Tent Fans & Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent Fans & Lights

When the AC failed at work one day I used an 8 AH SLA battery and a computer fan. kept me reasonably cool for several days, I expect that they could be used for camping.

I have also seen a bucket swamp cooler work in the desert (as long as the water held out) similar to this;
    https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewto...842&start=2670

We live an usually camp in a low humidity environment so an occasional hot summer jolly is the old spry bottle mister.

We tried pump up misters from a discount store and they too work fairly well .. in low humidity environments.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I don't camp in hot hot weather. I try to do warm weather camping up in the mountains where I'm sure to get a good evening/night breeze to cool things down. A simple O2 12v fan helps move the air around inside the clipper if needed - but I can usually get a good cross breeze with just the windows.

For lighting, my current go-to is the Bell & Howell lantern: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-Br...Howell+lantern and for moving around, I use the Bell & Howell torch light: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-To...Howell+lantern

The lantern is really nice and bright and you can have 2 or 4 sides lit. It has handles that can be used to hang it. The torch light has been theft-worthy (used them for a Halloween party and had to watch folks like a hawk). The side light is very bright and the magnetic base, hanger, and the swivel action are nicely built and sturdy - you can angle it in any position and it will stay there. The flashlight portion is much dimmer, but enough to guide you on a trail without blinding anyone.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The Ozark trail fan from Walmart is a rebadged o2 cool fan. The only thing they rebadged was the box! I believe it is at least $10 less.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakxj View Post
          The Ozark trail fan from Walmart is a rebadged o2 cool fan. The only thing they rebadged was the box! I believe it is at least $10 less.
          That's good to know when my "I love it good" O2 dies.

Existing O2 has been used well for close to a decade but it's predecessor, a Coleman fan light's frame cracked which compromised the switch mechanism about 2 years ago and I added it to the trash pile regretfully.

I accept that my skill set doesn't include most electrical repairs and either trash stuff or give it to an electrician to repair if the cost makes it worthy.
          I do turn my brain on for projects like replacing the motherboard of my stove though since that's worth my time.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-03-2016, 09:29 PM.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            I have also seen a bucket swamp cooler work in the desert (as long as the water held out) similar to this;
            https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewto...842&start=2670
            I'm almost sorry you put up that link. Almost...
            It's not like I don't already have a dozen projects rattling around in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Duplicate that project for me and I'll make ya a 3" thick Eisenhower steak on the barbie......with roasted veggies.
              Really.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                Duplicate that project for me and I'll make ya a 3" thick Eisenhower steak on the barbie......with roasted veggies.
                Really.
                Well... I'm already looking for alternatives to the pump and the fan they suggested and I'm not sure why. I don't even like summer camping anymore. BUT - if I ever do decide to put one together, I'll be sure to hit you up to talk about that steak.

Edit: Wow! To do this right, with durable components, it would cost around $100. $45 pump, $25 fan, $20 for the pads, tubing, pipe, bucket... Yeah - definitely not a priority.
                Last edited by MacGyver; 04-04-2016, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

Well it came up...
                  My biggest concern with a swamp cooler for use in the desert is the water it consumes; often rare and or less than clean in the desert, but it would probably be practical along some rivers or lake Powel for example..
                  We normally save the water for drinking (more than a gallon per day per person is not uncommon).
                  Mostly in the desert a bit of shade (tarp/canopy) suffices since it often cools off when the sun goes down.

You know you have been out too long when you become the same color as the desert...

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-04-2016, 07:10 AM.
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                    My biggest concern with a swamp cooler for use in the desert is the water it consumes...
                    Yeah - I thought about the water usage, too. It would be a definite no-go if I didn't always camp near an easy source for water. I figure I'll put one together one day "just because I can" and so I can see how useful it really is.

Comment

Working...
                    X