Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Denni2 - That is fantastic. It's fun finding/exploring little gems in your home state. The Marmot Limestone is a great tent, esp so when it rains.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Hey fellow campers...I was back "out there" camping this past weekend. This time to Summit Lake State Park, New Castle IN. With me was my wife and our dog.

Activities at the 2,700 acre park (including an 800 acre lake) are really centered around fishing. There are numerous areas to shore fish, pier fish, etc. if you do not have a boat (boat rentals available in season). Hiking trails total only about 5 miles. This was our first camping trip here (we've been hiking and fishing before). No fishing this trip...this was all about hanging at the campsite eating/drinking and enjoying the fire. We hiked when Willa needed some walk time.

121 campsites are organized into 2 separated sections/areas. Many of the campsites have lake views and/or shoreline access for fishing. One of the 2 campsite sections/areas was closed off for this off-season to allow maintenance staff to fell approximately 30 large ash trees which had been killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. For safety sake, they had to be taken down (what a bummer seeing these giants laying around). Although closed off for camping, there was no restriction against wandering around the area and doing some exploring with the dog (I took Willa off leash and let her run like a maniac through the closed campground section-such fun!). We hiked all of the trails.

There were 9 of the sites occupied. We were the only ones in a tent.

Temps did not get out the 40's during the day...nighttime lows dipped into the upper 20's one night, lower 30's the next night. Very little wind which helped. Managed to lounge about Sunday morning and got packed up just before the steady rain began. Plenty warm at night...we had 10 and 20 degree rated down quilts and the dog was using a 28 degree mummy bag. Sleep pads rated at R 6.8. Proper clothing (hats, tops/bottoms/socks). The quilts worked better than we expected...no drafts, etc. We used the straps to attach the quilts to our pads to keep them from slipping off. It was nice being able to move/toss/turn at night without getting twisted up in a mummy bag.

Some pics:

Campsite, lakeview from campsite, 2 pics in the closed camp section, and a campsite pic at night.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Summit Lake Campsite Day.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	70971Click image for larger version

Name:	Summit Lake Campsite Lakeview.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	70972Click image for larger version

Name:	Summit Lake Camp Closed Section 1.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	70973Click image for larger version

Name:	Summit Lake Camp Closed Section 2.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	70974Click image for larger version

Name:	23550999_10209537759390786_8431967996778591105_o.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	70975
      Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-13-2017, 06:32 PM.
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
        Hey fellow campers...I was back "out there" camping this past weekend.
        Okay... I officially hate you. You get "out there" WAY more than I can.

We have the Ash Borer problem here as well. It's so bad that the rangers aren't supposed to let you bring in firewood from anywhere outside the park or from approved vendors. Fortunately for me, as an exterminator, I have a workaround that really shouldn't work, but it does (at least it did once). I show them my company ID along with a bottle of the chemical used to treat wood for the borers and they let it slide.

Umm... taking back the hate, it's good to see a trip go as planned. I'm big on quilts and blankets myself. I don't like the constriction of mummy bags either and my rectangular bag is so bulky, I actually leave it home now. I do better with layers of Pendleton wool blankets, a cheap Walmart quilt and a huge double thick quilt I crocheted. Of course that's all backup for when my heater goes on the blink, but it has happened at freezing temps and I was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          Okay... I officially hate you. You get "out there" WAY more than I can.

We have the Ash Borer problem here as well. It's so bad that the rangers aren't supposed to let you bring in firewood from anywhere outside the park or from approved vendors. Fortunately for me, as an exterminator, I have a workaround that really shouldn't work, but it does (at least it did once). I show them my company ID along with a bottle of the chemical used to treat wood for the borers and they let it slide.

