Thread: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Glad to see you had a pleasant trip to Chain O Lakes SP. I'm surprised there weren't a lot of campers in primitive, usually more until after Labor Day.

It sounds like except for the rain you had a pretty good trip. The trails up there are some of our favorites we try to go up for the day since it's only about an hour away.
    Warm days and cool nights for sleeping is my favorite. Willa seems to be enjoying the relaxing fire. I can only imagine a hike doesn't wear her out for long.

We found waist leash is actually easier when hiking. I used some paracord to wrap a small section of our 6 foot leash in a cobra knot (I think that is what it's called) and a 75lb Niteize S-Biner on the loop end. I just wrap it around my waist on the trail and it is just enough leash to keep her on the trail and out of the poison ivy. We have a regular Outward Hound one for in town walks but I really like the 6' leash with the S-Biner best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000U...AOutward+Hound

https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/r...our-dog-pulls/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	6142  

2. Thanks a65hoosier thanked for this post
    Likes a65hoosier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Denni2 - I was surprised at the # of open sites. You can't tell if they were open, or reserved-but no shows.

The rain wasn't bad timing as it was early am, but it was a soaker. Having the Noah overhead meant dry space/stuff underneath. The trails, however, were pretty wet Sat am. lol The weather/temps were fantastic-but more early fall-like than middle of August here in IN (as you know).

Willa does generally good on a 6 foot leash as we've trained her using it since we got her at 8wks old. She stays surprisingly close to me....but we're not 100%. Always working/practicing. It appears that at this age....I'm finding out she can go hiking/walking a long time/distance. lololol.

I will take a look at rigging something up like you have for waist. It would free up my hand(s). It would also make taking pics a bit easier. Thanks for passing that along. Take care.
    2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights 2015: 19 nights

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Easton Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12

4. Likes Denni2 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

...A couple for this last (labor day) weekend...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	6143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tent inside LD 2017 50.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	6144

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by a65hoosier View Post
    Denni2 - I was surprised at the # of open sites. You can't tell if they were open, or reserved-but no shows.

The rain wasn't bad timing as it was early am, but it was a soaker. Having the Noah overhead meant dry space/stuff underneath. The trails, however, were pretty wet Sat am. lol The weather/temps were fantastic-but more early fall-like than middle of August here in IN (as you know).

Willa does generally good on a 6 foot leash as we've trained her using it since we got her at 8wks old. She stays surprisingly close to me....but we're not 100%. Always working/practicing. It appears that at this age....I'm finding out she can go hiking/walking a long time/distance. lololol.

I will take a look at rigging something up like you have for waist. It would free up my hand(s). It would also make taking pics a bit easier. Thanks for passing that along. Take care.
    The waist band is OK. It really doesn't work well with 2 dogs (unless you like being ripped apart at the middle). I also worry about if the dog takes off after a rabbit, etc. I have always been taught not to wrap leashes, etc., around your wrist and such because you may need to let go in an emergency. With a waste band, you can't easily let go. For me, I find connecting the dogs together is much more effective. Moose-dog will most always come back to me, so Bat-dog, who is a bit more stubborn, has to come along for the ride. It's actually a great training tool. I've also learned that for Bat-dog, a whistle is a much more effective call back than calling her name.

For that "we walk for hours and she's still not worn out" issue, I started using a doggie backpack. I started it with Dog (shepherd/lab) and Bear-dog (akita) because her energy was much higher than his and he'd get exhausted trying to keep up with her. With her wearing the backpack, she slowed down to more his pace. For Dog, I used a fairly big sized backpack and filled it with a couple water bottles, snacks, beach towel, sweatjacket, etc.

For Moose-dog and Bat-dog, I got smaller packs that are big enough to hold snacks in Bat-dog's bags and a couple water bottles in Moose-dog's bags. Plus their poop bags, wet wipes, etc.

The basic rules are:
    Don't start using one until the dog is fully grown (about 2 years) so you don't risk damage to their bone development.
    Don't put expensive or delicate stuff in the packs - the dogs will still go through tight spots without consideration.
    Put snacks, etc., in sealed plastic baggies - tootsie rolls don't taste good after going for a swim in the lake.

