Canvas Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canvas Tents

What are some good canvas tents that I could look at? I have now a coleman 4 man tent but don't like how thin it is for cold weather plus the fact that the top is mostly mesh. I found the Kodiak Flex Bow and it looks decent. Was hoping ya'll might could tell me of some others that I could consider.

Thanks,
    WT
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Re: Canvas Tents

I love canvas tents for long extended outings for their durability and old-school style...that said, why would you want to pack a tent that weighs twice the weight or more and takes up so much room in your pack? Kodiak and other canvas manufacturers will provide a great pitch, but you will pay dearly for quality and since production numbers are lower, you might find polyester models suitable for cold weather camping in your want-it list for a lot less. But if weight and space aren't a concern, follow this thread for some good advice!
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Since you asked about a specific type of tent......

I have a kodiak canvas bow flex tent and it is awesome. I can set it up in about 15-20 minutes, no sweat. I also use a Mr Buddy heater in it and I will not be shopping for another tent anytime soon. I look at it this way, I like camping and I am going to be doing it for a while. So instead of buying a bunch of different type tents, I just bought one that will work. Yes they are expensive, but they are built to last. I have enclosed two video's that sold me on kodiak canvas. Watch them and judge for yourself, after all, it is your money and you will be the one using your tent.

This first video is the setup of the tent. Pay attention to this. If that girl can set it up, I am pretty sure anyone can

A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN WITHIN A MILE OF THIS TENT!!!

Comment

Wow. That flex bowl tent holds up amazingly in those high winds! I might just get one for Burning Man. I've also seen nice canvas tents by Magnum.

Comment

tplife - I have a couple of tents now that are easier to move and pack. I have a magellan family tent that we took out once for the entire family and my personal tent is a 4 man tent by coleman. Had it out a week ago and temps got down to the 30s and it was just a bit chilly inside. My normal routine is I drive to the lake and pitch camp next to the truck so I am hoping for something a little more winter geared for when it will be cold out. I still plan on using my existing tents for summer, fall, and spring as they are easy to move around not that heavy, but would like one for the extreme cold weather. I am a pansy when it comes to cold weather, grew up where temps in summer were 110 with 90% humidity. I grab a jacket when it drops below 65... LOL

shawnbebout - I had not seen those videos yet, thanks. I was concerned with the Flex Bow only having the two poles to hold it up but after the second video, wouldn't be too worried. This is West Texas and our calm days are 10-15 mph winds, breezy being 25-30, and windy days we get normal gusts around 50-60.

stanleycamps - thanks, I will look at Magnum to see what they have.
          "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

I recommend an older Canvas tent. We use a late 60's SEARS model.

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
              tplife - I have a couple of tents now that are easier to move and pack. I have a magellan family tent that we took out once for the entire family and my personal tent is a 4 man tent by coleman. Had it out a week ago and temps got down to the 30s and it was just a bit chilly inside. My normal routine is I drive to the lake and pitch camp next to the truck so I am hoping for something a little more winter geared for when it will be cold out. I still plan on using my existing tents for summer, fall, and spring as they are easy to move around not that heavy, but would like one for the extreme cold weather. I am a pansy when it comes to cold weather, grew up where temps in summer were 110 with 90% humidity. I grab a jacket when it drops below 65... LOL

shawnbebout - I had not seen those videos yet, thanks. I was concerned with the Flex Bow only having the two poles to hold it up but after the second video, wouldn't be too worried. This is West Texas and our calm days are 10-15 mph winds, breezy being 25-30, and windy days we get normal gusts around 50-60.

stanleycamps - thanks, I will look at Magnum to see what they have.
              Thanks WestTexan. We have 6-man high-end tents that we use in mountain/desert/valley environs (full uber-corded tie-outs with 12" stakes) that weigh less than half their canvas equivalents. As stated, we LOVE canvas for its apps, but for our sub-compact packing to allow for other fun come-alongs, canvas is so 20th-century...
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

No problem West Texan. Let's us know what you finally end up getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathss View Post
                  I recommend an older Canvas tent. We use a late 60's SEARS model.
                  Is so pretty! :D seems a minimini circus tent! I like it!
                  Last edited by Jenna; 03-04-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I have to say, I really love canvas tents, as long as I am not the one porting, setting up, or tearing down. It just appeals to me in an old school way.
                    Back when I was in the SCA, some people had those medieval tents that were simply fantastic. I saw one guy who had a collapseable 4-poster bed in his with a king size air mattress. Be had to have a trailer to haul all the crap in and took hours to set up, but it was cool looking.

Now when it comes to me, I want the lightest, easiest to set up thing I can get, that still has the features and room that I need.
                    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Of all the tents I've looked at, I think I like the Kodiak the best. Will try to get me one by next winter. For the rest of this winter, I'll stick with my little tent and try putting a lightwieght tarp over it to keep the wind out. That last outting, I had the wind blowing through the mesh at the top and it was just a tad bit cold.

WT

Comment

I have been looking for a canvas wall tent for our annual camping trip. I live in Eastern Idaho, and there is a local company that builds wall tents, though from what I have seen, they can be quite a bit heavy. Currently, we use about a half a dozen nylon tents, but the wind around here can get hairy, and has in the past ended some of our camping trips prematurely. We have also had to replace the nylon tents every 2 to 3 years, hence the desire for a canvas tent. I am not opposed to gettng a tent from else where, but was curious if anyone had any experience with the tents from Idaho Canvas, as I would love to purchase something locally. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you are driving in and not worried about weight, then I would suggest a Panther Primitives pyramid, or hunter's, tent with an added awning. Easy set up with one pole, TONS of interior room. Choice of 7 sizes.
                          http://www.pantherprimitives.com/furtrade2.html

Comment

Those outfitters tents are nice. Don't have any experience with either of the two mentioned brands, but I do know outfitters tents are a PITA to set up. If you are going out for the weekend, it is worth spending 2-3 hours (or more) setting up and tearing down? That is what I like Kodiak Canvas. I can set it up in less than 20 minutes.

Comment

I assure you the hunter tent (or pyramid) can indeed be up in just a few minutes. Stake the 4 corners and raise the single center pole. Then you can later add more stakes and a front tarp if you wish. Definitely not for backpacking, but I personally wouldn't carry any kind of canvas backpacking.

Comment

Working...
                              X