Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

full-time tent living...anyone doing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: full-time tent living...anyone doing it?

I love your story. Would love to camp long term. We beat the SC heat by hitting the mountains of SC. Up 5000+ ft was in the upper 50's pm and very comfortable 70's during the day. Not sure if you want to come that far south but you can pick up the parkway in VA and head south all the way to the smokies for 4000 miles or so and be in much cooler temps. It is not the coast and I'd stay away from that for the time being with this heat lol. Have fun!

Comment

Sorry to hear You missed the accessible coastline in Maine like Schoodic peninsula and the rest of Acadia national park coast points http://www.acadiamagic.com/schoodic-point-photos.htm

Comment

TNONMYMIND, I'm so glad to have found your posts. My husband and I plan to do exactly what you are doing. We'll leave in 18 months. We have a bodacious tent (Outwell Montana 6P from the UK) that's rated for gale-force wind and rain and the gear we've been using for years as tent campers (cots, heaters, water filters, cooking gear, potty, instant hot water, etc). We thought we were the only ones nuts enough to take off in a tent! Please keep posting. I'm learning from you and seeing, vicariously until we retire, what we'll be doing.

Comment

happycampergirl, glad my posts are of help... we are by no means experts at this and we are always looking for ways
          to improve our system. we have for the time being abandoned using our Kodiak tent...it worked well for us in the beginning
          but takes a lot of energy and time to set up and tear down camp, especially when we're only staying somewhere for only one
          or two nights. so now we just use our Ford E350 van to sleep in. We can hook up to electric using extension cords, to run
          fans or a small electric heater as needed, and a work light. we have used an electric one burner hotplate inside the van
          when weather has been unfavorable outside. It's a little cramped at times but still doable...
          there is lots of information available on this site and the folks here are more than happy to share their ideas with others...
          welcome to the forum and wishing you happy travels in the months to come...

Comment

hello fellow campers:
            we are currently staying at a Las Vegas, New Mexico motel for the night...
            just spent the last few weeks at campgrounds in New Mexico...
            after Charlie's VA appt. the beginning of Oct. we traded out summer for winter gear and hit the road west...
            spent one night at Caprock Canyon state park in Quitaque, Tx. Had the thrill of seeing BISON roaming wild in the park.
            We stayed at this park a few years ago but the bison were not allowed to roam throughout the entire park, so we didn't
            see any in the camping area where we were. This time however, they were roaming right through the campsites...
            a bit unnerving to have a full grown bison coming toward you at a gallop, however I had an escape route nearby if
            needed...
            Then on to New Mexico...3 nights at Conchas Lake State Park located just North of Tucumcari, New Mexico, lake level is
            down some due to lack of rain. There are 2 areas for camping along with primitive areas with camping right at lakeside.
            biggest negative was lack of trees...there are adobe ramadas over the picnic tables at most of the sights as well as electric/water...
            then up to Sugarite Canyon State Park located near Raton, New Mexico, just a few miles from the Colorado border...
            loved the scenery, lots of mountains all around with pinon/juniper trees and deciduous trees changing colors. lots of
            yellow/gold leaves...however, the campground is somewhat primitive. there are water/electric sites (16) and tent sites...
            the biggest problem was a water issue...signs at all the sites gave a water boil advisory due to E coli having been found
            last summer (2015) during routine water testing(3 separate times) We luckily had several bottles of water we had filled
            prior to going to the campground...so no showers while we were there, they worked, we just didn't want to take a chance...
            had mule deer wander through the campsites at this park, they came right up to the back of the van eating the acorns
            that had fallen on the ground...there are two small lakes close by, and folks were catching trout quite often.
            we are now headed to Oasis State Park located between Clovis/Portales in southeast new mexico...will report on this
            park when we have access to WIFI again...till then happy camping to all who are still getting out even as temps. and weather
            change...

