Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

full-time tent living...anyone doing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full-time tent living...anyone doing it?

I've seen all kinds of blogs and websites written by folks who have decided to live
    full-time in RV's...
    and I find them interesting to read but as I/we are living on a fixed income that
    type of lifestyle is way out of our price range...

love camping with a tent and saved up enough to buy a 9x12 kodiak canvas...
    want to try our hand at living full-time in a tent,traveling around this great
    country of ours and seeing what the country looks like outside of current location...
    before we are too old to do anymore traveling...

long story short is there anyone out there(on this forum) that is living this kind
    of life, and would be willing to share their insights, trials, experiences here?

Re: full-time tent living...anyone doing it?

I moved your thread here to "Campouts & Outings" from Off Topic. Your thread is perfect for this subject. Who knows as your journey continues and others respond you may get a sticky and always have a place to call home. lol
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hogsnapper - that was really good advice. I've often dreamt of just living in a tent and I assumed it would be less expensive. I had not thought of all the points you raised.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

HOGSNAPPER--thank you for responding...I had already thought about some of the points you brought up...
        We already have the expense of doing laundry at the laundromat as we don't own washer/dryer so that expense
        is covered...hadn't thought about the added cost of insurance but that is a good point to consider...
        I think we have taken into consideration just about all the other points you mentioned...
        We rent a house and pay separate utilities but I think we could save/spend less money by camping
        and using solar whenever possible...the isolation part is not an issue as we both prefer to not be around
        folks that much...we also qualify for the senior park passes which will help with the entrance/camping fees at most
        federal park facilities...
        My housemate has lived in a primitive camp-like setup in the past for almost a year so he is familiar with that kind of life...
        Me, not so much, but I did try it for about 3 months...the camping part wasn't hard, but at that point in time
        I had to have work and that was a problem...now, since I'm disabled it's not as important...anyway, again thank you so
        much for shareing your knowlege...
        hope to be able to start this adventure within the next two/three months...still have some down-sizing to do household goods-wize
        starting to get antsy about getting out of here...plan to stay in south Texas for at least the first month or so to get used to the
        chanfe in routine, after that anywhere where it's warm for the winter...

Comment

RENO: didn't ignore your post,just got sidetracked with all the info that was posted...thanks for posting my query in the
          better topic area...hope it can become a sticky, I'll do my part as much as possible...have to learn a lot of things
          about blog writing/computer stuff...

GLITTERHIKER: I was thinking the same thing about camping being less expensive than the real world...guess I'll find
          out first-hand in a few months...

HOGSNAPPER:we've got several water jugs, both types(collapsible/rigid) and have looked at the drinking water hose...
          couldn't decide what size to get so have put that off for the moment...why did you decide on a 50'?
          One other question...are you familiar with a water filter that attaches directly to the water hose itself? one of the RVing blogs
          I'm reading recommended that type, not sure if it would work with our setup...I have heard of the Berkey and done some
          research into them...

Comment

Our setup so far:
            9x12 kodiak canvas tent, separate shade canopy, several tarps for both ground cloth and rain fly/shade
            coleman 2 burner propane stove---several small propane cylinders/ 1--20# cylinder
            Reliance 4 gal. beverage buddy, 6--1gal. water bottles/jugs, all refillable
            for sleeping: a cot and sleeping bag, extra blankets,etc for housemate
            I am using for the time being an air mattress, with a 3 inch foam mattress-(due to joint problems) on top of that,
            emergency blanket between the layers, sleeping bag with fleece insert and a few extra lightweight blankets if needed...
            haven't found a cot that's comfortable for me yet...I'm picky...
            we're also bringing a box fan, oil filled radiator type heater for chilly nights, when needed...
            cast iron cookware, general cooking utensils/enamelware dishes,etc.
            2 mid-sized coolers(lighter weight for us to carry), round cooler for drinks(can double for water storage,if needed)
            solar powered lantern, NOAA radio(multi-function), a couple of solar-powered yard lights,couple of flashlights
            personal gear(clothes/summer/winter) shoes/boots etc...

Still need to get some water hoses/filters, and a shower setup... have a luggable loo already.

If all goes according to plan, we should be starting this adventure sometime in October,camping in So. Texas, then
            maybe into New Mexico or Arizona during the winter, then work our way to Tennessee come spring...
            can't wait to get started...

