Ice Chest/Cooler Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ice Chest/Cooler Thread

Double bagging. Make sure to store food in storage bags as well. If you use butter that comes in paper and foil wrap, water will seep in. The plastic egg containers are well worth the money. Anything that is not in a leak proof container goes in a plastic bag.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      For your specific needs (thanks for giving 'em; makes life easier) I think a soft sided cooler will serve your needs better for beverages and can fit in the foot well of the front or back passenger. I might even put all bevs in the food cooler whilst travelling and throw a bag of ice in the soft sided unit to keep it cold, place it at the foot well of the front passenger or empty back seat and then fill it with drinking liquids at the campsite.

For a food container.....you can probably survive nicely with the 36 qt Coleman Poly Lite Extreme. It should fit in your trunk with ease or on the back seat. I think it's currently going for about 50.00 though you might find it on sale for less. Here it is at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/687914/co...e-cooler-36-qt
      I have not used the Poly Lite Extreme but the reviews mirror that of the rest of the Coleman Extreme series.

HTH and have fun out there!

ETA: if you've one "lying around" a plastic cutting board makes a wonderful divider for your cooler. I've one from IKEA (came in a pack of 3) that perfectly fits the width of my cooler. For shorter trips and/or just the two of us, I only use 2 coolers (to be honest I could survive nicely with one but but thenn I'd be like kingquad making remarks to a someone who is substantially older than 16 about closing the demned cooler :D) and dividing the space between freezer and fridge goods makes the cooler more organised. Oh but err don't bother thinking the cutting board can multi-task as well a cutting board. Nope. Leave it in place.....and don't ask how I know this, LOL.
      Thank you for the info. I visited REI tonight and purchased the Coleman Extreme 36Qt. The reviews of this item describe the length of time ice lasts -- that sold me! This cooler is unique as the sides / walls are very thick (insulation). The exterior gives the impression of a large cooler -- but once you open the lid you find that the inside is much smaller -- but still 36Qts. I am personally OK with the size of the interior but it's the size of the exterior which concerns me as I have such limited space in my midsize car. I guess that I will start reducing some of my equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by moxiefox View Post
        Thank you for the info. I visited REI tonight and purchased the Coleman Extreme 36Qt. The reviews of this item describe the length of time ice lasts -- that sold me! This cooler is unique as the sides / walls are very thick (insulation). The exterior gives the impression of a large cooler -- but once you open the lid you find that the inside is much smaller -- but still 36Qts. I am personally OK with the size of the interior but it's the size of the exterior which concerns me as I have such limited space in my midsize car. I guess that I will start reducing some of my equipment.
        Let me know how you like it!

Comment

Yeti Coolers

Pricey, but works. They are also certified bear resistant. I've also seen pictures of one thats caught on fire, the beer and the ice stayed untouched.

Comment

:cool:Just pick a quality hard-walled cooler with a bottom drain and open it once in a while to let the meltwater out. Your cooler's innards will keep cooler longer if you do. Don't ask me why I know that, it's how I pay the bills!:cool:
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
              Looks good to me, depending on how long one will be camping. After three to five days, ice may have to be replaced.

BTW: Here a link to the same question asked last year. It's always good to bring your question to light, there may be a new and better product(s) on the market, etc. The link is is just food for thought to this endless debate. Thanks for posting up your concerns.
              http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...your-food-cold
              I have never been able to get ice to last three to five days - except maybe in the winter, of course, when it is below freezing.

I remember my dad used to buy blocks of ice and put them in the galvanized steel ice tray of our Volkswagen cooler. That would gradually melt, of course, but it seemed to last a couple of days. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by savage99ss View Post
                Some good suggestions and tips so far!! I read on the other thread that renodesertfox posted, freezing ice in glad loc bags, the big bags and laying them in the freezer will make a great flat piece of ice. Im planning on making a few and putting the solid pieces in the bottom of the cooler, almost like a layer.
                I was always taught to put the ice on top, ice cold air settles and warm air rises.

Comment

Before I load my cooler with ice I freeze 5-10 clean milk jugs of water(I have a deep freezer). Pre cooling also helps. You can leave the ice in the jug or cut it off. Don't have scientific proof but it seems to prolong the ice. I have two Coleman Xtreme coolers and this works pretty good here in North Carolina summers. If you are looking for real cooling google coolers and look at some of the high quality marine coolers for sale. They are not cheap but keep ice for a week or more. Keep your cooler in the shade as much as possible and limit your access cycles. :cool::cool:

Comment

The coleman stainless steel looks nice but itsn't the most durable. If you have money get a Yeti or Pelican. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, get a Igloo MaxCold. It might help to reviews some more reviews about coolers here: best ice chest reviews

Comment

Choosing a camping cooler depends on how long you will camp and the amount of food / water you want to put in.
                      My favorite is "RTIC Cooler (RTIC 45 Tan)" for each camping trip with the family on the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                        What works best for me is to pre-cool items (or freeze). Not just buy a 12 pack from the store, dump it in the cooler, add ice and expect the ice to last for 5 days. I use 2 different coolers, one for drinks and one for food items. I make sure both coolers are stored out of the sun, and try to keep opening and shutting them to a minimum.
                        +1

Comment

I have a Grizzly 60 that I used for the first time and was real happy with it. One thing I did learn is not to buy one bigger then you need. I was going to get the 40qt but the 60qt was only $25.00 more so I got it, talk about heavy when full. So I will most likely get the 40qt and sell the 60.

Comment

I'm thinking about picking up a roto cooler from walmart, anyone have any experience with them?
                            Last edited by Camp_Cook; 01-22-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I had been using the Coleman Stainless Steel one. Id did fine, until I started spending time away from an Ice source for several days. So I bit the bullet and got a Yeti, for food and moved the Coleman to my drink cooler in the Jeep, and the Yeti in the Teardrop. This keeps me from opening the Yeti more then necessary. While the Yeti was expensive I have had it 2 full seasons and last summer bought a second one. The Coleman has been retired. I do freeze my own ice in old cereal tupperware containers. They are a perfect size. I do also pre chill with jugs of Ice before leaving home. I good block of ice will last 3-5 days in the summer. I figure I will never need to buy any more coolers the rest of my life.

Comment

Lately, my cooler has been a Styrofoam minnow pail. Holds a six-pack, plus some food. I have other coolers, but this is the one that seems to consistently make the cut. No ice needed.
                                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                                X