Umm... taking back the hate, it's good to see a trip go as planned. I'm big on quilts and blankets myself. I don't like the constriction of mummy bags either and my rectangular bag is so bulky, I actually leave it home now. I do better with layers of Pendleton wool blankets, a cheap Walmart quilt and a huge double thick quilt I crocheted. Of course that's all backup for when my heater goes on the blink, but it has happened at freezing temps and I was fine.
          Ha! I try to get out on average once a month/6 wks or so. I'm only doing quick 2 night trips for the most part during the year (it fits into my job schedule and everything else that goes on personally/family/etc). It's also a big reason I started downsizing what I brought camping several years ago. It sucked to pack down an entire SUV and then only get to use it for a couple of nights. So most of my gear and packing is organized for these quick trips. Fast pack up, fast set-up/take down at camp, and quickly back onto the gear shelf for the next time.

You would know about the Emerald Ash Borer. It truly has been a plague upon ash trees throughout Indiana and other states (not sure what the range is...but it seems to keep expanding). Now...the true cost is beginning to be felt in $$$ spent taking down those dead trees and the actual lost value that tree may have brought for shade/landscaping/etc (homes, city parks, etc).

In IN, you either have to purchase wood at the park or if purchased from outside, it must show a compliance label (but I've never had a ranger verify a compliance label). Oddly, they still allow you to bring wood from home, but the bark must be removed. I brought from home about 12-15 half split logs where the bark had fallen off and just laid them down first in the SUV before packing it up (I have really aged/older cut firewood in my stacks at home). The rest I bought at the park.

Summit Lake began selling (cheap) the cut/downed logs/wood from the closed camping area the day after we left (I had read earlier in the month that they would be cutting trees and selling it off to locals-so all of the cut/downed trees wasn't surprising...just disappointing). Unfortunately, it was too far a walk for us to grab large arm sized branches in that camp section and drag them back to the campsite for our fire (I brought a saw just in case I could). One does go through the firewood when the temps dip.

re: quilts/blankets. Yea, I don't think I could ever crawl into the mummy bag after this trip's positive experience with a quilt. I had been reduced to opening up my mummy bag and using it sort-of like a quilt/blanket to escape the restrictiveness. We too have the big rectangle bags that no longer get much use-gotta be 15+ years old. Sleeping/bedding gear was one of my first areas where I tried to reduce gear size and weight of what I was packing on trips. If you really look at your pile of gear....bedding can take up huge amounts of storage space in your vehicle compared to other items. Now...with smaller sleeping pads and easier to compress quilts, all of my bedding fits into half the space of what a single rectangular sleeping bag used to take up all by itself.

sigpic

Comment

...UH (shudder) mummy bags...
            ...Last time I used mine, I managed to role over in it; only to wake up thinking that I was suffocating... (never again) ...
            Its now a spare bag for out of state visitors.

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              ...UH (shudder) mummy bags...
              ...Last time I used mine, I managed to role over in it; only to wake up thinking that I was suffocating... (never again) ...
              Its now a spare bag for out of state visitors.

Enjoy!
              can understand claustrophobic aspect of mummy bags
              for myself when its 0 degrees out and i am zipped up with only my mouth and nose showing, i am grateful for the heat retention of mummy bags over rectangle bags
              rectangle bag is my summer bag,

Comment

Had a blast in Borrego this past December!

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	70986

Comment

Hey fellow Campers! I'm still getting out there so it's time for a trip report and some pics. My wife and I had an opportunity to get away for the weekend sans our boy and dog (who were happy to spend it with older sis and her boyfriend). We went to Pokagon State Park in the NE corner of IN (almost to MI). It's been a while since we've camped here (years) and never in the winter (we always stayed at the Inn when it got cold). As usual, we thoroughly enjoyed the Toboggan Ride they have at the park, but it was very very crowded and we only went down the flume a couple of times due to the line and the wait time ("we could be hanging out at the campsite enjoying the fire!!!").

Temps mostly stayed in upper 30's during day/low 30's a night during our stay (warming overall as the weekend progress). Sunny days and above freezing temps equals snow melt and a sloppy campsite. Damp. Stayed dry in the tent. Sunday morning we awoke to a heavy fog. It made for a quiet "spooky" morning to go slow and enjoy the coffee before packing up. I lifted the shelter and tent over to the snow for a cleaner takedown.

