Canvas Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canvas Tents

I have one of the Green/yellow Sears Ted Williams 10 man canvas tent available to purchase if anyone on here is looking for one.

Comment

Yeah if I get a canvas tent it will probably look like this
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Ha ha ha. is that you in the photo, shadow? Knife throwing demonstrations to follow after the fire breathing and bearded lady show....

Comment

Originally posted by campinganthony View Post
          I have been looking for a canvas wall tent for our annual camping trip. I live in Eastern Idaho, and there is a local company that builds wall tents, though from what I have seen, they can be quite a bit heavy. Currently, we use about a half a dozen nylon tents, but the wind around here can get hairy, and has in the past ended some of our camping trips prematurely. We have also had to replace the nylon tents every 2 to 3 years, hence the desire for a canvas tent. I am not opposed to gettng a tent from else where, but was curious if anyone had any experience with the tents from Idaho Canvas, as I would love to purchase something locally. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          The Idaho Canvas Products website sure seems to indicate that they know their stuff and are serious about it. If you could buy their stuff locally made, man that is a no brainer. Maybe one thought is that their tents are completely old school - ridge poles, etc. Maybe not quite as complete a package as a Kodiak with all the interanal framework already supplied.

Anybody considering canvas tents would be well advised to read some of the many camping books by Bill Riviere from the early 1960's. That was just about the peak of the canvas tent days. He illustrates and explains the advantages and disadvantages of every kind of canvas tent. He talks about fabric choices, set-up, maintanance, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Anybody considering canvas tents would be well advised to read some of the many camping books by Bill Riviere from the early 1960's. That was just about the peak of the canvas tent days. He illustrates and explains the advantages and disadvantages of every kind of canvas tent. He talks about fabric choices, set-up, maintanance, etc.
            I'm sure a lot of the information would still be relevant, but I wouldn't think some of his talk about types of canvas and waterproofing would still hold true today. There have been a lot of advances in material and waterproofing products since the 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Ha ha ha. is that you in the photo, shadow? Knife throwing demonstrations to follow after the fire breathing and bearded lady show....
              Nope, I'm the bearded lady...

ok no beard, but I'm a chick.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                Nope, I'm the bearded lady...
                ok no beard, but I'm a chick.

Holy crap Shadow. We ain't heard from you in a while. Welcome back and how have you been?
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'm a chick.
                  That's very sexist of you LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    That's very sexist of you LOL
                    I didn't want to say "Dyke" and have you call be homophobic. lol

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      Holy crap Shadow. We ain't heard from you in a while. Welcome back and how have you been?
                      I got more active in SCA stuff, and other things that drew my attention.

Comment

I got more active in SCA stuff, and other things that drew my attention.

Well, hopefully, you can still find time to drop in from time to time.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Hello to Y'all, I just found this site and joined. I am always up for camping - love the outdoors, as long as it's in the shade and isn't TOO cold or TOO hot! Here's a tent I love - perfect for Florida heat with all the windows. My other two are just because I like them, too. Friends can use them when we camp together.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Juju; 09-15-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X