Tent Heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Heaters

InternetPilot, kingquad, others and I were commenting on tent heaters. Mr. Heater's Big Buddy was the on the table and IP was commenting:

"Yup, and although it's a safety feature, it's also one of Mr. Heater's most common customer complaints -- that the automatic safety shutoff is too sensitive. Personally, I like hearing complaints that it's too sensitive. They also have built-in low O2 sensors, which is why they don't work well in higher elevations.

A propane leak is the biggest danger with a Mr. Heater. Just test your propane connections before each use like you're supposed to.

Hey, RDF, how do you get your Big Buddy working with an extension hose and a larger tank? I tried that route, but even after 10 annoying minutes of flushing out the air in the line, the pilot light still wouldn't stay lit. The heater works fine on two small cylinders, and the genuine Mr. Heater hose worked fine on my cooking stove -- just not on the heater."

We have camped at an elevation of 9600' and it took quite awhile to get the extension hose pumped out of air before the Big Buddy would light. Took both of us about 15 minutes each to get our system in working order at a high elevation. In the long run it was worth it. Just gotta have more patience than frustration. It'll work with persistence. We do carry those 1 lb canisters but we only will use them in a pinch. And with our Kodiak Canvas 9x12 Cabin Tent, pitching camp usually takes us about 2 hours to get everything up and stuff stored. We also pitch a small nylon storage tent, rain tarps, get water from a stream or lake for purification. Unlike some campers who want to pitch camp quickly and forget it we just take our ole sweet time enjoying the camping experience. Before we do anything out comes a plastic bottle of our favorite branch water and we toast each other to another campout. We made a promise to ourselves never to pitch or strike camp in darkness!

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/a...2&d=1262752855

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1274907352

Concerning propane tank leaks...another feature of the Big Buddy that if one attaches an extension tube wrong, it's almost impossible to do. The heater will not light. The connections are metal to metal flanges and the grooves are wide enough to ensure misalignment won't happen. But one needs a good snug fit at the tank and at the Heater point to ensure a good connection.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-26-2012, 12:11 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Tent Heaters

since your big buddy runs off 2 tanks, do you run 1 hose to your tank or do you install a "Y" fitting and run two hoses?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Incorrect. When one large propane (11 lb) fiberglass tank is attached there is only one hose that runs to the male intake valve. That is sufficient for five days of camping. During the 5th day if we are camping longer we'll run to civilization and refill the propane tank. For cooking with propane we have a second (3lb) fiberglass tank that fits with extension hose to our three burner Camp Chef grill. Sometimes, depending on how long we plan on camping I'll bring a third fiberglass tank. These fiberglass tanks cost twice as much as the steel tanks but weigh a lot less. If you use the 1lb canisters for the Big Buddy. Those canisters last about 8 hours and the cost begins to add up quick for any extended camp.

Comment

Wow, those fiberglass tanks are pricey! Maybe next time I need to replace my two 20lb grill tanks I'll look into killing two or three birds with one stone.

Well, you made me feel better about the Mr. Heater extension hose. I just tried it in my open garage (which is about at sea level), and despite trying to prime it for at least 10 minutes two separate times, it was no-go. I could get the pilot light to lit, but it wouldn't stay lit without pressing the dial. It still has to be something to do with the heater itself because I could pull the hose off the heater, connect it to my camp stove, and it would immediately light and stay lit (no sputtering, etc.). However, even when I would take it off the stove and put it on the heater, I still couldn't get the pilot light to stay on. I gave up and just returned the hose.

Camping in Florida, we only rarely camp when it's cold enough to really need the heater, but I was contemplating bringing one of my 20lb propane tanks with a propane tree for feeding my stove and the heater and maybe even picking up an old Coleman lantern just for the sentimental purposes. I think I'll likely just stick with the 1lb tanks for now. They last forever on my stove, and on the lowest setting two tanks will last 12 hours on my Big Buddy heater.

I hear you on taking your time setting up camp. I can setup my tent by myself in 15 minutes, but that's just the beginning -- I bring a lot of camping gear. But it makes for a very nice camping trip for me and my two boys, so I don't mind. It typically takes us (at a leisurely pace) 2 hours to setup camp and 3 hours to break it all down and pack it all back in the van.
        Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
        READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Good to know ya IP! Lighting the Big Buddy does take up some time. But once lit, is a nice heater!

Yeah, when lighting "buddy" one has to press down on the dial and turn it until it clicks. Sometimes it does take a long time to get air out-of-the-line. But once it is lit and then turned off. It is easy to re-light. Just takes persistence. Make sure your hose is connected firmly too. Big Buddy won't fire-up if there is a loose connection. Patience is a virtue when trying to light it. But I love it once it is lit! Goes with us everywhere we camp!
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Here are a few pics of our Mr. Heater in action and the connections of the hose.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Interesting -- the Mr. Heater extension hose doesn't look like that anymore. It has a male threaded connection at the tank and heater ends.

Comment

That is interesting, they must have changed designs. I have had this hose for almost a decade. It has always worked fine so I never have replaced it.

Comment

I think the overall propane standards or "codes" (if there is such a thing) dictated it. When I recently tried to replace my outdoor kitchen's propane connection, I was having trouble finding one with a female connection. Turns out that I didn't need one because both of my propane tanks have threads on the inside of the tank connection as well as the outside (if that makes sense). It seems like using the internal threads makes for a tighter connection method.

Comment

I just notice another significant difference -- you have a regulator on your hose. The new model of hose does not come with one, so you hook it up directly to the propane tank, and then hook the other end into the regulator built-in to the heater. That other connection point that you have on your Big Buddy heater does not exist on my Big Buddy heater. I have to go through one of the built-in regulators instead.

Edit: Actually, that quick-fit connection DOES exist on my Big Buddy heater! I just never noticed it before because the hose I got didn't have that type of connector.

I think I'm going to look for the model of hose that you have, because I suspect it was specifically designed for the Big Buddy heater, whereas my hose (although a genuine Mr. Heater hose) seems to be more of a generic design for use on any smaller appliance with the smaller propane connection.

Edit Again: Nevermind...I see the model you have seems to have been discontinued by Mr. Heater because you can't use an inline filter with it, which Mr. Heater strongly recommends.

I think I'm back to just using the 1lb propane tanks again. This is making my head hurt, and hauling my 20lb propane tank around is going to make my back hurt.
                    Last edited by Internetpilot; 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Best of luck! I too am sticken with what I got! Sorry about your headache.

Comment

Working...
                      X