Looking for very private sites that can accomadate 27ft travel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for very private sites that can accomadate 27ft travel trailer

(please note I crossposted this from another thread at the advice of the moderator there)
    I think I am looking for something that is rather hard to find - hoping there might be some undiscovered places out there.

We have camped in a pop-up for years but have recently decided to upgrade to a 27ft travel trailer. The problem though is that we don't like RV parks. We like campsites that offer spacious private sites not something that feels like a parking lot or a lawn of campers. We go camping to really enjoy the outdoors, not for activities, so the activities that RV parks offer aren't necessary either.

We really enjoy the sites at the Cain Hollow Campground in Allegany (NY), and enjoy Hamlin Beach as well. But are looking to find other campgrounds with a similar feel (very wooded sites with a good privacy buffer between the sites). My husband also strongly prefers electric. (I wish he didn't because I see lots of non-electric campgrounds that look great, but I haven't had much luck changing his mind!) We also like sites that are quiet, not a bunch of people playing radios, etc.

Anyone have any campgrounds they might suggest in New York, New England, Pennsylvania or surrounding states?

Re: Looking for very private sites that can accomadate 27ft travel trailer

Try the Saco River Camping Area in North Conway, New Hampshire. They got sites with pull throughs and back ins with full hookups. Try getting one of the Riverfront sites if you can. The last time we stayed here, we were given site #56, which was not only by the river but also the hiking trails.

Comment

Originally posted by garden_frog View Post
      (please note I crossposted this from another thread at the advice of the moderator there)
      I think I am looking for something that is rather hard to find - hoping there might be some undiscovered places out there.

We have camped in a pop-up for years but have recently decided to upgrade to a 27ft travel trailer. The problem though is that we don't like RV parks. We like campsites that offer spacious private sites not something that feels like a parking lot or a lawn of campers. We go camping to really enjoy the outdoors, not for activities, so the activities that RV parks offer aren't necessary either.

We really enjoy the sites at the Cain Hollow Campground in Allegany (NY), and enjoy Hamlin Beach as well. But are looking to find other campgrounds with a similar feel (very wooded sites with a good privacy buffer between the sites). My husband also strongly prefers electric. (I wish he didn't because I see lots of non-electric campgrounds that look great, but I haven't had much luck changing his mind!) We also like sites that are quiet, not a bunch of people playing radios, etc.

Anyone have any campgrounds they might suggest in New York, New England, Pennsylvania or surrounding states?
      It sounds like what you might be looking for is to be the only RV in a tent campground where you don't have to look at other RV's.

Here is a thought - why not rent or lease some land where you can bring your RV? Crazy as it sounds, land is cheap to rent. Pick the location where you want to go. Get the local PLAT map (online), and use google maps to see what the environment looks like (wooded, or developed, etc) and call the owners. See if they will rent space to you for a week or so. You might be able to find some cool spots at the end of a dirt road beside a river, lake, etc. Look for roads that go to abandoned shacks in pretty locations, etc.

After all, the big advantage of RV's is that you carry everything you need with you. In fact, you don't really need a campground at all.
      Last edited by Mike; 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

If you ever get to Michigan like the U.P. area a lot of sites are nice.

Comment

Try the weeds out in your local National Forest.

Comment

Working...
          X