Homemade DONUTS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade DONUTS!!!!

My father-in-law use to make these with his scout group. This is soooo EZ, and delicious!
    Apparently, this method had been around for a while, but for those of you (like myself) who's never made these..... I posted a you tube video on how these are made. Enjoy, and share with your friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2nbb8u_1Fg

Re: Homemade DONUTS!!!!

Thanks for sharing. It seems yummy...I think I would have a try some day.
    I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

You should look up how to make bannock. Can make it with a lot less oil.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Hooray for bannock. Traditional bread of the North. Makes people speek with a French accent.

When people live outdoors and work hard, sometimes they want dough fried in oil and rolled in sugar. I learned a similar recipe from a cook on the Bell Ranch, NM. He cooked for 15-20 guys in a cow camp. The prepared biscuit dough makes it fast. Dough from a box or the top of a flour sack works fine too.

Comment

That is really what is called "Fry Bread" rather than doughnuts.

Doughnut batter will include sugar and some spices (nutmeg is common) and it starts out as a batter so that the finished product is more airy

HOWEVER. If your family likes this method, that is all that really matters and you can call it whatever you likes

Comment

"Fry Breat" is a Native American mainstay usually fried in lard. It is delicious, but quite different than the doughnut recipe above.

Comment

This looks so good and i want some now haha and i miss camping

Comment

I make these at home all the time on the stove, but for the life of me, I have never even thought about making them while camping. My family likes them covered in regular sugar; however, sometimes I will also do some in cinnamon and sugar which are good, too.

Comment

My wife was again giving me a hard time just the other day about a time I made these donuts on a group camping trip 18 years ago. It was a 28 degree morning in the Smokey Mtns. My near frozen and very numb nose began to run and she claims I was trying to make glazed donuts. Thinking about this I should probably not post this, but somehow I still will.

Comment

Those sound like a great treat on a camping trip! Thanks for sharing.
                    New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

I'll be trying these soon...going camping for spring break :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason and Ruth View Post
                        I'll be trying these soon...going camping for spring break :-)
                        Cool and jealous too.
                        Next for sure camping for me takes place the end of June; can't wait!
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My dad used to take a can of biscuits and flatten them. Then he would put a teaspoon of jam or spreadable fruit in the center. Fold them over and seal them. He would fry them and sprinkle them with powdered sugar. They were great turnovers!

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                            My dad used to take a can of biscuits and flatten them. Then he would put a teaspoon of jam or spreadable fruit in the center. Fold them over and seal them. He would fry them and sprinkle them with powdered sugar. They were great turnovers!
                            Gosh I'd love to find a way to do that with my current diet. You given me something to think on.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                              And sounds simple enough. May have to try this one this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X