Comment

In your first post you mentioned several blogs and websites that you read. Did you have any particular favorites? I like reading stuff like that. Here's an article that you might like. http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...-in-tent-ional
              May you always have love to share,
              Health to spare
              And friends that care.

Comment

NEARLYWILD: there are quite a few blogs/websites on RV'ing...I'm only reading one right now til I get caught up
                to the current date..."RVSue and Canine Crew". sorry I don't know how to post links to anything, still new
                to computering...she's a single retired lady with 2 dogs and is living full-time in a 17' Casita... she's only been on the road
                1 year this month, but the places she's been to and the things she's experienced are really interesting...at least to me and about
                450 other folks who are following her...she posts just about everyday about the simple things and out of the way
                places she stays at...lots of boondocking, with solar power to boot..interesting read
                I'll take a look at the link you posted...thanks...
                When I first noticed people were writing blogs about camping I kept looking for ones from folks who were
                tent camping full-time...haven't found any yet, so I guess not many folks are that hardy or crazy enough to want to live in
                a tent year-round...
                since I'm on a fixed income and can't afford a motorhome/hardbody camper I am going to do what I can for as long
                as I can with my van and a tent...

Comment

I lived in a tent and a tipi off and on for several years. The tipi was for a couple years, the tent less so, but in the mix was a few years living off the back of my motorcycle, then out of the back of my truck. Much of those was simply sleeping out on the ground if the weather wasn't too bad, otherwise I'd set up a lean-to with a tarp when on the bike, or sleep in the back of the truck (with shell, and built in bed). It was a fantastic experience at the time. I loved it! Most of the time was in northern Az, so I had vast areas of public land to use, National Forest mainly. Doing it in places with more people and less wild places would be tougher, but doable.

I'd be aware of security of your stuff, not leaving things in camp when you leave, and perhaps getting a small tool box/job box type affair for leaving things in. You can get looooong cables (try home depot) to lock it to a nearby tree. I never had troubles when I lived out, but it's more of a concern when you're closer to more people. I rarely left much in camp when I'd go to town though, except when I had land with the tipi set up on it.

Cold weather camping isn't all bad, I enjoyed it much of the time when I was in the tipi or wall tent, even when it would get down around zero or colder. If I was sleeping out under the stars or in the back of my truck and it got that cold, the sleeping was good, but getting up wasn't much fun. Waking up to new snow is magical though, and going for a walk in the morning in new snow is a special time. The silence and hush of being in camp when it's snowing is very cool!

I looks like you have a large enough tent to be comfortale in, that's important to long term happiness in my opinion. My wall tent has a stove jack, and I have a Sims folding wood stove. It works quite well, and doesn't take up much room when packed. If you're going to be in cold country, it's worth looking in to. The only tent I lke better than the wall tent is a tipi, I sure miss mine. Tipis aren't as easy to transport, but are much more comfortable. I loved being able to have a fire in it.

I was in the mountains of the west, there is vast amounts of public land. I rarely ever stayed in developed campgrounds, just went out and found some two-track dirt road and scouted out a camp (National Forest maps, bought from outdoor stores or local ranger district offices are a great help in finding good areas. The local rangers can also often suggest good areas for dispersed camping). The rules in National Forests generally say you can stay 2 weeks in one spot, then have to move to reduce the impact on that spot. I was only told to move twice in many years of camping. In places with less public land, it wouldn't be as cheap to do.

I think you're in for a great adventure. Keep enough padding to be truly comfortable. I slept on the ground so many years, I can't do it now unless I have a ton of padding.

Will add pictures shortly, can't seem to get into my photobucket.

Winter camp. Had a 7 mile snowshoe walk to get there, and it took an hour of shoveling with a snowshoe to get in to it.

Still having trouble with photobucket. Will add more pics later.
                  Last edited by Malamute; 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

MALAMUTE: Thank you for responding to my query...Sounds and looks like you've had an interesting adventure
                    yourself...would enjoy knowing more about what your day to day routine was like...things like cooking, cleaning up...
                    whatever you'd like to share...
                    don't know that I'll (we) be adventuring into snow country, definately not set up for that at this point in time...maybe
                    when we've had a little more experience under our belts, who's to say where we'll go...at this point we're looking at
                    staying either in south Tx, or maybe head to AZ or NM for the winter months...southern parts...
                    again THANKS for responding, and glad you decided to join our little group...look forward to reading more about
                    your adventures,expertise, and suggestions...

Comment

Sorry I'm late getting back, been a bit busy.

