Coffee Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coffee Maker

Amen! I thought instant coffee was outlawed.

I use a camping press pot, and love it. But for a quickie mug I use a couple Folgers single-serve bags. They do make a good cup of coffee. Better than their brewed coffee.

Gus

Comment

Originally posted by steps View Post
      My coffee maker crashed last camping trip so I am in the market for a new one. I was thinking of purchasing a thermal pot coffee maker. Is there a brand that you would recommend and why? Thanks!
      Forget all that Foo Foo coffee maker stuff, Man! For camping, save the weight and the hassle of lugging coffee gear with you. Make Cowboy coffee.

Here is how:
      Measure water and bring to a boil.
      Add One level tablespoon coffee per 8 ounces of water directly to the boiling water.
      Let the water just start to boil again for about 30 seconds and remove from heat.
      Stir with a metal spoon
      Allow to cool for about five minutes.
      Sprinkle three tablespoons cold water on the top of the coffee and wait about two more minutes. This will pull the coffee grounds down to the bottom of the pot

If you do it right. the coffee grounds will all be at the bottom of the pot. IF not, try re-boiling the coffee for about 30 seconds and repeat the process. I suppose you could use a small hand filter, but I never had to do that.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gadabout View Post
        I was going to start a new thread but then I saw this and thought I would jump on here. My wife and I went camping last week after about a 10 year absence. In the past I would have used Taster Choice but nowadays we find it hard to give up the real thing. I have a camp coffee percolator that I bought once but never used. I thought I would give it a try on this trip and was pleasantly surprised.

First off, I didn't even know how to use it, LOL. The last time I had perc'ed coffee, my mother made it. But I gave it a shot anyway. I filled it with water, put an eyeballed amount of coffee grounds in the holder then set it on my Coleman stove to boil. After it started percolating, I wasn't sure about what to do next. Do I stop it at this point or let it perc for awhile? I decided to let it perc for 3 or 4 minutes then took it off the heat. I poured a cup and found it to be terrific. I then poured some for my wife and she said it was the best coffee she'd ever had. Go figure. It seems to be pretty easy to make perc'ed coffee. Someow Joe DiMaggio took us all for a ride way back when.
        Me too! I am from the drip coffee generation and later the home-espresso generation, but my folks made coffee in a shiny chrome steel percolator. I couldn't even imagine using such a crude method! Well, I visited my 85 year old church lady at her house for breakfast awhile back and she served me coffee from a shiny chrome percolator. It was delicious! Guess what - I made the switch to an old chromie. IMO it makes better coffee than drip or the other gadgets.

Comment

The primary reasons are that most home type drip machines simply do not get hot enough, and the coffee grounds don't 'steep' long enough. My parents (in their 70's) used a 'chromie' percolator for many years, til the glass knob on top broke. They tried the "Mr. Coffee" machines, but only got a year's use out of each one. They keep the machine going all day long and drink several cups each. They finally bought another percolator pot, and it's been going good for several years now.
          I had a Mr. Coffee last over fifteen years til it failed to heat, and I got a new smaller version - "Four cups" that barely do two of my mugs..... I only drink a couple cups a day.
          I plan to get a "Chromie" myself soon, for home use. Keep my single-popper Melitta for camping. :cool:
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Hey BigDog,

For not being a coffee snob, going the Melitta route is very interesting. I'm not a coffee snob either, but I used to run a coffee shop (funny. I know) and melitta was the best way to taste the coffee and flavors. Also it gives you the most caffeine bang for your buck. I may try that next time.

I usually stick with the percolater that i got from my bulk dining camping set. It kind of sucks if you forget to bring coffee filters, but paper towels worked very well (not my idea, but I wish it was).

- Timberline

Comment

I love coffee in my percolator. I use it at work everyday and take it with me when I car camp. Beats a drip maker in taste. I love the sound it makes too. Not only do I make coffee in it I make hot water for other things while camping. Just two weeks ago my wife brought me her great grandmother's 1930's percolator from her grandmother's house. I cleaned it up and had a pot going that night. Somewhat surprised it still worked.

Comment

When the 'crunch' comes and there's no power available (unless one has a genset or solar system), these old percolator pots will be worth their weight in gold....... ;-)

Comment

I use a coffee press i got at target for $12.99
                  Attached Files
                  Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

I'm a youngster at the age of 35 and I'm very curious of percolators. I've never seen one in action (unless I was young, and didn't care about coffee). I've asked my mom before of how they work, but I forget and she's not the best explain-er of things.

I'm happy with instant "powder" (not the coffee bags) coffee while camping, with just using some boiled water on my Coleman stove, but I'm pretty curious of using a percolator now after reading.

Can somebody explain how they work, and the pains and 'perks' of using one?

Thanks!

Comment

Wiki can be your friend......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_percolator

Pretty good write-up. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Mudder View Post
                        Can somebody explain how they work, and the pains and 'perks' of using one?
                        IMO there aren't any unless you like bitter coffee (boiling releases oils from the coffee grounds, and I've yet to have percolated coffee that wasn't just really really bad because it had been left to boil far too long). Some people prefer it, but I think it's an acquired taste to say the least.

I prefer using a french press - it's faster and easier, plus it's how I make coffee at home, so there's no guesswork involved while camping.. all you need is a source of hot water

Comment

Hee hee. Wow, coffee wars. I guess it is what you get used to. If you really like coffee, then it is worth it for you to try all kinds of coffee making - including perculators.

Mudder, if you enjoy powdered coffee then that is an excellent way to go for camping since it is lightweight and doesn't require any extra equipment. The other methods, of course, require some kind of hardware.

Comment

My last camping trip i used Starbucks Via instant coffee.. taste good
                            Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

I don't have my own (YET) but definitely like the Peculator type coffee makers for camping. A guy brings one to my son's scout campouts and it works like a charm... It was always fun to watch at my grand-parents growing up as well.... fond memories of the 'old' percolators...

So once you see it peculating / bubbling that's when you take it off the heat? Looks like a fine line of how to make coffee with a peculator to have good coffee or to have bitter coffee....

My mom used to always have Taster choice instant coffee because it could be tossed in the car and easy for packing/travel and you just needed hot water... but truly aweful compared to some descent fresh ground coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo7 View Post
                                Taster's Choice?

Talk about roughing it...

That's a whole 'nother level.

Haha. Yea, that's harsh. FWIW, I use an electric percolator.

Last edited by chuckdee; 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X