Comment

I'm back!! Oasis was not one of our best choices...biggest problem was the flies...there are numerous dairy farms all around
              the area so the flies were in mass quantities...we put out a yellow fly stick and within 30 minutes it was completely covered with
              buzzing flies...needless to say we didn't stay but 2 nights there...
              next stop--Sumner Lake...only one night this time, as it was windy and it too had large #'s of flies which made cooking outdoors
              difficult even though the site had a shelter over the table...Bathrooms for all the campsites was a trek uphill and 30 stairs
              to climb...
              next we went to Manzano Mtn. S.P. just north of Mountainair, new mexico. this park is really nice...lots of pines and Alligator
              Juniper trees...sites are nicely spaced with shrubs and greenery to give some privacy...it's a small park with only
              38 or so sites...Park office is right next to the bathrooms, however there are no shower facilities and water is shared by all...
              there are several spigots spaced throughout the area, and some sites have what they call huts covering the table and some
              sites have electric 20/30 amp only...we saw an assortment of wildlife, the most interesting being the Manzano tassel ear squirrel...a really unusual looking animal with dark/black fur and white underbelly and tufts of fur on their ears as well as stellar jay's, ravens, hairy woodpeckers, and nuthatches...
              liked this park so well we stayed for 5 days...would have stayed longer but our food supply was being depleted...nearest
              place to buy groceries was a 35 minute drive one way...and weather was getting cold and rainy, so on to the next
              stop which was a motel in Socorro, N.M. for 2 nights using reward points...
              After stormy weather left the area we headed south on I-25 to Elephant Butte Lake State Park where we are currently
              this is the largest lake in N.M. and the park is big enough that they have 3 lanes and entry booths...amazingly it is not
              insanely busy...could be because it is the off season, and the lake looks to be quite low based on the water line marks
              on the mesas surrounding the lake...camping is first come-first serve and we had no problem finding a spot with both water and electric...weather has been comfortable with gentle breezes every day so far...bathroom/shower is short walk from
              our site...there are a variety of wildlife to be seen and the views of the lake and mesa's that surround the area are
              very nice...lot's of birds, Gambel's quail,along with cottontail rabbits that come right up to the sites and a jackalope or 2
              minus the antlers of course...
              since we plan on staying in New Mexico for the winter we decided to buy an annual park pass...cost for non-resident is
              $225...this might seem like a lot of money but it really isn't...with the pass a campsite with electric only costs $4.
              so after 23 days of camping the pass has paid for itself in a sense... regular cost for electric site is $14...and the pass
              is good for 1 year from date of purchase...
              this park also has WIFI, that's why I'm able to make this post from the site...the town of Elephant Butte is just outside
              the park entrance...it has a post office, water/ice machine, a few restaurants, a laundry available to the public at one
              of the private RV parks and other asst. businesses...Nearest grocery store or Walmart is in the town of Truth or Consequences about a 10 minute drive from here...there are 4 state parks along this stretch of interstate...I will report
              on them as I go...for now Happy Camping to all...

Comment

happy belated Thanksgiving to all and thank you for the birthday wishes as well...
                We made our way to Elephant Butte Lake state park. started out just paying for 2 nights as we weren't sure if we
                were going to like it there...moved to a different site and decided to stay the full 14 day limit...this is a pretty quiet park
                even though it was full most of the time we were there. WiFi, although available was not dependable...
                Showers were also available but required repeatedly pressing the button for water flow, and bathrooms/showers were
                not heated...
                after our time limit ended we travelled about 15 miles further south to Caballo Lake state Park...we only stayed at this
                one for 5 nights as the temps dropped down into the 40's for a high and 30's at night, as well as windy/overcast.
                hard to cook outside with the wind blowing upwards of 30 mph although the sites had short rock walls on 2 sides of the covered table...
                currently in another motel room for the next day or two then heading back to south texas. hopefully we will miss the
                wind/rain that's forecast for that area over the next week...

Comment

Happy camping in TX, TN!
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I'm baaacckk...
                    once back in texas we stayed at a few motels, went and picked up our mail then, after checking weather again, headed for
                    south texas.
                    first stop, Goliad State Park...got a screen shelter site so I could stay dry and somewhat out of the wind to cook food...
                    only stayed 3 nights as camping fee is $25 a night. they do have off-season rate for regular water/electric site from
                    December through February,both weekly and monthly...weather was cold and wet the entire time...so we moved on
                    Next stop was Bastrop State Park, 35 miles or so East of Austin...we had stayed there mid-January to mid-February of
                    2016...started with 2 nights then went ahead and did the monthly rate...for most part weather was good, 60's daytime,
                    40's/50's at night...then the cold snap came. Temp's nosedived into the 40's for highs and low 30's at night with
                    a few nights in teens and 20's ...stayed holed up in van those days, only venturing out to cook...I set up our screen tent
                    over the picnic table and enclosed it on three sides with tarps to block the wind as much as possible but still be able to get in
                    and out easily. we had a few days with some gusty winds but the shelter stood up to the challenge with minimal
                    movement...I was amazed what a difference the tarps made. I tied and staked the heck out of it, as there were enough
                    trees all around to tie all the sides to...spent Christmas and new year's there...nice/peaceful/fairly WARM...
                    We debated whether to extend, if possible, but after looking at the weather again decided against it...
                    thought we were heading to warmer climate(according to weather channel)so set our course for New Mexico and
                    Elephant Butte Lake State Park...SURPRISE,the weather is cold here again...so we're right back where we started...
                    this time we have no real wind barrier as the table has a roof over it but no walls and the screen tent won't fit
                    around the inside of the support poles...I have the distinct pleasure of standing out in the cold and wind cooking
                    supper, and the wind always seems to pick up when I need to go out and cook...Oh I hope SPRING gets here
                    soon...I'm so tired of the cold and rain...The mountains across the Lake in the distance are snow capped...too close
                    for my comfort...Is there anywhere in the USA not having cold/windy/wet conditions???
                    Leaving in two days for Rockhound State Park also in N.M. It's a little further south from here and weather looks to be
                    a little warmer...We'll see, if not then we will head for Southern AZ like I wanted to do to begin with. Ahhh, the best
                    laid plans of mice and men...Hope everyone has a happy healthy New Year with lots of opportunity to get into
                    the great outdoors...be back with updates as WiFi is available...

