X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY tent footprint?

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Ya 'N So....

As far as footprints for tents go. I seem to remember being in a tent that had upgraded wooden pallets as a floor. I thought that really upgraded the living quarters

However, it was a semi-permanent set-up and not done for weekend gigs

You know, I still meet plenty of families that go on two week vacations. They go to some state or national campground, plunk down and camp for real. A lot of times, the father will come for part of the day and then go to work This seems more common with the manufacturing job guys for some reason

I remember my dad telling me that his family would do that in the 1930's and 1940's. families with lake cottages would move to the cottages for the summer and dad would visit on weekends. Folks without cottages would do the same thing, but camp in tents
    Trust me, it's still happening, both the long term camping and cottage rentals. Back in the early '80's, when I attended college in Ithaca, NY, I camped for entire summers at local state parks to save housing costs. Meet several mostly local families that stayed in cabins or campgrounds, long term as well. Sometimes this was their temporary digs whilst remodeling, other times it was family tradition to sleep outdoors during the summer. Other times, it was an affordable way to have a family vacation.

Computerised reservations have gone a long way towards ending this practice in current times but people still search for loopholes. I know of people who band together when making longterm reservations, changing gear, vehicles, all in a fairly successful method to beat time limits. Oh and nowadays, you'll find people from a wide economic spectrum camping out in this manner.

Back on topic:D- I use an inexpensive yet useful blue tarp as a footprint. I'll admit to buying my tent's custom footprint initially but it sorely disappointed me. Excruciatingly expensive (think I paid about 40 bucks) and it barely lasted one season. I knew when I opened the package I was in for trouble as it was barely heavier in thickness (AKA mils) than a generic trash bag.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Have y'all seen the mesh looking footprints at REI? I'm just not feeling it. Not only are they expensive like everything else there, but mesh? It just can't work. There hast to be a scientific theory against it. There just has to be. I hate being an engineer sometimes. I think too much.

Comment

Where are you seeing mesh footprints. Everything I've seen at REI is a waterproof nylon foot print, either polyurethane coated or PU coated on one side, silicone treated on the other (high end tents).

Comment

I saw them on the shelf this last weekend. REI branded for their tents. They also had the ones that you speak of. These are advertised as UL for their smaller tents.

Comment

Are you sure they weren't just in mesh stuff sacks? I've seen LL Bean footprints that come in a mesh storage sack. I don't see any mesh footprints on the REI website and I can really imagine why they would sell a product like that.

Comment

Originally posted by familycamper View Post
              I saw them on the shelf this last weekend. REI branded for their tents. They also had the ones that you speak of. These are advertised as UL for their smaller tents.
              Could they have been sand mats which might be sold near the footprints?

http://www.rei.com/product/819303/cg...multimat-small

Footprints made of a see through fabric wouldn't make much sense to me as well.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Just got back from the store and asked the associate about them. She told me they are old stock, UL footprints. She took one out of the package. The mesh is a reinforcement over a layer of very thin, clear plastic. My bad.

Comment

I have never used a footprint and therefore never gotten wet, exept that one time as a Boy Scout. People got along fine without footprints for 100 years but now most people use one. Last week a guy got wet on our canoe trip because his footprint was larger than his tent.

Comment

Yes, but 100 years ago, tents were made of cotton canvas and weighed a ton. Today's tents are made of much lighter materials. The materials are so light that the added abrasion protection of a footprint isn't a bad idea and the added weight is negligible for all but ultralight backpacking.

If you have to use a footprint to keep water from coming through the floor of a tent, you've got a bad tent. I think the value of a footprint isn't to stay dry, but simply to extend the life of the floor of tent and keep it functioning properly to keep water out for a longer period of time by reducing abrasion. Also makes cleanup easier as more of the mud and dirt and sand is on the footprint instead of the tent floor. The footprint is much easier to clean and dry -- and can be packed up separately. When, I camp, it's usually the only thing that gets packed up wet. All the wet sand stays in the footprint stuff sack, not with the tent. So even if I didn't properly dry and store everything when I get home, the footprint is the only thing that would suffer from being stored wet.

Comment

Great idea. Saves some pretty good cash as well. You can probably cut the blanket to fit pretty easily as well.

Comment

Where I camp there is always dew on the bottom of the rent when I pack it and I have to dry it as I'm folding or risk mildew. With a footprint I don't get that which saves a lot of time packing up.

Comment

For me, the biggest reason to use a footprint is that it gets all the mud and sand. Easy to wash off when I get home, either with the hose, or a bucket of water, or even in the washing machine (gentle cycle). The bottom of the tent stays dry and clean.

Tyvek sheeting seems to be a popular choice for DIY footprints.

Comment

Have used canvas, nylon, Mylar and just about anything else I know. The gentleman was right it's not so much what you use, trim to smaller than the footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              I remember my dad telling me that his family would do that in the 1930's and 1940's. families with lake cottages would move to the cottages for the summer and dad would visit on weekends. Folks without cottages would do the same thing, but camp in tents
                              Reviving this old thread.

This still happens. In the last town we lived in WV, prior to moving to FL, lots of moms and kids I knew would spend the entire summer at a local campground. Dads would come on the weekends or whenever.

I had never heard of such a thing until we moved there. And having grown up and previously camped as an adult in only wooded areas, I was shocked at the "campground" where they all stayed.

Although it is right on the river, it is basically just a an open field. I did have fun camping there (for a couple days at a time) but only because of all the activities constantly going on and being with friends. I'm including a link just to show photos of what I mean. I would not really consider it a campground, but more of a gathering place.

http://wapocomacampground.com/

Back to the subject at hand:

Even knowing lots of people who kept their tents up all summer, I never before heard of a custom footprint. I didn't know such a thing existed. All I have used, or seen used, are regular tarps folded to just a bit smaller than the floor of the tent.

Comment

Well I have read all 5 pages on this subject and know one talked about what I have used for a number of years when I was tent camping.(4 man tent) My brother is in the floor covering industry. So I would get a scrap of vinel flooring. Cut it to fit and put some tape on the edges. So it won't want to crack rolling it up a number of times. Make sure you roll it up into the side that will be facing down. Because it will want to curl up on you when you unroll it. Flip it over and lay it out. Then when you put the tent on it. It will flatten out. Bigger tents you will need a little room in you rig for the roll of vinel. If you can find a Wholesale building were the installers pick up the flooring. You could ask if they have any scraps. Or if it would be OK to dumpster dive. If it is a small piece, like a 4 man tent. They will usually say, sure. Bigger tents they may say that is to big of a piece. But ask. You never know. Have a great camping time this year!

Comment

Working...
                                X