DIY sprayer/camp shower (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY sprayer/camp shower (pic heavy)

So, how is the pressure on that thing. Can you pump it and you're good to go? Or do you have to pump it a few times in-between your "shower" to maintain pressure?

Awesome idea, the wife will be pleased.

Comment

you have topump it up as you go. When you pump it up, you add pressure to the bottle. When you use the water you take away the pressure.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Simple and easy solution other than the ones mention 5 gal Bucket and a cup or large label. 1 scoop of water soap down and scrub then rinse. Not to good if hiking but should work others. This how I use to shower while living in the Philippines so I can have a warm shower. Other wise been a cold shower

Comment

Awesome what a great way to shower when camping thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by fable View Post
            So, how is the pressure on that thing. Can you pump it and you're good to go? Or do you have to pump it a few times in-between your "shower" to maintain pressure?

Awesome idea, the wife will be pleased.
            You will hardly have to pump it at all once pressurized...wait a minute, that's magic! :rolleyes: No, as the water is transferred out of the container, a "backpressure" is created in its absence, thus, removing little of the pumped pressure load... :cool:
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

This thread inspired me to assemble a "remote shower". The sink spray nozzle and longer hose really make this a keeper for us. Works perfectly for our needs. FYI, morning showers with this high in the mountains are cold, no matter how black you paint them ...So plan on washing up at days end. This started as a 3 gal sprayer from Home Depot...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by JimSuz; 08-01-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ glad it helped you. I think I stated that I warm a gallon of water on the stove and add a gallon of outdoor temp water to make 2 gallons. I know what you mean about elevation, I usually camp above 9,000'

Comment

I might have to see if I can get my hubby to make me one of these. We took a trip to the Tetons/Yellowstone last year, camping for a week in the campgrounds that have no showers or hookups. I had planned ahead, and gotten myself a little "shower tent" and a solar shower bag. The shower tent was great, but the solar bag was useless. We tried several days, different places, trying to get that thing to warm up, but by the time we were back from our running around at the end of the day, it was cold. Needless to say, I was rather crabby and disappointed by it. In the end, we ended up boiling water to add to it one night (probably not the best idea to be putting boiling water in the soft plastic solar shower, but mixing with the cold water that was in there it worked okay, although it's not really anything I want to do on a regular basis. I had been considering one of those propane "instant shower" things, but the price is a bit steep. Then I saw this. I see a few things I like about your contraption: Adding the water to the sprayer is probably easier and safer than what we were doing. The long hose that allows the sprayer to stay sitting on the ground would be easier than trying to hang a bag of water in my shower tent. I assume we could actually have the sprayer sitting outside the shower tent if we got a long enough hose to go in through the zipper of the shower tent? Also, with the nozzle, can the water be turned all the way off while scrubbing? Or does it depend on what nozzle we get? The extra space may be a drawback - with five of us and two dogs we pack pretty heavy. But a hot shower may be worth leaving something else at home! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

The weed sprayer sits on the floor of the shower enclosure. The only thing you have to worry about hanging up is the sprayer nozzle. I keep the container in the enclosure with me, because you have to pump it up a couple of times during your shower. Unless your hubby is willing to stand outside and do the pumping for you, then you need it inside.
                    The sprayer nozzle works the same as your standard sink sprayer in your house. When you squeeze the lever, then that is when the water flows. Its not like the nozzle in your shower, that constantly flows. You could use a regular shower sprayer, but I think it would be bad, as you would loose pressure to quickly.
                    I tried a solar shower and didn't like the results either, and like you said the Coleman water system was kind of expensive. One other thing I would recommend is a Sawyer All-in-one water filter. If you are near a lake, stream, or other source of questionable water. That will filter your water, so it will be safe to shower in (and drink as well). If you are going to have multiple people showering, then it would be worth it, not to pack extra water.
                    But you are right, it feels great to have a shower, and get all the "grit" off of you after a couple of days. Let us know what you decide.

Comment

I think the nozzle that turns on and off, like you are talking about, is the only way to go when camp showering. Otherwise you use too much water. My husband looked at it and thinks it seems a little big to carry around. We are contemplating a small motor with a hose and nozzle, where the intake hose could be used with a "water holding item" that we already have with us - either a large stock pot, or one of our existing water jugs. I'll post again if we actually get it working. We found a motor online that may work for under $40.
                      A lot of the places we camp have a water nozzle in the campground, but the filter sounds like a great idea. We had a smaller one we used before kids for Boundary Water trips. Great not to have to carry water!!

Comment

Gave ours a real test over a 3 day 2 night mountain camping trip. Is it just like home? No. Does it work? Yes. Does it feel great before bedding down at night? OOOhhh yeah!
                        Just keep it in the sun and use it before dark. It will be on our next trip in September.

Comment

Wonder if anyone's thought of combining this idea of painting black to warm in the sun with the idea of a solar oven, maybe create a giant bag out of oven bags to put around the thing and I guess blow up a little for air around it and close at the top, then put some reflective material like those windshield shade thingies around it to reflect more sun on it--of course would want to monitor it and not leave it so long you melt the thing, but I would imagine that would get your warm shower going in less than an hour, even in cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastie View Post
                            Simple and easy solution other than the ones mention 5 gal Bucket and a cup or large label. 1 scoop of water soap down and scrub then rinse. Not to good if hiking but should work others. This how I use to shower while living in the Philippines so I can have a warm shower. Other wise been a cold shower
                            My wife is the from the Philippines and that is how she showered when we traveled there this winter. I chose the easy route and used the cold water shower-did not matter to me when the coolest it ever got was 80 degrees.

However, for camping, I think a DIY weed sprayer shower is more efficient. It will use less water and you can spray in areas that are hard to get with a buck or tabo.
                            Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                            sigpic

Comment

Put down another vote for the ladle method. Years ago, I found a single burner "crab cooker" type stove that folds flat. Hooked to an 11# propane can with a stock pot full of water and I'm good to go for an extended weekend. Hot water in just a few minutes. Hand washing, hobo shower and dishes all get done in no time.

Comment

I made a camping shower sprayer with a 1 gallon weed sprayer. It was easy and cost about $25 total. The biggest problem that we had with the unit is that it easily tips over. I believe these things are made to be carried rather than set on the ground.

We found several campgrounds that offered paid hot showers. These campground also had free hot water. Bet you can guess how I took free showers! The stalls were nice to use with my weed sprayer shower.
                                Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X