Some dogs take better to it than others. Dog never even thought twice about carrying stuff. Her brother Bear-dog thought he was going to die (he was rather sensitive). I put it on my sibling's dog and she just stopped and stared until I removed it. Moose-dog and Bat-dog don't mind it at all. This is them chasing lizards with their packs on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Last Stand.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	6146  
    Last edited by toedtoes; 09-04-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

7. Thanks a65hoosier thanked for this post
    Likes a65hoosier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

We just returned from a relaxing 5 days at Starve Hollow SRA. Thanks to a65hoosier for posting about the location. We arrived on Sunday evening when most campers we pulling out. This is a nice campground, we got a site on the lake.

The weather was good most of the week except for heavy rain on Tuesday morning. It was a good test for the new Marmot tent and I am happy to report everything thing stayed dry. Daisy wanted no part of the rain and would not leave the tent until it stopped. My husband and I stayed under the canopy and enjoyed the rain. The soil drained quickly and by the afternoon most of the campsite was dry.

My husband did some hiking and really enjoyed the trails, I stayed in camp with Daisy, she is too old for hiking. We did take several walks around the campground.

The lake was beautiful, we spent several hours watching fish jump and turtles. The people next to was catching large fish off the shore, they said they were Burbot and are supposed to be good to eat.

Name:	59E18919-80FA-4B56-A411-782EDCA753DE.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	6157

Name:	1E4DC761-460B-461D-A797-29C05EDC1578.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	6156

9. Likes a65hoosier, James., MacGyver liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Denni2 - That is fantastic. It's fun finding/exploring little gems in your home state. The Marmot Limestone is a great tent, esp so when it rains.

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Hey fellow campers...I was back "out there" camping this past weekend. This time to Summit Lake State Park, New Castle IN. With me was my wife and our dog.

Activities at the 2,700 acre park (including an 800 acre lake) are really centered around fishing. There are numerous areas to shore fish, pier fish, etc. if you do not have a boat (boat rentals available in season). Hiking trails total only about 5 miles. This was our first camping trip here (we've been hiking and fishing before). No fishing this trip...this was all about hanging at the campsite eating/drinking and enjoying the fire. We hiked when Willa needed some walk time.

121 campsites are organized into 2 separated sections/areas. Many of the campsites have lake views and/or shoreline access for fishing. One of the 2 campsite sections/areas was closed off for this off-season to allow maintenance staff to fell approximately 30 large ash trees which had been killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. For safety sake, they had to be taken down (what a bummer seeing these giants laying around). Although closed off for camping, there was no restriction against wandering around the area and doing some exploring with the dog (I took Willa off leash and let her run like a maniac through the closed campground section-such fun!). We hiked all of the trails.

There were 9 of the sites occupied. We were the only ones in a tent.

Temps did not get out the 40's during the day...nighttime lows dipped into the upper 20's one night, lower 30's the next night. Very little wind which helped. Managed to lounge about Sunday morning and got packed up just before the steady rain began. Plenty warm at night...we had 10 and 20 degree rated down quilts and the dog was using a 28 degree mummy bag. Sleep pads rated at R 6.8. Proper clothing (hats, tops/bottoms/socks). The quilts worked better than we expected...no drafts, etc. We used the straps to attach the quilts to our pads to keep them from slipping off. It was nice being able to move/toss/turn at night without getting twisted up in a mummy bag.

Some pics:

Campsite, lakeview from campsite, 2 pics in the closed camp section, and a campsite pic at night.

Name:	Summit Lake Campsite Day.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	6269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summit Lake Campsite Lakeview.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	6271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summit Lake Camp Closed Section 1.jpg 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	6272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summit Lake Camp Closed Section 2.jpg 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	6273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23550999_10209537759390786_8431967996778591105_o.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	6274
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-13-2017 at 07:32 PM.

12. Likes MacGyver liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by a65hoosier View Post
    Hey fellow campers...I was back "out there" camping this past weekend.
    Okay... I officially hate you. You get "out there" WAY more than I can.

