DIY sprayer/camp shower (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY sprayer/camp shower (pic heavy)

Well, I have heard about the weed sprayer camp shower, and I finally got around for building one. Lucky for Camping Forum members, I took detailed pictures and notes. I just tested this shower out tonight, at the house. It kicked butt!!!! I am 6'2" 240 pounds. One key feature is that I am bald, so I didn't have hair to wash. I used a 2 gallon weed sprayer (new, of course) I put in 1 gallon of tap and boiled 1 gallon of water (in 2- 8 cup camp coffee pot). I had plenty of water left over, so it is a success in my book. I will try it on my daughter (who has long hair) soon and I will try to get the wife to try it before the next trip.

Step 1. A trip to the local hardware store for parts.
    1)A 2 gallon weed sprayer. Make sure to use a new one, you don't want old chemical residue on you.
    2)A sink sprayer replacement kit. Make sure to get one with a hose.
    3)A 1/2 inch brass pipe cap
    4) 1/4 inch hose clamps.
    5) some pipe tape.
    Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM. Reason: fix mistakes
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: DIY sprayer/camp shower (pic heavy)

Step 2) is to cut the original nozzle of the sprayer.

Step 3) is to inset the 1/4 inch brass pipe cap into the cut end of the sprayer hose and secure with a 1/4" pipe clamp.

Step 4) is to attach the sink sprayer hose to the brass pipe cap. I used pipe tape on all the connections.

Here is a picture of the completed camp shower. The hose is taller than me, so that is really helpful.

Hope this helps someone. Total cost of this project was $40.

Comment

You could also wrap it in foil to keep it warm for later use.

Comment

Looks like a winner for a tent camper, could be set in the sun in the morning for a hot shower that night

Comment

It is pretty good. We used it for 3 showers last trip. About 2 gallons per shower. I boiled water, wife just set hers in the sun. Defiantly feels nice bing clean in the middle of a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bob 66 View Post
            Looks like a winner for a tent camper, could be set in the sun in the morning for a hot shower that night
            Cool to consider, but a lot more complicated (and expensive) than a 2.5 gallon SolarShower.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

spray painting it black to absorb the heat of the sun would work I think...maybe wrap one of those emergency blankets
              around it also...

Comment

I like it!! I'm all about gadgets. Yea solar shower is nice but you came up with this idea on your own!! Good job I may have to try this.

Comment

06kingsquad700, have you tried one of those "heat in the sun" bag showers? How does this new rig compare to that? What if you used one of those rigs and filled it with hot water and then gravity feed the shower? I think those are two to five gallon capacity.

I am just wondering because the insecticide sprayer is bulkier than the bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    06kingsquad700, have you tried one of those "heat in the sun" bag showers? How does this new rig compare to that? What if you used one of those rigs and filled it with hot water and then gravity feed the shower? I think those are two to five gallon capacity.

I am just wondering because the insecticide sprayer is bulkier than the bags.
                    I have tried the solar showers and didn't care for them. My favorite camp spot is in the shade, so that doesn't help. I tried the "lay it on the hood of a car" trick and it didnt work either. Another drawback was the fact that there was no where to hang it in my shower enclosure, & I don't think anyone would enjoy seeing my bare tushie either. I thought of buying a countinous hot water heater from Coleman, but price ($200) was way more than I wanted to spend. Plus I didn't want to waste all my water on showers. Yes they are bulkier than the solar showers, but I car camp, so its not that much more room. The solar showers lay flat when empty, the weed sprayer does not. That being said, we are sticking with the weedsprayer set up.
                    The wife likes to have clean hair, so....Happy wife, Happy Life, and her on more camping trips.

BTW, in the summer we will hop into a rocky mountain stream to get the dirt off!!!!

Comment

I like this better than the shower bag because you can leave the reservoir on the ground rather than hanging it. I think the hard shell plastic will be more durable than the bags that can be punctured. I have been looking to build one of these. excellent photos!
                      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey, thanks for the tip on the sprayer. I am concerned about real estate space in my van. We sometimes sleep inside the van. I like the idea of the small pump.

Mark
                        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
                          I like this better than the shower bag because you can leave the reservoir on the ground rather than hanging it. I think the hard shell plastic will be more durable than the bags that can be punctured. I have been looking to build one of these. excellent photos!
                          If you build one like mine and need help, post up or send a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
                            Out in the treeless desert in winater we simply lay the shower bag on top of the roof of the vehicle, sit on the Roll-A-Stool and open the valve! Our shower bag has got to be at least 20 years old, and other than throroughly drying it out and soaking it with a bleach solution every year, no holes, problems, leaks, rips or tears. The sprayer tank is a cool idea, but holds a lot less water and takes up (for us) valuable space in the vehicle. It also doesn't provide a one-touch water supply over the Nalgene sink tub for washing dishes, hands, etc...But I still like it as a DIY-project!!!
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

This is a very neat idea. My friend actually owns the Coleman Portable Water Heater and we've been showering with this thing for the past 2 camping trips. Not bad, but the hose that's made for this is so stiff and not long enough and since it's so big, I can't exactly pick it up easily and maneuver it the way I want. But this is such a great and cheaper alternative way to get clean. And lighter too. Thanks for the tutorial! I might give this a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X