I completely recommend some sort of foam sit pad (or reflective blanket) for your chair in cold weather. Makes a huge difference in warmth.

Also, the "new to me" Big Agnes Three Forks Shelter was perfect. I got it off of eBay (used and last yrs model..60% off the new model price) and it worked great as a partially enclosed additional 10x10 "vestibule" off of the tent. I can stand up under it, but must duck a bit to enter/exit. Unlike a similar sized EZ-up, it weighs only 7 lbs and packs up like a small tent. Upon setup it has four open sides but has clips that allow accessory wall panels to be clipped onto each side. It came with 2 wall panels as part of the eBay deal....and I then got another one which allows me to hang the panels off of 3 sides of the shelter. Everything PU coated for waterproofing/tape seams. It blocked wind on this camping trip....but will also block driving rain or a hot rising or setting sun. Ditto on using them as movable privacy panels. Since it's only 10x10 (and dome shaped), it's probably best for protecting 2,3 adults and/or a kid(s) and/or a dog. Not sure a standard picnic table would fit completely protected under it. We cooked and ate/sat under it and had the open side facing the fire.

Pokagon only had one of the four campground areas open. In our area...there were three other campers. We couldn't see them from our site. We were the only ones in a tent (huh? - lol).

Food: Soup...sandwich. We kept it simple. PB&Js, homemade ham/bean soup, a Mountain House meal, and a pasta dish we had as leftovers from home. Breakfast bars, bananas/fruit, oatmeal. I cooked/boiled water on a single burner propane stove using our Camp Chef Sherpa as the main cook table. Trying to minimize our need for a picnic table to cook/eat on (some of the tables are nasty, heavy/hard to move or tied down/cemented in one spot (never in a good place either). Using the fire isn't always an option---sometimes I need to use a stove. Sooooo...before Summer season arrives...I'm going to find a medium size 20x36x30ish table we can use in addition to the Sherpa.....two of my requirements...it must break down "small" for travel and it must have individually adjustable legs to fit whatever angled/holey terrain I want to place it so it can be level. Thinking we could also use it during the summer as a table while attending local outdoor concerts/movie nights/fireworks/ etc. Multiuse. I have one in mind...still researching....

Some pics from our trip:

Name:	20180120_170831.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	70989

Name:	20180120_164442 (1).jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	70990

Name:	hillybilly.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	70991

Name:	20180121_114626.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	70988
                  Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Wow, you are brave. I would not have made it on the ground in freezing temps. Maybe I'm just a big wimp. Reading your story about staying warm at the fire reminded me of something I saw somewhere, I have meant to try. You sew a slipcover over your chair, like the ones they put on banquet chairs. The cover slips over the whole chair, including the back, and goes down to the ground. Then you toss a medium/large rock in the fire and get it heated up real good. I carry a feed pan, some call them oil drain pans, for my Dutch Oven cooking. Place the rock in the pan and slide it under your chair. The heat will rise up and keep you warm, including your back, for a couple hours. Best is a heavy weight denim or similar fabric.

Comment

Enjoyed the photos...looks like a nice, uncluttered camp site. Just how I like it.
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Hey fellow Campers! I'm still getting out there so it's time for a trip report and some pics. My wife and I had an opportunity to get away for the weekend sans our boy and dog (who were happy to spend it with older sis and her boyfriend). We went to Pokagon State Park in the NE corner of IN (almost to MI). It's been a while since we've camped here (years) and never in the winter (we always stayed at the Inn when it got cold). As usual, we thoroughly enjoyed the Toboggan Ride they have at the park, but it was very very crowded and we only went down the flume a couple of times due to the line and the wait time ("we could be hanging out at the campsite enjoying the fire!!!").

Temps mostly stayed in upper 30's during day/low 30's a night during our stay (warming overall as the weekend progress). Sunny days and above freezing temps equals snow melt and a sloppy campsite. Damp. Stayed dry in the tent. Sunday morning we awoke to a heavy fog. It made for a quiet "spooky" morning to go slow and enjoy the coffee before packing up. I lifted the shelter and tent over to the snow for a cleaner takedown.