We have the Ash Borer problem here as well. It's so bad that the rangers aren't supposed to let you bring in firewood from anywhere outside the park or from approved vendors. Fortunately for me, as an exterminator, I have a workaround that really shouldn't work, but it does (at least it did once). I show them my company ID along with a bottle of the chemical used to treat wood for the borers and they let it slide.

Umm... taking back the hate, it's good to see a trip go as planned. I'm big on quilts and blankets myself. I don't like the constriction of mummy bags either and my rectangular bag is so bulky, I actually leave it home now. I do better with layers of Pendleton wool blankets, a cheap Walmart quilt and a huge double thick quilt I crocheted. Of course that's all backup for when my heater goes on the blink, but it has happened at freezing temps and I was fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Okay... I officially hate you. You get "out there" WAY more than I can.

We have the Ash Borer problem here as well. It's so bad that the rangers aren't supposed to let you bring in firewood from anywhere outside the park or from approved vendors. Fortunately for me, as an exterminator, I have a workaround that really shouldn't work, but it does (at least it did once). I show them my company ID along with a bottle of the chemical used to treat wood for the borers and they let it slide.

Umm... taking back the hate, it's good to see a trip go as planned. I'm big on quilts and blankets myself. I don't like the constriction of mummy bags either and my rectangular bag is so bulky, I actually leave it home now. I do better with layers of Pendleton wool blankets, a cheap Walmart quilt and a huge double thick quilt I crocheted. Of course that's all backup for when my heater goes on the blink, but it has happened at freezing temps and I was fine.
    Ha! I try to get out on average once a month/6 wks or so. I'm only doing quick 2 night trips for the most part during the year (it fits into my job schedule and everything else that goes on personally/family/etc). It's also a big reason I started downsizing what I brought camping several years ago. It sucked to pack down an entire SUV and then only get to use it for a couple of nights. So most of my gear and packing is organized for these quick trips. Fast pack up, fast set-up/take down at camp, and quickly back onto the gear shelf for the next time.

You would know about the Emerald Ash Borer. It truly has been a plague upon ash trees throughout Indiana and other states (not sure what the range is...but it seems to keep expanding). Now...the true cost is beginning to be felt in $$$ spent taking down those dead trees and the actual lost value that tree may have brought for shade/landscaping/etc (homes, city parks, etc).

In IN, you either have to purchase wood at the park or if purchased from outside, it must show a compliance label (but I've never had a ranger verify a compliance label). Oddly, they still allow you to bring wood from home, but the bark must be removed. I brought from home about 12-15 half split logs where the bark had fallen off and just laid them down first in the SUV before packing it up (I have really aged/older cut firewood in my stacks at home). The rest I bought at the park.

Summit Lake began selling (cheap) the cut/downed logs/wood from the closed camping area the day after we left (I had read earlier in the month that they would be cutting trees and selling it off to locals-so all of the cut/downed trees wasn't surprising...just disappointing). Unfortunately, it was too far a walk for us to grab large arm sized branches in that camp section and drag them back to the campsite for our fire (I brought a saw just in case I could). One does go through the firewood when the temps dip.

re: quilts/blankets. Yea, I don't think I could ever crawl into the mummy bag after this trip's positive experience with a quilt. I had been reduced to opening up my mummy bag and using it sort-of like a quilt/blanket to escape the restrictiveness. We too have the big rectangle bags that no longer get much use-gotta be 15+ years old. Sleeping/bedding gear was one of my first areas where I tried to reduce gear size and weight of what I was packing on trips. If you really look at your pile of gear....bedding can take up huge amounts of storage space in your vehicle compared to other items. Now...with smaller sleeping pads and easier to compress quilts, all of my bedding fits into half the space of what a single rectangular sleeping bag used to take up all by itself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

...UH (shudder) mummy bags...
    ...Last time I used mine, I managed to role over in it; only to wake up thinking that I was suffocating... (never again) ...
    Its now a spare bag for out of state visitors.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thread Information