Coffee Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Maker

My coffee maker crashed last camping trip so I am in the market for a new one. I was thinking of purchasing a thermal pot coffee maker. Is there a brand that you would recommend and why? Thanks!
    DO NOT be found in a camping tents while being out. Just walk,run,fly in the hug of nature.:D

Re: Coffee Maker

i have a stovetop perculator type. lightweight and easy to use. sometimes i get a little grounds in the coffee but no biggie to me.

Comment

I used a mocha pot. Cheap, durable, three simple pieces.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I changed my mind and ordered the electric percolator. I am also considering buying a thermal carafe so I can make more than one pot if necessary. Thanks for all the comments/suggestions!
        DO NOT be found in a camping tents while being out. Just walk,run,fly in the hug of nature.:D

Comment

I know ya solved your problem, steps, yet feel like sharing:D.
          I have a Coleman coffeemaker and plan to sell it this winter. It works fine but takes up a lot of space and I still use a s/s thermos to store the hot beverages. I think I'm using up too much space and plan to switch to a French press.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	finumcoffeebrewer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	69519If anyone is interested in a super easy coffee maker that takes a lot of the hassles out of brewing coffee while on camping trips, I bought the Finum tea infuser from Amazon. It weighs only a few ounces and takes about 4 minutes to brew a cup. It's a stainless steel mesh tea infuser that sits deep inside your coffee mug. You can make single serving gourmet coffee. I am a coffee snob, so it's hard for me drink bad coffee. I have tried every possible type of coffee maker for camping trips and this little one is amazing. You can brew the coffee to your taste. It's inexpensive and does not require paper filters.
            Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
            sigpic

Comment

NYCgrrl, markkee, your advices seem useful. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I like my Melitta "Ready Set Joe" pour-over coffee maker. Got it locally at the Publix Grocery store. Uses a cone filter, you boil the water in a metal pan (I do enough to also use for morning grits or oatmeal), have the grounds in the top unit with filter, it sits atop the supplied ceramic coffee cup (or use your favorite camping mug). Pour the hot water on slowly, and let it pour through into the cup. Makes a fairly good cup o' Joe.
                I am not a coffee snob, so am reasonably easy to please with coffee. Gotta use decaf now though, as my Doctor wants me off caffiene - I hate having dietary restrictions...... Gotta use artificial sweetener too, as I am Type Two Diabetic now - gotta reduce sugar intake.

Melitta's website....
                http://www.melitta.com/dosanddontsofbrewing,175.html

Click on "Our Products" then "Pour Over Coffee Makers" to see the line I am talking about. They have just the top filter unit available for cheap, or the ritzy ceramic style for more. Also larger coffee makers than my one-cupper - better for family use.
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have to have my coffee in the mornings, but have not bought a coffee maker for camping yet. To me, it'd just be another thing to lug around, but someday I will get one. So far, I just use the Taster's Choice instant coffee. Simply heat some water in a pan, funnel it into my Stanley thermos or an insulated cup, add the instant coffee and sugar, shake or stir, and bang... caffeine! I've also been known to add the instant coffee to non-heated water too haha. The instant coffee sure does save some space. Working construction, I've been known to brew coffee at night and store it in my Stanley thermos overnight... it's still hot in the morning! Thought I'd put that out there for some more coffee ideas for camping. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Taster's Choice?

Talk about roughing it...

That's a whole 'nother level.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo7 View Post
                      Taster's Choice?

Talk about roughing it...

That's a whole 'nother level.

lol. You might be right but it works, and I'm the type who'll eat/drink almost anything, so no big deal to me

Comment

I was going to start a new thread but then I saw this and thought I would jump on here. My wife and I went camping last week after about a 10 year absence. In the past I would have used Taster Choice but nowadays we find it hard to give up the real thing. I have a camp coffee percolator that I bought once but never used. I thought I would give it a try on this trip and was pleasantly surprised.

First off, I didn't even know how to use it, LOL. The last time I had perc'ed coffee, my mother made it. But I gave it a shot anyway. I filled it with water, put an eyeballed amount of coffee grounds in the holder then set it on my Coleman stove to boil. After it started percolating, I wasn't sure about what to do next. Do I stop it at this point or let it perc for awhile? I decided to let it perc for 3 or 4 minutes then took it off the heat. I poured a cup and found it to be terrific. I then poured some for my wife and she said it was the best coffee she'd ever had. Go figure. It seems to be pretty easy to make perc'ed coffee. Someow Joe DiMaggio took us all for a ride way back when.

Comment

I received a camp coffee pot as a gift that had a percolater in it. I made one good pot with the percolater, then it never would make good coffee again for some reason. I tossed the percolator insert and just tried cowboy coffee. I dumped one tablespoon of coffee grouns per cup, with an extra for the last cup you dont drink. I simmer it for a few minutes, them set it aside for 5 minutes. Pour carefully so as not to disturb the grounds much, and enjoy. I never used egg shells or cold water as some suggest. First time I took the ex camping, she watched me make coffee and said she didn't want any. She caved after a bit, sort of holding her nose, but after the first drink, she said it was the best coffee she'd ever had. I toss the last drink in the cup, as it can have a very few grounds, and toss the last cup in the pot, as it has all the grounds.

Works on a stove or on a campfire.

Comment

MARKKEE: is the filter you show in your reply, big enough to make a pot full of coffee or is a single serve size only?

Comment

I'm with the poster who mentioned melitta. It's easy to use and you can get cones for more than one cup. Before you leave on a camp out,you can fine grind enough coffee for the trip and place it in a Baggie.

Campers who use an RV, can use other coffee makers including the one cup Keurig.

Comment

Working...
                              X