DIY sprayer/camp shower (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY sprayer/camp shower (pic heavy)

Free hot water for a shower. That's a great idea. I will have to remember that next time I am in a campground.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

With camping fees of $25 or more, I do what I can to save money.
      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
        Cool to consider, but a lot more complicated (and expensive) than a 2.5 gallon SolarShower.

I built this same shower but I used a 3 gal spray bottle. It really is awesome. I have a 1-person tent shelter we use as a shower enclosure, but this enclosure would not support a heavy hanging bag of water at all. This pump shower is PHENOMINAL!

Comment

I built the DIY weed sprayer camping shower in 2013 and really like it. We used it for washing dishes more than hot showers. Many campground have hot water in the bathroom and charge for a hot shower. I filled our weed sprayer with hot water and used it in the pay shower.

I made a quick Youtube video on how to put together the unit. It works good. However, the quality of the weed sprayers are not that good. There is so much junk that is imported!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9eBK6xM9ok
          Last edited by markkee; 08-16-2015, 10:25 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

They're seriously high dollar, but if you want one that will last forever, look at the B&G stainless sprayers. Stainless can with brass interior components. As an exterminator, I use them daily. Even though every part is readily replaceable, the only part I've needed to swap out is the handle because they don't fare well if allowed to freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              They're seriously high dollar, but if you want one that will last forever, look at the B&G stainless sprayers. Stainless can with brass interior components. As an exterminator, I use them daily. Even though every part is readily replaceable, the only part I've needed to swap out is the handle because they don't fare well if allowed to freeze.
              Mac, thanks for the tip on a high quality sprayer. I plan on using my sprayer until I leave planet Earth. Amazon sells them for around $300. I will start looking for a mid range priced sprayer.
              sigpic

Comment

That's a good method, Markkee. But where we camp in the high Sierras, and in the back country, there's no hot water. My SolaShower works pretty good after several hours, even in deer season, even at over 5000 foot altitude. I have no idea why other users in above posts don't experience the same success, but...YMMV I guess.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If your going to spend $300 on a sprayer, wouldn't a zodi shower work better?

Comment

Having just returned from camping in Acadia NP (where showers are not provided) I can agree with the two previous posts...the solar showers work as well as the Zodi Extreme (the one that uses a pump sprayer and stainless steel tank). We'd set our solar showers in the sun on a rock next to our campsite and when we returned from the afternoon's hiking the water was almost too hot. If we waited and took our shower after dinner (with the solar bags having sat in the shade for a couple hours or so), the water was still comfortably warm. On cloudy days I used the Zodi which likewise made for a comfortable shower (just not as much water as our 3 solar bags :-) ). Combined with our Texsport shower tent, we were literally (based on the many who stopped by to check out our system) the envy of the other campers.
                    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      If you're going to spend $300 on a sprayer, wouldn't a zodi shower work better?
                      I've seen way too many reviews that mention leaks, poor overall performance and breaking after a few uses to trust the Zodi showers. As a bit of a side story, I'm not too thrilled with Zodi anyway. About 3-4 years ago, I sent them an email asking when they were going to bring back their Hot Vent tent heater and was told "in the Spring". It didn't happen. So I sent another email the end of that Summer. Same response - "in the Spring". My third email the following year curtly told them something to the effect of, "take the damn thing off your website if you're not going to sell it again".

All that to say, they wouldn't get my money even if their showers were rock solid. The B&G sprayer would probably only get damaged if someone ran it over with a truck. They're as bulletproof a product as I've ever seen. I like a company with integrity and I don't mind paying more for their products.
                      Last edited by MacGyver; 08-19-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Coleman Hot Water On Demand is another option, with mixed reviews. At 25 lbs. 5 oz., it was just too heavy of an appliance for us. The SolaShower is a lightweight alternative that is surprisingly well-made. Our '88 model still is water tight, just soak it with a weak bleach solution after you get home to keep it clean.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I managed to "acquire" a brand new concrete form sprayer this winter. Plan on making it into a shower as well. I figure I can heat it over a fire or my camp chef stove. Should be the end all for shower sprayers.
                          http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-Industr...ncrete+sprayer

Comment

I managed to "acquire" a brand new concrete form sprayer this winter. Plan on making it into a shower as well. I figure I can heat it over a fire or my camp chef stove. Should be the end all for shower sprayers.
                            http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-Industr...ncrete+sprayer
                            I know the price was right, but if you're going to put that over a flame, I would be worried about the paint on that can. Chapin does make plain stainless sprayers - and not quite as expensive as the B&Gs.

