In Wisconsin looking for beautiful primitive camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Wisconsin looking for beautiful primitive camping

Hey guys, I'm brand spanking new to the forum. So glad to have found it.

I'm from Milwaukee and I've grown bored of campgrounds like Bong and Kettle Moraine. I would like to venture out of my comfort zone and try some primitive camping. However I'm having trouble finding good recommendations. If anyone has any suggestions that would be within 4 hours of Milwaukee I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm looking for hiking near a river or lake where I can set up camp near water.

Thanks so much.

Re: In Wisconsin looking for beautiful primitive camping

I'm on the other side of the state, but I have heard good things about Peninsula State Park. Rock Island State Park looks cool, as well.

Comment

i have a lot of suggestions... would be within the area you're talking about, too! (& would NOT be a state park or other overly-crowded area)

Comment

Going to check Point Detour out this weekend - at the very tip of Wisconsin, north of Bayfield. Here is the link:

http://www.legendarywaters.com/recre...y-campgrounds/.

Have heard this is a very quiet place. Vault toilet and maybe water? Will let you know more next week.

Comment

For primitive camping, I assume you mean no drinking water, no picnic table, no nothing, but MAYBE an open area for a tent. If you want walk-in camping with a picnic table and access to drinking water, you have easy access from Milwaukee to Newport State Park at the Northern tip of Door County and Fanny Lake in the lower SE corner of Nicolet National Forest. There are many more if you travel farther west or north.

See: This sight for backpack camping in Wisconsin State Parks

See This site for Chequamegon and Nicolet Wilderness area and scroll down the page to find information and a map for wilderness camping.

You can primitive camp in much of the National Forest if you want to bushwhack. You can't do that in any state forest, however.

Comment

did you ever get the info you needed?

Comment

Following the post, trying to due more myself have done the whole campground thing and dont like it all that much ! hah:zzz:

Comment

An old thread for sure but, there are So Many options for primitive camping in Wis. Lots of Nat'l Forest acreage in the Northern half of the State...
                My fam has always used Veteran Memorial Parks that seem to be in some beautiful locations. Some Northern County Parks are hidden gems also....I know of one between Wausau & Antigo that is a must see!
                I know there are some wonderful areas throughout the State. My comfort zone and favorites are All in the Northern Third of Wis. Some truly Gorgeous scenery and wonderful roads to travel abound in 'Da Nortwoods'...up to and including Yooper Land! (Which used to be a part of Wisconsin). Luv Yoopers. The roads through the woods and around the Thousands of Lakes are Gorgeous and some of my All Time riding favs on my motorcycle. (Try Hwy 55 from near Shawno all the way up to Hwy 70 then West to Eagle River).
                Rhinelander, Eagle River and many of the communities exist solely for the Tourist Dollar, however there are many Private CGs, BLM & Tribal land options that offer Prime locations that see Very Little use.
                Im currently in Tx but am headed back in May, i will spend sometime visiting fam & camping for a cpl wks then Im doing a trip around the Lakes to visit my daughter in Kalamazoo.
                Wisconsin is Camping Paradise!
                JMHO

Ohh, on that Hwy 55 ride there's a variant, (fall leaves galore), if you follow hwy 32 where it splits off of 55...you go thru Hiles and over to Three Lakes-that stretch is THE BEST fall leaf cruise and the lil lake ride possible! Nothing but Pretty.

FWIW;
                The Northwoods does have a large black bear population. Anywhere North of Antigo/Wausau especially. There are also bobcats, fishers, coyotes, wolves & cougar. Seriously, we get cougars on our trail cams all of the time and catch site of them on occasion, a few are getting treed by dogs in these last few years. So Caution should be observed re: Food Storage.

Whitetail deer everywhere, Elk herd in Clam Lake area and a cpl of Moose have been hanging in the swamps around Crandon/Three Lakes area that have wandered down from the U.P.
                Last edited by cunningman; 12-29-2015, 12:48 AM. Reason: correction/addition

Comment

Nico1et

Id be interested on picking your brain for "Off the beaten path" sites.

Comment

Are you looking to camp on your own or with a group? I ask because I have friends who primitive camp and you could join them (if interested)

Comment

Working...
                    X