Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coffee Maker

Diet Dr. Pepper Caffeine Free.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Blasphemy!
      Yea
      Its sanka or nothing

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
        Yea
        Its sanka or nothing
        You guys probably drink light beer too

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3539[/ATTACH]If anyone is interested in a super easy coffee maker that takes a lot of the hassles out of brewing coffee while on camping trips, I bought the Finum tea infuser from Amazon. It weighs only a few ounces and takes about 4 minutes to brew a cup. It's a stainless steel mesh tea infuser that sits deep inside your coffee mug. You can make single serving gourmet coffee. I am a coffee snob, so it's hard for me drink bad coffee. I have tried every possible type of coffee maker for camping trips and this little one is amazing. You can brew the coffee to your taste. It's inexpensive and does not require paper filters.
          That is a wonderful idea, we do this at our house for tea, but never put two and two together to actually utilizes that for camping!

Now, on our past camping trips, we have been bringing our coleman stove top, and I just saw this on Amazon, and I am trying to justify buying this! It is a coffee maker that is heated by the stove! (http://www.coleman.com/product/campi...3#.VM0iGGTF9tK)
          Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
            I got hooked on the taste of French press coffee years ago because of the full bodied taste.
            Amen to that! My home drip maker has been collecting dust since I got my press. I have the smaller REI backpacker press that makes a nice double cup which just fills my extra large mug.

Comment

My Doc doesn't want me drinking caffeine. Other limitations on eating/drinking too. Diabetes and blood thinners will do that to ya. :-(
              No reason not to get out go camping though!
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

After years of trying to get all our hot beverage wants right I've settled on Starbuck's VIA Columbia and Decaf for the coffee lovers. Just boil a big ol pot of water and serve. I drank my usual brewed tea leaves and occasionally served instant hot chocolate to kiddos. All problems solved and lord am I happy!
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                  After years of trying to get all our hot beverage wants right I've settled on Starbuck's VIA Columbia and Decaf for the coffee lovers. Just boil a big ol pot of water and serve. I drank my usual brewed tea leaves and occasionally served instant hot chocolate to kiddos. All problems solved and lord am I happy!
                  You are not the first or last person that has come to the same conclusion. As anti Starbucks as I am, their Via coffee in my not so humble opinion tastes better than their brewed coffee. The quality of the Via is amazing. Backpackers swear by it!

I still bring my own whole beans on car camping trip and brew single cups with with a plastic cone and paper filters. I will start carrying Via as a back up supply or when I am too lazy to grind and brew.
                  Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess I'm going to have to break down and try the Via on my next trip. I've been shopping the whole percolator vs french press vs single cup brew gadgets for a while now since I am a MAJOR coffee drinker, like all day every day. I've been fudging through with the Folgers instant sticks, but they certainly don't taste great... like someone else said, they should just call it "hot and brown" and not coffee. I really don't like Starbucks coffee the few times I've had it from the shops, but sounds like the Via is a resounding winner for an instant option when camping.

Thanks for the heads up!
                    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                      I guess I'm going to have to break down and try the Via on my next trip. I've been shopping the whole percolator vs french press vs single cup brew gadgets for a while now since I am a MAJOR coffee drinker, like all day every day. I've been fudging through with the Folgers instant sticks, but they certainly don't taste great... like someone else said, they should just call it "hot and brown" and not coffee. I really don't like Starbucks coffee the few times I've had it from the shops, but sounds like the Via is a resounding winner for an instant option when camping.

Thanks for the heads up!
                      Hey Shortpants! I broke down and finally bought the Starbucks Via Columbian and took it on my campout last weekend to give it a try. Prior to that, I was bringing Tasters Choice instant Columbian. NO comparison. The Via, in my opinion, was very good. I liked it better than Starbucks brewed coffee (altho to be honest, I don't go to Starbucks very often because it kills me to spend that much $$$ on a plain, straight up, black, cup o' joe.)

Couple of things...the Via IS more expensive than either Tasters Choice or Folgers instant sticks (lol...I had a coupon and it was on sale when I bought it). You pay more and get less sticks per box with the Via. The Via, however, makes 8oz of coffee per stick whereas the TC makes only 6oz (not sure about Folgers).