Comment

that's a good point. Maybe I will take off the plastic off and burn it in a fire first.

Comment

If your going to spend $300 on a sprayer, wouldn't a zodi shower work better?
                                I don't plan on spending $300. I hope to find a decent $100 stainless steel sprayer.

The problem we are experiencing in the US is a plethora of cheap imported products that are so substandard. There was an old saying when we were kids about Japanese products. Now Japanese manufacture some of the best products on the planet. It does not appear that other countries are following the Japanese lead.

Amazon sells a lot of inexpensive imported products. After reading reviews, it's hard to find something simple like decent weed sprayer.

There are lots of great reviews. It's the negative reviews that stop me from buying a Zodi.

Look at the review for Zodi:

2it's great. However
                                ByBrittneyon August 12, 2015
                                Verified Purchase

I should have given this a 1 star but gave it two because when the product works, it's great. However; about 3 weeks after I purchased the first one it quit working. I bought a second one thinking maybe it was just a flaw. I received this one and it's missing half of the battery connector to even power the product! This is ridiculous! I shouldn't have to worry about receiving uncompleted items from any company, this is what they have quality managers for. I attempted to call the company as stated in the instructions instead of returning the item, nobody answered my call. I left a message for them. They have an audio clip you can listen to, but this is only for the propeller on the pump. So this leads me to believe that they know they have flawed product and don't find a way to fix it. Very disappointing!

Verified Purchase
                                The ZODI Battery Powered Shower was originally sold as part of the propane powered ZODI Camp Shower. I've been dealing with this battery pack/pump/hose assembly for over 4 years now in conjunction with a ZODI Camp Shower. It has more failure modes than Carter has little pills. When I pulled it out of the storage case on a camping trip this past weekend, the water impeller would not turn (it was working fine when I last put it away in May and I carefully blew all the water out of the lines and pump head). While I gently rapped the impeller head on a hard surface to try to jar it loose, the plastic nipple that connects the hose to the pump sheared off separating hose from pump (no I didn't rap the nipple, it's on the other end of things). After I sprayed WD-40 through the impeller's protective filter screen and rapped some more, the impeller finally began turning. The WD-40 residue formed a Deepwater Horizon-worthy slick on the water in my shower reservoir tank. I did manage to jam the hose far enough onto the stubby remains of the pump nipple to obtain a hot shower before it came loose again.

Other issues include the clasp that holds the hinged, spring-loaded top of the battery case closed against the body of the case. It rotates open and closed on two short, little plastic pins. After a couple of open/close cycles, the pins on mine quickly wore out. Now, to keep the case closed (crucial if the batteries are going to make contact) I have to hold the case with one hand and try to snap the latch in place as a loose clip with the other. I expect eventually I will have to apply duct tape to hold the case closed. If you use this pump with the ZODI Camp Shower it was originally designed for, you can count on the light plastic water hose to burn through and separate from the propane heater's copper tubing at the worst possible moment and leave you high, dry, and shower free. The slightest miscalculation with water or fire and P-s-s-s-t! the hose is gone. I long ago replaced my hoses with heat-resistant automotive tubing.

The propane powered ZODI Camp Shower with its pump and battery box is a great idea. It's just poorly executed with flimsy materials that do not hold up in field conditions. The fact that the pump and battery pack assembly is now available as a separate product (Battery Powered Shower) is testimony to the number of times you will have to replace it if you own and use the Camp Shower.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X