I completely recommend some sort of foam sit pad (or reflective blanket) for your chair in cold weather. Makes a huge difference in warmth.

Also, the "new to me" Big Agnes Three Forks Shelter was perfect. I got it off of eBay (used and last yrs model..60% off the new model price) and it worked great as a partially enclosed additional 10x10 "vestibule" off of the tent. I can stand up under it, but must duck a bit to enter/exit. Unlike a similar sized EZ-up, it weighs only 7 lbs and packs up like a small tent. Upon setup it has four open sides but has clips that allow accessory wall panels to be clipped onto each side. It came with 2 wall panels as part of the eBay deal....and I then got another one which allows me to hang the panels off of 3 sides of the shelter. Everything PU coated for waterproofing/tape seams. It blocked wind on this camping trip....but will also block driving rain or a hot rising or setting sun. Ditto on using them as movable privacy panels. Since it's only 10x10 (and dome shaped), it's probably best for protecting 2,3 adults and/or a kid(s) and/or a dog. Not sure a standard picnic table would fit completely protected under it. We cooked and ate/sat under it and had the open side facing the fire.

Pokagon only had one of the four campground areas open. In our area...there were three other campers. We couldn't see them from our site. We were the only ones in a tent (huh? - lol).

Food: Soup...sandwich. We kept it simple. PB&Js, homemade ham/bean soup, a Mountain House meal, and a pasta dish we had as leftovers from home. Breakfast bars, bananas/fruit, oatmeal. I cooked/boiled water on a single burner propane stove using our Camp Chef Sherpa as the main cook table. Trying to minimize our need for a picnic table to cook/eat on (some of the tables are nasty, heavy/hard to move or tied down/cemented in one spot (never in a good place either). Using the fire isn't always an option---sometimes I need to use a stove. Sooooo...before Summer season arrives...I'm going to find a medium size 20x36x30ish table we can use in addition to the Sherpa.....two of my requirements...it must break down "small" for travel and it must have individually adjustable legs to fit whatever angled/holey terrain I want to place it so it can be level. Thinking we could also use it during the summer as a table while attending local outdoor concerts/movie nights/fireworks/ etc. Multiuse. I have one in mind...still researching....

Some pics from our trip:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6298[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6300[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6301[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6297[/ATTACH]
                        I am jealous. I have been wanting to get out in the snow but funds are low.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Brrrr....

Enjoy!
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Hey fellow Campers! Due to a favorable change of plans for the weekend and a favorable forecast, my wife and I (and Willa)were able to "get out there" and took a weekend trip to Prophetstown State Park in West Lafayette, IN (about an hour from us). This trip was hatched Thursday night...we worked Friday...got home...packed and went. We just returned home. Highs were in the upper 40's followed by upper 20's at night. Sunny and clear skies. Fabulous weather really. With appropriate gear, plenty of exercise ops, and a warm fire (I hauled wood from home using the trailer hitch basket and we collected even more onsite)....we all were comfortable. The hiking was great and bug free. Food simple.

We have been to this state park every summer and camped here since the aquatic center came online. Close to our home, with it's aquatic center/slides/lazy river, it is a no fail trip for those campers with kids. Surprisingly...this was our first "off season" camp trip here. No restroom facilities beyond the vault toilets at this time of year. Since our summer visit, they have replaced much of the crushed stone that is used on the sites with new stone. Much better for a tent as it is now consistently small...no large stones near the top as it weathered/aged before. Lots of new tables (not at ours this time however, lol.) Of the 110 sites, 5 total were occupied this weekend (big RV's). We were the only ones, again, in a tent (hmmm?). We couldn't really see (or hear) our RV friends from our site.