TIP: I use the empty packet to stir my coffee after adding the hot water to my cup (no spoon needed!).

I've perked, french pressed, etc while camping....and the convenience of having pretty decent coffee (with no grounds to deal with) as soon as I have boiling water is a wonderful thing. I'm generally up first---sometimes more than an hour before anyone else---and will use my backpacking stove to boil my water. I end up having my first cup of coffee less than 2 minutes after waking up and starting the burner. I'm not sure how much more "instant" I could make it-lol. I love my morning "alone time" with my cup of coffee.

I'd definitely recommend giving Via a try...coming from a fellow coffee lover.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                        Hey Shortpants! I broke down and finally bought the Starbucks Via Columbian and took it on my campout last weekend to give it a try. Prior to that, I was bringing Tasters Choice instant Columbian. NO comparison. The Via, in my opinion, was very good. I liked it better than Starbucks brewed coffee (altho to be honest, I don't go to Starbucks very often because it kills me to spend that much $$$ on a plain, straight up, black, cup o' joe.)

Couple of things...the Via IS more expensive than either Tasters Choice or Folgers instant sticks (lol...I had a coupon and it was on sale when I bought it). You pay more and get less sticks per box with the Via. The Via, however, makes 8oz of coffee per stick whereas the TC makes only 6oz (not sure about Folgers).

TIP: I use the empty packet to stir my coffee after adding the hot water to my cup (no spoon needed!).

I've perked, french pressed, etc while camping....and the convenience of having pretty decent coffee (with no grounds to deal with) as soon as I have boiling water is a wonderful thing. I'm generally up first---sometimes more than an hour before anyone else---and will use my backpacking stove to boil my water. I end up having my first cup of coffee less than 2 minutes after waking up and starting the burner. I'm not sure how much more "instant" I could make it-lol. I love my morning "alone time" with my cup of coffee.

I'd definitely recommend giving Via a try...coming from a fellow coffee lover.
                        Originally posted by Shortpants View Post

Thanks for the heads up!
                        I'm not a true coffee lover more a tea imbiber but must say the VIA tastes better than any other instant I've ever had. Also beat out the freshly made DD version.

Most days we had the VIA variations with no problems. Except when I woke up later than the man and he decided that Dunkin Donuts made more sense than remembering how to start the Coleman stove. Yanno the appliance that has the how to use it instructions printed on the lid:whistle:. However I dinna give him the stink eye on the day he bought coffee and donut holes and our nephew was wolf howling over a finger splinter. Donut holes distracted the young man enough to allow me to remove the splinter:he:.

Err but back to coffee. Checkout the online store Starbuck's has set up then go to your local store and ask for a free sample of the various types of coffee they offer that match up with the instant versions. That's how I wound up choosing Columbia over say Italian Roast. The store employees were very polite about it even though I wound up buying online since it was less money. I've heard that Costco sells VIA as well.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We're also fans of a pour-over. We are living on the road full time and have found this -> GSI Java Drip to be a great option so far. We also have the bialetti moka but only use it occasionally due to the extra clean up.

Comment

Wow. My own forum. I own coffee shops. ...and had no idea there was a coffee thread.

I use AeroPress. It's light, only needs polling water to make. If you purchase this grinder to go with it, you can carry fresh whole beans with you as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00
                            JohnJohn
                            ---------
                            Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by TravelAmateurs View Post
                              We're also fans of a pour-over. We are living on the road full time and have found this -> GSI Java Drip to be a great option so far. We also have the bialetti moka but only use it occasionally due to the extra clean up.
                              Instead of spending $12.95
                              Can just get tge reusable metal filter baskets
                              I have scavenged broken coffee makers and kept the metal baskets just for camping

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                                Instead of spending $12.95
                                Can just get tge reusable metal filter baskets
                                I have scavenged broken coffee makers and kept the metal baskets just for camping
                                That definitely sounds like a cheaper option, but how do you set the metal basket on top of the cup without it falling in? Or do you just hold the basket the whole time you pour?

Comment

Working...
                                X