Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most important factors in choosing a backpacking tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are the most important factors in choosing a backpacking tent?

:p:p
    Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
    The only critters I am afraid of are of the bipedal variety. I've got a cure for that, too :-)

I understand that, my friend. +1 on protection from that type of critter. I really can't say that I am scared of any critter, as such, but there are some I would rather not have in my sleeping bag with me! ;-) Then there is the other kind...:p

Comment

A reasonable expenses can get you a good quality tent.

Comment

My thoughts are depends on what is most important for you:
        what seasons can you use the tent?
        How much total weight and if you are a minimalist, does it offer a minimalist configuration (Rain fly and foot print) Not my style but maybe others.
        Comfort level (how much space do you need to be comfortable and will there be other people or pets with you?
        ease of setup and tear down (Although I think most tents are pretty similar in ease, not always the case)
        Durability, how is it going to handle a massive rain, wind, or other types of storms that you may encounter during your trip?

I just bought a brand new 'backpacking' tent, and it may be out of the price range you are looking for, but if you go with the previous years model, I guarantee you can shave another $1-200 off the total price. In the end I think whatever makes you happy is the best choice and in my case I typically would rather spend a little extra money now on a purchase than being out camping and bitching about a POS product that doesn't hold up. But I don't think you have to break the bank on a tent either. I know REI has some decent tents that are not that expensive compared to some of the ultra light tents.

If you are looking to get a better price you may want to also check into ebay, craigslist, and elsewhere although I don't fully trust using someone elses' gear because you probably won't find out the 'flaws' until you are out in the muck and then find out there are issues.

Comment

When choosing a tent the most important thing in my neck of the woods is how it handles in the rain and how quick it can dry afterwords. Second most important thing is going to be the weight, and if it is easily ventilated.

Comment

I am fairly new to hiking. My wife and I have gone on several weekend excursions. I have borrowed a friends tent and think it's a pretty good one, but now is time to but my own. I have looked endlessly online at reviews and compared weights and sizes for what seems like months. I found this tent when I first started looking and i always seem to go back to it. The Hubba Hubba. Any reason I should stay away from this? Anyone love this tent?
            Thanks

Comment

http://www.rei.com/product/863076/ms...-hubba-nx-tent

That's a lot of money but if you are pretty serious and want to get a tent you both can fit in, I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.
              Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

@ Shadow
                Is there anywhere else you would like to steer me? I don't want to say "money is no object", but I don't mind paying for quality or longevity or low weight. I don't necessarily need to have awesome storm or weather resistance, but I certainly don't want to go all minimalistic (at least not yet).

Comment

Well, with some minimal searching I found this one on REI http://www.rei.com/product/880823/ke...rint#tab-specs

I have a version of this, but not the exact model. Mine is fully symmetrical, meaning the back looks exactly like the front, including the door and covered vestibule. It's actually a 3 person tent instead of two people, which means you could put your packs inside it if you needed to.

Here's some questions.

How often will you be backpacking with it?

What climate and conditions will you be using it?

A "4 season" tent in Texas is a waste, since we only have three seasons, Hot and humid as hell, Tolerable, and Rainy cold.
                  Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

We bought The Mountain Smith Morrison II after reading great reviews. It is lightweight and easy to set up it is roomy and keeps us dry and comfortable. The vestibules are large enough to store your gear. We are really happy with this tent. We were lucky enough to get a great deal on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by beargryllswannabe View Post
                      @ Shadow
                      Is there anywhere else you would like to steer me? I don't want to say "money is no object", but I don't mind paying for quality or longevity or low weight. I don't necessarily need to have awesome storm or weather resistance, but I certainly don't want to go all minimalistic (at least not yet).
                      Like any quality tent: polyester and/or nylon, anodized aluminum poles (although high-end fiberglas is good, unless you don't trust helicopters), full coverage rain fly, color coded setup, clip attachment/hub construction, mesh venting above and below. Sellers: REI, EMS, Sierra Desgns, Mountain HardWear, NorthFace, MSR, Big Agnes, Marmot. Some, like Kelty and Eureka!, sell quality products, but you must be very keen to understand that they include a lot of low-end junk to get your camping $$$. The others won't take you there for the ride.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I think that most of modern tents from the widely-known brands are of similar quality. This is just up to you which one to choose depending on your budget and some specific preferences.

Comment

Most of the really good backpacking tents are not, repeat, NOT from the manufacturers you know and love. They are built by the cottage BP industry. For a two person tent, I like the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. They make some great gear.
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

As backpacking tent, weight is the most improtant issue.also if the tent is waterproof and windproof can protect us in bad weather we should consider

Comment

For me it comes down to weight and size. I would rather carry a little bit extra weight and have a larger tent with extra space. Like most said above, there is similar build quality coming from most large tent brands, but design is the key difference...layout, height, doors, weight, etc
                              "It's not adventure if you have to pay for it"

Comment

This article does a great job at explaining what to look for in a backpacking tent, aswell as tents in general! But a quick gist is first and foremost the weight, then the quality of materials, particularly poles, zippers and fly, then theres the waterproofing and seam sealing used.

Comment

Working...
                                X