folks each day wandering around a big field waving their metal detectors.

I'll be up in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks primitive camping---Chain O Lakes SP.
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Great pics a65.....Camping spot right on the shore of the lake is just beautiful.....Thanks 4 sharing !!
            2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

For photos of individual campsites, check out campsitephotos.com

They don't have every campground, but those they do are complete. I use that and flashearth to check out spots.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

They don't have every campground, but those they do are complete. I use that and flashearth to check out spots.
                I tried campsitephotos. No Indiana campgrounds listed at all (boooooo) but it is another resource depending on where you are going. Bookmarked. Good information depending on the location.

I do use Google Earth...I'll have to try flashearth.

Thanks!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

What is flashearth?
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Flashearth is like google earth - it's just not google.:gasp:
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I spent last weekend in the northern part of my state at Chain O Lakes State Park. This is a popular park with many glacial formed lakes connected by channels. Great for canoeing and kayaking, fishing, etc. Over 23 miles of trails (most are fairly easy/moderate). It was nice to see the number of sites (electric, non, and primitive) that had tents. Many more than I normally see and it was fun walking around and checking out the various models and set-ups.

This was my first "solo" trip with my dog. We car camped in the primitive section #411. This park holds special memories as it was one of the first parks my wife and I camped at while dating long long ago (she couldn't make this trip). I try to take an annual trip to this park and have in the last few years enjoyed camping in the primitive section. Primitive was maybe 30% full...and very quiet (the electric and non was maybe 50% full). It poured early early Sat morning---buckets, but the site drained well. Noah tarp went up without a hitch, the hardest part is always placement. I decided to put the tent fully under the tarp this trip since I didn't need much protected "sittin" space. I stayed dry thru out the trip. Rest of the trip, the weather was fantastic. Temps upper 70's/low 80's and at night upper 50's/low 60's. No problems with Willa---although as a puppy, it's like chasing and dealing with a kid. Fabulous fun moments followed by "leave it", "knock it off", "stop", etc. etc. lolololol. We hiked 8+ miles of trails, wandered the campground idk how many times, socialized with some other campers, kids, and other dogs thru out the weekend. I'm rapidly learning that a dog attracts attention. lol. We both also ate well. Ya can't eat a steak without sharing some with your buddy. I will have to improve my campfire stories...they did appear to bore her. Or maybe it was the warmth of the campfire?

Sorry no scenic vistas, but the pic is typical of the terrain here (it IS Indiana after all)...and keeping Willa on the leash while hiking somewhat limited photo ops.

Happy camping all....keep getting out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain O Lakes 411 a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	70854Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain O Lakes 411.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	70855Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain O Lakes Hike.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	70856Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain O Lakes Willa a.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	70852Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain O Lakes Willa.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	70853
                      Last edited by a65hoosier; 08-21-2017, 06:23 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Glad to see you had a pleasant trip to Chain O Lakes SP. I'm surprised there weren't a lot of campers in primitive, usually more until after Labor Day.

It sounds like except for the rain you had a pretty good trip. The trails up there are some of our favorites we try to go up for the day since it's only about an hour away.
                        Warm days and cool nights for sleeping is my favorite. Willa seems to be enjoying the relaxing fire. I can only imagine a hike doesn't wear her out for long.

We found waist leash is actually easier when hiking. I used some paracord to wrap a small section of our 6 foot leash in a cobra knot (I think that is what it's called) and a 75lb Niteize S-Biner on the loop end. I just wrap it around my waist on the trail and it is just enough leash to keep her on the trail and out of the poison ivy. We have a regular Outward Hound one for in town walks but I really like the 6' leash with the S-Biner best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000U...AOutward+Hound

https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/r...our-dog-pulls/
                        Attached Files

Comment

Denni2 - I was surprised at the # of open sites. You can't tell if they were open, or reserved-but no shows.

The rain wasn't bad timing as it was early am, but it was a soaker. Having the Noah overhead meant dry space/stuff underneath. The trails, however, were pretty wet Sat am. lol The weather/temps were fantastic-but more early fall-like than middle of August here in IN (as you know).