Comment

Hey TNOMYMIND!

Good to see of ya, sweetness. Are you going to make a stop at Quartzsite when you get to AZ? Been reading a RVer's journal on the place and it sounds very relaxing.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

NYCgrrl: hey girl, Quartzite is not on the agenda...it's basically just miles and miles of open desert where a couple
                        thousand big and small RV's gather to get away from the colder temps for the winter...the town itself only has 2 to 3000
                        permanent residents but swells every winter (December to February/march) to 10,000 or better folks...no electric/water
                        facilities of any kind...true boondocking to the max...
                        they have lots of rallies, big tent areas for vendors of every description, and lots of gatherings for folks to attend...
                        The first time I saw it we were on the interstate coming back to AZ from Blythe,CA... as I crested the hill and looked out
                        there was nothing but a sea of RV's of all sizes and descriptions on both sides of the interstate...the first thing that came
                        to mind were the song lyrics "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you"
                        It was crazy...
                        We're not set up to do that kind of camping,,,hopefully, once the van is paid for we can look into getting some solar
                        panels on the van roof and a cargo trailer to convert into a camper of sorts...that won't be for another year, so
                        for now we just go where we can hook up to electric/water and bathroom/shower facilities...
                        If it were up to me we would forgo the electric sites but not the rest...Quartzite might be a stop in the future
                        If I were by myself I would go back to setting up the tent and staying in one place for the max limit before moving
                        on to another area as the weather allowed...oh well, one can dream
                        right now we are in a motel in deming, nm for the next two nights to get out of the bad weather that's headed across
                        the country...hoping to go to Rockhound State Park near here to collect some semi-precious rocks/pebbles...this park allows
                        people to gather and take up to 15# of rocks with them when they leave...very unusual for a State Park anywhere to
                        allow removal of any natural materials...

Comment

That's what I was reading on a Quartize journal....days and days of nothing in particular to do and lots of junk (according to the writer) for sale, LOL. Still he's gone back 3 times so yeah the financial incentive must be strong. He also noted that there are a lot of RV rallies....think he has a Casita which are pretty rare on the East Coast.

Rockhounding sounds like fun and I bet you can be alllllll ready for Christmas before the spring is over:cool:
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

well, Rockhound didn't pan out...It's a small park...29 sites total, always busy except in high summer when temps. are
                            really hot...we found an empty site but it was too far for late night runs to the bathroom...also found out that as of 2013
                            we are no longer permitted to take out 15# of rocks...trails close to the campsites have pretty much been depleted
                            of anything were collecting so it means having to hike further into the foothills for collecting. Neither of us are physically
                            able to do hiking on rough terrain so we left...the park does have a very nice visitor center with displays about the geology
                            and wildlife,etc. in the area...after looking at the displays we got back on the road...
                            found another park also near deming, nm...Pancho Villa State Park, located at the crossroads of hwys.11 and 9 in the
                            town of Columbus, nm...this park is on the former site of Camp Furlong, the first U.S Army Airbase.
                            The town of Columbus was invaded by Pancho Villa's troops in 1916...general Pershing was sent in to capture Villa and
                            his men...there is a good size museum/visitor center at the campground with lots of info about the military camp and the
                            events that took place in the area...
                            the campground itself is a decent size, mostly flat ground with pull-through sites. water/electric as well as water only and
                            tent sites...we stayed 3 nights as it was very windy and cold, then went to a motel for the night
                            We are now back at Elephant Butte, where temps have been in the mid 40's daytime, and 20's/30's at night...
                            hopefully it will continue to warm up as the days go by, and I'll be able to get back to the normal (for me) routine
                            of cooking outside again...one burner hotplate cooking inside the van is somewhat challenging....

Comment

It's warm here in Mississippi - and mostly dry. Mostly.

C'mon over here!
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

thanks IM...have to be in AZ the middle of February to see family, my travel mate is a cheapskate since it's his turn to pay
                                for our travels...it has warmed up some so I can get outside for awhile today and enjoy the sunshine with no wind.
                                may even do some BBQ'n...
                                Where are you planning on going in OK? do you know about the Corp of Engineers parks, of which there are good number
                                in OK. rates are pretty reasonable if one has the Federal Access or Senior Pass (America the Beautiful ?)

Comment

Working...
                                X