Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coffee Maker

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
    I don't have my own (YET) but definitely like the Peculator type coffee makers for camping. A guy brings one to my son's scout campouts and it works like a charm... It was always fun to watch at my grand-parents growing up as well.... fond memories of the 'old' percolators...

So once you see it peculating / bubbling that's when you take it off the heat? Looks like a fine line of how to make coffee with a peculator to have good coffee or to have bitter coffee....

My mom used to always have Taster choice instant coffee because it could be tossed in the car and easy for packing/travel and you just needed hot water... but truly aweful compared to some descent fresh ground coffee.
    Getting the timing will be the trick. You will get the hang of it as you use it. With the electric peculators, they stop boiling automatically. If you are using a percolator with flame heat, then it will be a bit more tricky.

One thing I can say is that somewhere along the way, somebody convinced folks to use paper filters with their percolators. This really is unnecessary. If you use pre-ground Folgers or others, the grind is just right. If you grind your own, set the grind for percolator and not any finer. This will keep the coffee dust from passing through the metal mesh filter.

Tasters Choice? Bleck. I am not a fancy pants man, but freeze dried coffee is so different from real coffee that instant should not be called coffee. Call it something else like "Hot 'n' Brown" or something, but not 'coffee'.

Comment

I picked up a Coleman camping drip coffee maker a few yars ago for $12.50. Makes great coffee. A bit bulky though.

Comment

Tried french pressed coffee this weekend. Pretty good....not sure the french press would last too long as opposed to the metal perculator.

Last edited by chuckdee; 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

perk
          basically boils the coffee through the grinds,
          as opposed to an espresso pot which boils it once, perc pots continuously boil the coffee through the grinds over and over,
          not the greatest of methods,
          when camping i just settle for instant, basically because am not carryinga coffee pot when hiking,
          i also sometimes use a homemade drip method, basically any paper, whether its a coffee filter or paper towel in something that acts as a funnel, and slowly drip boiling water over it, probably the best tasting method.

Comment

I personally love french press coffee when camping! It takes a tad longer: boiler water in a container. While the water is boiling, ground coffee beans with a hand operated coffee grinder. Then pour that ground coffee into a coffee thermas(we use stainless steel). Then once the water has reached boiling pour that water into the themas about 1/2 way, then stir. Then pour the rest of the boiling water into the thermas and let it steep for a good ten minutes or longer. Pour it into you coffee cup and you have a fine cup of camp coffee! The trick is to let it steep for a good ten to twelve minutes. Sure it's a little slower but the coffee is a good deal stronger. Not for the timid who are satisfied with perked! This coffee will force you into learning how to use a compazz! Or at least finding the quickest way to the potty! Give ya energy, makes you move! Makes camping fun!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

+2 for the Starbucks Instant Coffee - they've perfected the taste of instant coffee as this is far different than any "instant" coffee I've ever tasted. They go on every camping trip with us, and I toss a few in my kit bag for trips to 'Vegas or other journeys where I want a quick cup of great coffee. At home, even my wife has nearly given up on her "French Press" in favor of my 15-bar Cuisinart Espresso Machine. That's quite a compliment from someone who introduced me to Cafe Sua Da over twenty years ago - it's essentially what Starbuck's serves but through a VitaMix with add-ins for various versions. Asians have been drinking the stuff for who knows how long...
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                +2 for the Starbucks Instant Coffee - they've perfected the taste of instant coffee as this is far different than any "instant" coffee I've ever tasted. They go on every camping trip with us, and I toss a few in my kit bag for trips to 'Vegas or other journeys where I want a quick cup of great coffee. At home, even my wife has nearly given up on her "French Press" in favor of my 15-bar Cuisinart Espresso Machine. That's quite a compliment from someone who introduced me to Cafe Sua Da over twenty years ago - it's essentially what Starbuck's serves but through a VitaMix with add-ins for various versions. Asians have been drinking the stuff for who knows how long...
                I don't doubt that it's a fine cup of jo, but something about starbucks and camping just doesn't seem right to me. Should be Folgers, Maxwell House or something.

Last edited by chuckdee; 03-08-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

"...doubt that it's a fine cup of jo, but something about starbucks and camping just doesn't seem right to me. Should be Folgers, Maxwell House or something..."

Chuckdee, no can do. I gave up on 2nd-rate quality when I got married to my trophy wife 21-years-ago. Life is too short to miss the best things life has to offer...you may have to pay more or work harder to get it, but it's usually a lot better than its initial cost!
                  That said, I'm on board with whatever brand of coffee or hot dog or whatver floats your boat, I've just moved on from a personal level upgrading my motorcycles, women, gear, etc. :cool:
                  Last edited by tplife; 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                    "...doubt that it's a fine cup of jo, but something about starbucks and camping just doesn't seem right to me. Should be Folgers, Maxwell House or something..."

Chuckdee, no can do. I gave up on 2nd-rate quality when I got married to my trophy wife 21-years-ago. Life is too short to miss the best things life has to offer...you may have to pay more or work harder to get it, but it's usually a lot better than its initial cost!
                    That said, I'm on board with whatever brand of coffee or hot dog or whatver floats your boat, I've just moved on from a personal level upgrading my motorcycles, women, gear, etc. :cool:

lol at the upgrading of women.... Starbucks just tastes burnt to me. I make a mean cup of jo with the perk and it suits me fine but like you said, whatever floats your boat.

Comment

I bring a bag of freshly ground espresso from my favorite local coffee shop (and the mug) and my small stovetop espresso pot. I camp alone, so it makes the perfect amount to get my day started off right!

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp coffee.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	69666
                      Last edited by rose; 03-08-2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rose View Post
                        I bring a bag of freshly ground espresso from my favorite local coffee shop (and the mug) and my small stovetop espresso pot. I camp alone, so it makes the perfect amount to get my day started off right!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3848[/ATTACH]
                        And I bring a tiny container of real, heavy cream.
                        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I bring half and half. But real, heavy cream sounds so much better

Comment

I bring some cream packets from the local gas station.

Comment

I'll admit it.
                              Last summer I brought the French press yet still found myself going to Dunkin Donuts. Stopped pouring the great unwashed into the car for a short bleary eyed ride and walked to the locale which is prolly..........30 minutes away from the campsite. Still unwashed when I arrived but my my the smell of that place just perked me right up before I even got a cup of joe or tea:lmao:

I think I call this the well deserved calm before the storm of wannabe teenage angst and younger grrlie early morn evil looks for what reason I've nooo idea.

One day I'll really rough it and suck up to the reality of pre caffeine fire.....
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                                One day I'll really rough it and suck up to the reality of pre caffeine fire.....
                                Buy a jetboil... hot water in 2 minutes = nearly instant coffee = happier campers

It's what we did after BOTH stoves we took with us to Yellowstone failed... trust me waiting for the fire to get going, and then waiting for water to boil over an open flame is not the way to do it.... especially when it's 33˚*outside!

Comment

Working...
                                X