Willa does generally good on a 6 foot leash as we've trained her using it since we got her at 8wks old. She stays surprisingly close to me....but we're not 100%. Always working/practicing. It appears that at this age....I'm finding out she can go hiking/walking a long time/distance. lololol.

I will take a look at rigging something up like you have for waist. It would free up my hand(s). It would also make taking pics a bit easier. Thanks for passing that along. Take care.

sigpic

Comment

...A couple for this last (labor day) weekend...

Name:	Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	70858Click image for larger version

Name:	Tent inside LD 2017 50.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	70859

Enjoy!
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                              Denni2 - I was surprised at the # of open sites. You can't tell if they were open, or reserved-but no shows.

The rain wasn't bad timing as it was early am, but it was a soaker. Having the Noah overhead meant dry space/stuff underneath. The trails, however, were pretty wet Sat am. lol The weather/temps were fantastic-but more early fall-like than middle of August here in IN (as you know).

Willa does generally good on a 6 foot leash as we've trained her using it since we got her at 8wks old. She stays surprisingly close to me....but we're not 100%. Always working/practicing. It appears that at this age....I'm finding out she can go hiking/walking a long time/distance. lololol.

I will take a look at rigging something up like you have for waist. It would free up my hand(s). It would also make taking pics a bit easier. Thanks for passing that along. Take care.
                              The waist band is OK. It really doesn't work well with 2 dogs (unless you like being ripped apart at the middle). I also worry about if the dog takes off after a rabbit, etc. I have always been taught not to wrap leashes, etc., around your wrist and such because you may need to let go in an emergency. With a waste band, you can't easily let go. For me, I find connecting the dogs together is much more effective. Moose-dog will most always come back to me, so Bat-dog, who is a bit more stubborn, has to come along for the ride. It's actually a great training tool. I've also learned that for Bat-dog, a whistle is a much more effective call back than calling her name.

For that "we walk for hours and she's still not worn out" issue, I started using a doggie backpack. I started it with Dog (shepherd/lab) and Bear-dog (akita) because her energy was much higher than his and he'd get exhausted trying to keep up with her. With her wearing the backpack, she slowed down to more his pace. For Dog, I used a fairly big sized backpack and filled it with a couple water bottles, snacks, beach towel, sweatjacket, etc.

For Moose-dog and Bat-dog, I got smaller packs that are big enough to hold snacks in Bat-dog's bags and a couple water bottles in Moose-dog's bags. Plus their poop bags, wet wipes, etc.

The basic rules are:
                              Don't start using one until the dog is fully grown (about 2 years) so you don't risk damage to their bone development.
                              Don't put expensive or delicate stuff in the packs - the dogs will still go through tight spots without consideration.
                              Put snacks, etc., in sealed plastic baggies - tootsie rolls don't taste good after going for a swim in the lake.

Some dogs take better to it than others. Dog never even thought twice about carrying stuff. Her brother Bear-dog thought he was going to die (he was rather sensitive). I put it on my sibling's dog and she just stopped and stared until I removed it. Moose-dog and Bat-dog don't mind it at all. This is them chasing lizards with their packs on.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by toedtoes; 09-04-2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

We just returned from a relaxing 5 days at Starve Hollow SRA. Thanks to a65hoosier for posting about the location. We arrived on Sunday evening when most campers we pulling out. This is a nice campground, we got a site on the lake.

The weather was good most of the week except for heavy rain on Tuesday morning. It was a good test for the new Marmot tent and I am happy to report everything thing stayed dry. Daisy wanted no part of the rain and would not leave the tent until it stopped. My husband and I stayed under the canopy and enjoyed the rain. The soil drained quickly and by the afternoon most of the campsite was dry.

My husband did some hiking and really enjoyed the trails, I stayed in camp with Daisy, she is too old for hiking. We did take several walks around the campground.

The lake was beautiful, we spent several hours watching fish jump and turtles. The people next to was catching large fish off the shore, they said they were Burbot and are supposed to be good to eat.

Name:	59E18919-80FA-4B56-A411-782EDCA753DE.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	70868

Name:	1E4DC761-460B-461D-A797-29C05EDC1578.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	70867

Comment

Working...