Thread: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Man would I like to drop a popper near those lily pads!
    Nice pics from what was obviously a really nice trip.
    11.3% more sarcasm in 2017

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Man would I like to drop a popper near those lily pads!
    Nice pics from what was obviously a really nice trip.
    Ha! That's what I thought also because it just seemed like a good largemouth hangout. We tossed just about everything into and around those pads---a Hula Popper, a Jitterbug, Weedless GrassFrogs, Floating Rapalas, Spinners and Spinnerbaits, etc etc etc. Zero bites. Even my son, the "fisherman", got a zero hung on him. We tried this line of pads both early dawn and late dusk over a period of a few days. Nothing.

On the positive side....the others out there fishing were having about the same luck. Still....a day of fishing is always better than a day of work.
    2017: 15 nights 2016: 20 nights 2015: 19 nights

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Easton Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

a65hoosier, I showed my husband your pictures of Starve Hollow State Rec Area and now we are going to be spending a week there in September, lol. We usually try to find somewhere really primitive, but the husband has been wanting to camp by the water so we thought we would check it out.

Your pictures look really nice and Willa looks relaxed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Denni2 View Post
    a65hoosier, I showed my husband your pictures of Starve Hollow State Rec Area and now we are going to be spending a week there in September, lol. We usually try to find somewhere really primitive, but the husband has been wanting to camp by the water so we thought we would check it out.

Your pictures look really nice and Willa looks relaxed.
    Denni2 - Thanks! We were at site #12. The ones on either side of us would be pretty good for tents also. I usually take a peek at site photos via the ReserveAmerica website prior to booking. A picture doesn't guarantee a perfect site, but it's better than nothing.

It was a very relaxing trip and my pup is starting to get the hang of what "camping" entails. lol. Campground was quiet altho it was prob 90% full. When we were there, the "Midwest Treasure Hunters" club was also there for the week for their summer rally (they camped on the other side of the campground). It was interesting seeing 30+ folks each day wandering around a big field waving their metal detectors.

I'll be up in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks primitive camping---Chain O Lakes SP.

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Great pics a65.....Camping spot right on the shore of the lake is just beautiful.....Thanks 4 sharing !!
    2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34

6. Thanks a65hoosier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

For photos of individual campsites, check out campsitephotos.com

They don't have every campground, but those they do are complete. I use that and flashearth to check out spots.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toedtoes View Post

They don't have every campground, but those they do are complete. I use that and flashearth to check out spots.
    I tried campsitephotos. No Indiana campgrounds listed at all (boooooo) but it is another resource depending on where you are going. Bookmarked. Good information depending on the location.

I do use Google Earth...I'll have to try flashearth.

Thanks!

I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toedtoes View Post

What is flashearth?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Flashearth is like google earth - it's just not google.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I spent last weekend in the northern part of my state at Chain O Lakes State Park. This is a popular park with many glacial formed lakes connected by channels. Great for canoeing and kayaking, fishing, etc. Over 23 miles of trails (most are fairly easy/moderate). It was nice to see the number of sites (electric, non, and primitive) that had tents. Many more than I normally see and it was fun walking around and checking out the various models and set-ups.

This was my first "solo" trip with my dog. We car camped in the primitive section #411. This park holds special memories as it was one of the first parks my wife and I camped at while dating long long ago (she couldn't make this trip). I try to take an annual trip to this park and have in the last few years enjoyed camping in the primitive section. Primitive was maybe 30% full...and very quiet (the electric and non was maybe 50% full). It poured early early Sat morning---buckets, but the site drained well. Noah tarp went up without a hitch, the hardest part is always placement. I decided to put the tent fully under the tarp this trip since I didn't need much protected "sittin" space. I stayed dry thru out the trip. Rest of the trip, the weather was fantastic. Temps upper 70's/low 80's and at night upper 50's/low 60's. No problems with Willa---although as a puppy, it's like chasing and dealing with a kid. Fabulous fun moments followed by "leave it", "knock it off", "stop", etc. etc. lolololol. We hiked 8+ miles of trails, wandered the campground idk how many times, socialized with some other campers, kids, and other dogs thru out the weekend. I'm rapidly learning that a dog attracts attention. lol. We both also ate well. Ya can't eat a steak without sharing some with your buddy. I will have to improve my campfire stories...they did appear to bore her. Or maybe it was the warmth of the campfire?

Sorry no scenic vistas, but the pic is typical of the terrain here (it IS Indiana after all)...and keeping Willa on the leash while hiking somewhat limited photo ops.

Happy camping all....keep getting out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain O Lakes 411 a.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	6139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain O Lakes 411.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	6140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain O Lakes Hike.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	6141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain O Lakes Willa a.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	6137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain O Lakes Willa.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	6138
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 08-21-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Thread Information