I was doing various things when living out, so it varied widely what the daily routine was. Sometimes I was working in town, sometimes not. Part of the time I had tons of free time. When I didn't have to be in town to work, I'd do a lot of walking/exploring around wherever I was camped. I didn't often stay in one place long, other than when I had land and left the tipi set up on it for a long time. It becomes a lot like life anywhere, you need to eat, keep house, keep yourself cleaned up, etc. I usually had a small battery operated radio for some music and general information. Most of the time I had a dog, and enjoyed roaming around exploring with the dog. It was a blast when I did it, but it can be a lot of work also. I've never been much of a cook. I can feed myself, but nothing fancy. I tend to eat simple things, and the shorter time I was going to be somewhere, the less fancy the food would be. I kept a cooler in the truck when I needed groceries. If I was working, I mostly ate out to save time and trouble. Yep, pretty much a bachelor!

In the tipi, I had an open fire inside, but cooked mostly on an antiquated Coleman gas stove. It was about as comfortable as a tent can be. I'd love to have another one. Camp cooking can be fun, but over time, its just routine. Sort of like life in most places. It doesnt seem that different after you do it for a lifestyle, other than there's some tricks that help, like keeping a stock pot with water on the fire to clean up dishes and people with. I figured that out living in a cabin without running water. Wish I'd figured it out living in the tipi.

The last time I spent much time in a tent, I lived in my wall tent for a couple months waiting for a rental to open up in town that I could have my dogs in. It was fun, and reminded me of the times in the past. I cooked a bit more there than other places I've camped. I needed to be somewhat accesible to town, as I owned a small apartment building at the time, and had sold my house (and was trying to sell the apartment building). I spent some time farther up in the mountains, but the drive to town to deal with things at the apartments was tough, so stayed fairly close to town most of that time. Part of the routine was to get cleaned up at freinds places. Same as when I was working years before. I've also cleaned up at the local rec center gym. Some campgrounds offer showers for a fair fee. In Alaska, it was easy to find places to clean up, as many houses and cabins didn't have running water due to the permafrost. Many laundromats had showers available for public use (for a fee), and every campground did.

I spent one summer roaming the northern Rockies. It was one of my favorite times. I saw a tremendous amount of country, and met a lot of interesting people. One was a lady that was riding her horse from Wisconsin to the west coast. She was interesting to talk to! Wish I'd kept in contact. I've often wondered what she did in life after that. "Normal" life would seem pretty tame.

My wall tent. This was a hunting camp years ago.

Last edited by Malamute; 09-09-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Nice camp/scenery, MALAMUTE...
                        The wall tent must have been heavy to put up/take down...did you have anyone to help you?
                        What determined where your next campsite would be, other than the proximity to town/work etc...
                        did you encounter any bears,or other large wildlife while living in the tipi...
                        The wall tents that I have looked at on the websites don't have any windows or flooring as a standard
                        feature...does it make that much of a difference in the comfort level during the summer/rainy season or
                        when it snows?

Comment

I would love to take a month out like that and just "be one with nature" but my career wouldn't allow it let alone my wife and kids...LOL. Wife went camping with me one time and that was it for her. No ac, no running water, ... bugs... she's an indoorsy type. Not that I will ever get the chance, but I would love to camp out for a long amount of time. You have to have some great stories about things you've seen.
                          "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

starting to make some headway on this camping project...
                            all the seats have been removed from the van except for the driver & front passenger ones, of course...
                            still not as much room as I was hopeing to have...especially with the
                            housemate adding to the things he thinks we absolutely HAVE to bring with us...
                            told him if it doesn't fit in this or that size tote, it's NOT coming with us...I refuse to rent a U-Haul trailer
                            to tow behind us...haha

stil trying to eliminate as much as possible from the house to put in storage...only four more areas to work on...
                            kitchen,hall closet,my bedroom, and the garage/workshop...my room is half empty...
                            It's got to be done by the end of October...don't want to pay another months rent...

Comment

10-10-2012: moving ever closer to getting on the road...

will be making a short trip to abilene to leave some things with my daughter that she can use...
                              will be taking some of our gear to use but have reserved a yurt at the Abilene State Park to stay in for two nights...
                              want to see what it's like to live in one for future reference...

will report on how it goes when I get back...will try to post some pictures...

storage unit is steadily filling up so now I have to be more aggressive with purgeing things...
                              after all just how many "left-handed widgets" does one really need? haha

Comment

Working...
                              X