Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you protect your stuff when away from the tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you protect your stuff when away from the tent?

My wife and are all set to go camping again on our 43 rd anniversary next week. We camped on our honeymoon. So much has changed in 43 years. We never had to think to much about our tent and belongings being taken. We are going fishing and our tent camping grounds is about 1 mile away.

What do you do in protecting you stuff from vandalism:rolleyes:?

Re: How do you protect your stuff when away from the tent?

Keep your valuables always in your vehicle's trunk or backseat. Have dark tinted windows so another unknown person can't see your stuff. Use blankets to cover your valuables. Carry a firearm, best equalizer when confronted with someone with a knife. Most other campers are very honest people. Remember that the would be thief is thinking that most people that camp, even single women camping solo or with kids are armed to the teeth with pepper spray and a handgun and won't even try to attack a man & a woman together. Men are better armed with knives and handguns and know how to use them. Stay safe and have fun, but keep your wits about you. Don't drink in public, no one needs to see your business. Don't drink to excess either. It's not that bad really! Most campers leave well enough alone. Cover your cooking stove or other types of gear with tarps or a blanket. Keep your tent zipped at all times when gone. Happy anniversary! And many more times camping! I have never heard of someone's tent being stolen. Say hi to your neighbors, most will be happy to meet you. They will keep an eye out while you're away and you could do the same for them. Enjoy! The most crime is in the cities, not the campgrounds!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for those great ideas. The radio playing is one I had not even thought of, or introducing yourself to near by campers. I do use a wheelchair, but we are not using the handicapped camp spots. The only difference is the tow sites is one is perfectly level. I do walk but not for too far. We don't drink but always have Beer....A&W Rootbeer that is, and it's real good too.

The camp ground is state owned, and the trout fishing is excellent. We have gone fishing there three time before and caught our limit each time. The camp sites are for RV's as well so a tent might be the only one for a food number od sites. We are trying the tent first, and if we like and are able to enjoy the camping we most likely will look at a small travel trailer or a pop up. The tent first is a small investment compared to a trailer.

We lived in California for many years, and the camp sited in Kings Canyon were so nice 43 years ago....but the last time we visited there it was wall to tent peg and about 5 feet distance apart from each other. We saw tree bark removed up to the point people could not reach it any more. The streams were elbow to elbow with fisherman and women. That is not what I call camping!

Missouri is about 40 years behind Calif. The State takes care of parks, and I believe the people take pride in our state as well. However we do have some transplants from other states that have adapted very well, just as we did. In our state there are camping parks that cost is very reasonable. A site with water sewer, and electric goes for $ 26 a night. For all those services I see $26 a bargin. That includes RV's as well. Perhaps the best place of all is Lake of the Ozarks. The Lake has a length of shoreline as equal to the length of Calif. costal shore line. If Lake of the Ozark was in Calif. it would not have a house site to build on. I wonder with Calif.'s budhet woes is state parks for camping is having a lot of effects.

Well thank's for the replys!

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
        [LIST]
        [*]Campground theft is extremely rare. Statistically, your house in town is in a lot more trouble while you're at the campground!!!
        So true!! I worry about my house being burglarized every time I see my "neighbors" watching me pack my car for a camping outing.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thanks for your note. We called for our reservations and they are even more! regular cost is $ 26 a night, two nite min, and there is a $ 8.50 booking charge. I get a $ 2. discount for being handicapped. So for two days it cost $ 56.50, so $ 3. was a real bargin then, perhaps.
          I don't know if your aware but camp # 1 has electric, sewer, and water and cement pads, thats more like camping at home, but the fishing is so fum! Its been so hot all summer, so we have been cool inside until this week.

What we have noticed is how much there is for going camping compared to 43 years ago. We camped very primitive back then, Now there is everything from fans for inside the tent, to Coleman prophane coffee makers! What happened to water in the coffee pot with coffee dumped in the pot, boiled and grounds sifted so as not to get in the cup. Now camps have showere, washers and dryers! Camping really makes it easier on wives, and they can enjoy things and fish just as much as we can.

Comment

Originally posted by farout View Post
            Thanks for your note. We called for our reservations and they are even more! regular cost is $ 26 a night, two nite min, and there is a $ 8.50 booking charge. I get a $ 2. discount for being handicapped. So for two days it cost $ 56.50, so $ 3. was a real bargin then, perhaps.
            I don't know if your aware but camp # 1 has electric, sewer, and water and cement pads, thats more like camping at home, but the fishing is so fum! Its been so hot all summer, so we have been cool inside until this week.

What we have noticed is how much there is for going camping compared to 43 years ago. We camped very primitive back then, Now there is everything from fans for inside the tent, to Coleman propane coffee makers! What happened to water in the coffee pot with coffee dumped in the pot, boiled and grounds sifted so as not to get in the cup. Now camps have showers, washers and dryers! Camping really makes it easier on wives, and they can enjoy things and fish just as much as we can.
            farout, glad to see you have discovered the joys of the enormous gamut of camping conveniences today. It makes camp shopping fun and helps you fill up your garage, basement, and attic with camp stuff like never before.

Campsites are more expensive, but they are cleaner, better managed, better maintained, and are safer (through better patrolling) than they used to be. As you pointed out, many national and state campgrounds have showers and some campgrounds have laundromats. Some even have small shops that sell snacks, ice, foods, and equipment. Others even have rental bicycles.

In some ways, things have improved and in some ways they have lost their charm, but camping is more accessible to more people than ever before and that is good.

As far as things getting stolen, I think things are better/safer than they used to be. I am not sure why. Maybe stuff is just so cheap and easy to get that thieves aren't motivated to steal. Surely, there is very little re-sell value in used camping gear. I would like to think that people are getting better. I knew lots of thieves when I was a kid - kids that would steal stuff just for the sake of stealing. I didn't see much of that in my own children's pier groups. I leave stuff out all the time that doesn't get stolen. Geesh, if somebody needs a sleeping bag or a flashlight so bad that they have to steal it from my campsite - share the wealth. God will provide me with what I need.

Comment

Working...
            X