Half of the campground is located in a former Christmas tree farm, the tall remaining spruces/pines framing each site. We stayed in this "Spruce" section as the evergreen trees helped kill/block much of the NE wind we had all weekend. (note: in the summer, we "normally" stay in the Savanna section...no trees to speak of, more open, but much better breezes).

We used the Big Agnes Three Forks shelter as our sitting/kitchen center hub area, three sides blocked by attachable panels, the open side facing the fire. Tent door tucked in on one side under a panel. This trip we used the Marmot Limestone 4P. Not the best choice (imo) for below freezing temps as it can be drafty....but the spouse wanted a larger tent than used on our last trip (Cloudpeak 4p)...esp since Willa was with us. It helped this trip that our site location was well protected from the wind.

Both nights, the coyotes made quite a bit of noise yipping and shrieking in the field just below our Spruce campground section. This was probably as close as I've heard coyotes in a long time. A first time for Willa hearing them this close up as she is usually inside when I hear them at home.

Overall...a fun trip. I really like camping this time of year. A few pics:

Name:	28953720_10210319933224643_4114215059750450902_o.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	71008Click image for larger version

Name:	28700690_10210327234847179_3727915719380916789_o.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	71009Click image for larger version

Name:	29060142_10210327236847229_1495128478584651340_o.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	71010
                            Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-11-2018, 04:16 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Hey fellow Campers! Due to a favorable change of plans for the weekend and a favorable forecast, my wife and I (and Willa)were able to "get out there" and took a weekend trip to Prophetstown State Park in West Lafayette, IN (about an hour from us). This trip was hatched Thursday night...we worked Friday...got home...packed and went. We just returned home. Highs were in the upper 40's followed by upper 20's at night. Sunny and clear skies. Fabulous weather really. With appropriate gear, plenty of exercise ops, and a warm fire (I hauled wood from home using the trailer hitch basket and we collected even more onsite)....we all were comfortable. The hiking was great and bug free. Food simple.

We have been to this state park every summer and camped here since the aquatic center came online. Close to our home, with it's aquatic center/slides/lazy river, it is a no fail trip for those campers with kids. Surprisingly...this was our first "off season" camp trip here. No restroom facilities beyond the vault toilets at this time of year. Since our summer visit, they have replaced much of the crushed stone that is used on the sites with new stone. Much better for a tent as it is now consistently small...no large stones near the top as it weathered/aged before. Lots of new tables (not at ours this time however, lol.) Of the 110 sites, 5 total were occupied this weekend (big RV's). We were the only ones, again, in a tent (hmmm?). We couldn't really see (or hear) our RV friends from our site.

Half of the campground is located in a former Christmas tree farm, the tall remaining spruces/pines framing each site. We stayed in this "Spruce" section as the evergreen trees helped kill/block much of the NE wind we had all weekend. (note: in the summer, we "normally" stay in the Savanna section...no trees to speak of, more open, but much better breezes).

We used the Big Agnes Three Forks shelter as our sitting/kitchen center hub area, three sides blocked by attachable panels, the open side facing the fire. Tent door tucked in on one side under a panel. This trip we used the Marmot Limestone 4P. Not the best choice (imo) for below freezing temps as it can be drafty....but the spouse wanted a larger tent than used on our last trip (Cloudpeak 4p)...esp since Willa was with us. It helped this trip that our site location was well protected from the wind.

Both nights, the coyotes made quite a bit of noise yipping and shrieking in the field just below our Spruce campground section. This was probably as close as I've heard coyotes in a long time. A first time for Willa hearing them this close up as she is usually inside when I hear them at home.

Overall...a fun trip. I really like camping this time of year. A few pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6326[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6327[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6328[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a fun trip and I am a little jealous. I have been thinking of doing what you did. Maybe get off work a little early and heading out for the weekend, but I am still learning my new job so I don't see it happening any time soon.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

This is definitely one of my favorite times of the year to get out. Most people are tired of the cold and still hibernating, so the parks are relatively empty. Nice to at least see someone make use of their gear while mine's collecting dust. Yeah - I'm jealous. :p

Comment

Working...
                                X