DIY tent footprint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY tent footprint?

I just bought a Eureka Spitfire tent, and they want almost $50 for a custom footprint for it. I am thinking I can make one WAY cheaper.
    Theirs is made of nylon taffeta with I guess rubber or plastic backing.

I am thinking I could make one out of a similar material and just spray some kind of rubber coating on it, or just spray the hell out of it with camp dry.

What do you guys use?
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Re: DIY tent footprint?

I use emergency space blankets. They are lighter than anything else you could possibly use, even lighter than the popular Tyvek.

Plus, I get the added benefit of reflecting heat back into the tent.. muwhahahahahah. Take THAT, heat-sucking-mother-earth!
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I would figure those would rip too easily if you are talking about the aluminized mylar ones. I don't want to have to make a new one every time i go out.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I have not yet had one rip or even get a hole that I have found. I even pitch tent directly in rocks if need be. They are pretty tough. Spend the $2 to test one out, you might be surprised!
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

They also make a heavier duty space blanket. They are less than $15 at REI online.

Comment

My wife and I have not camped for more than 40 years. We have been buying gear every month, and now we think we have just about all we need. But the foot print we bought was the heavy gray tarps from a place that truckers use for supplies. Ww think we will trin the tarps to fit or fold them into shape. We bought two coleman 8 person tents, one fro us and the other for whoever would like to go with us, like grand kids who are old enough to camp (13-15). Are these tarps ok?

Comment

Originally posted by farout View Post
              My wife and I have not camped for more than 40 years. We have been buying gear every month, and now we think we have just about all we need. But the foot print we bought was the heavy gray tarps from a place that truckers use for supplies. Ww think we will trin the tarps to fit or fold them into shape. We bought two coleman 8 person tents, one fro us and the other for whoever would like to go with us, like grand kids who are old enough to camp (13-15). Are these tarps ok?
              that is all i've ever used is the gray tarps, blue tarps, green tarps, or brown tarps (each are a different thickness) and i've never had any problems with them. the key is whatever you use under the tent for the footprint is to make it slightly smaller than the tent dimensions so that rain won't pool around the edges of the tent. i was shown this by my dad when i started camping in tents with him at age 6. went camping at Oconee State Park in Upstate South Carolina (which i'm from eastern SC) last week for the 4th with the family and i saw several folks have their footprints out further than the tents. after the first rain on monday, people were complaining about the standing water. i suggested to them trimming the footprint and after the tuesday rain, they were satisfied with the results..rained every day through friday for 30-45 minutes and they complained no more after trimming their footprint..good luck with it and have fun camping

Comment

Our son has a Aircondition & Heating Comp. Theu have a think (about3/8") material that silver in color that is used to insulate the outside of the metal ducts. This comes in 4' roll (I think) and that would be something that can be duct taped together on both sides. That would add protection for rock puncture, and would for sure give some warmth.

In fact I like the idea so well I am going to try it myself. I doubt it would cost any more than a WalMart tarp.:D

Comment

I got suckered into buying a Eureka footprint. Light weight low mil plastic and yes expensive to boot.
                  It lasted maybe 2 years before it ripped and I handled it extra carefully.

Now I use the optional floor from my screen tent and it works just fine.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

In all my life, I have never put anything under my tent. I don't know what all the fuss is about LOL! ;-)
                    My Other Interest

Comment

made my own from plastic sheeting. this vid will show you how.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RueJ7t2J6t0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

I would never spend the money on a manufactured footprint, I simply use a trap, cut to the shape of my tent floor (trim it a little smaller).

Silvermaple comment about 'never using them, not knowing what the fuss is about'. Well, there are two functions for the footprint (groundsheet). The first is to protect the floor of the tent from abrasions and any punctures in the floor that may occur as a result of placing the tent over sharp rocks. I use a trap as its thicker material then the custom footprints that you would purchase at your local retailer (Custom footprints can range in the $50 region, while a trap can be purchased for a few dollars from a dollar store. Tents are worth a lot of money - you should protect your investment and get many years out of it.

The second reason I use a groundsheet is to ad an additional layer between me and the ground. I do the majority of my camping in the Canadian Rocky Mtns. Even in the height of summer the ground and air can be cold. Generally I have three layers (not including my sleeping bag) between the ground and me - the groundsheet (footprint); the tent floor and my sleeping pad (I use a Therm‑a‑Rest Neoair XTherm Sleeping Pad)

Comment

WalMart offers heavy-duty tarps for very little cash. A Space Blanket is a thin piece of mylar really only good for one thing - non-breathable emergency heat retention in rescue situations. Some of our tents have "footprints" that were either included or bought off the 'Net for very litttle scratch, but we prefer tarps for the extra "porch" front and back for boot storage and such. That said, the tarp or footprint adds nothing for insulation value as its construction conducts heat/cold to the inside of the tent freely. It's the open-cell foam self-inflating sleeping pad that insulates you from the ground cold, not layers of plastic or nylon.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

We used an 11'x15' tarp from harborfreight for our 12'x13' tent. The doors were on the 13' side and the tent overhung the tarp by 1' on each side of the 11' edge on the tarp. The 15' side of the tarp we used as a front "stoop" for the doors of the tent. The tarp came out from under the tent about 2' and was perfect for taking off shoes. It didn't rain on any of our camping trips (thankfully) but if it did we would have just folded the tarp up under itself under the tent.

Comment

If you happen to have BIG LOTS stores where your at i picked up a 5 mil thick 6 x 8 tarp for 3 dollars and they have much bigger sizes for super cheap..
                              Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Working...
                              X