Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tinder Kit Items

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
    I never actually make a fire since my husband does that and he always uses stuff laying around on the ground.

Even so, recently I saw a Girl Scout video where they made starters from paper / cardboard egg cartons. You just take old candles, birthday candles, or broken crayons that you have around the house and put some in each compartment with either balled up pieces of junk mail or wood chips or basically whatever you have.

Put the carton in a very low oven (on a cookie sheet) just long enough to melt the wax. Once the harden, you just tear off one egg section at a time to use. The egg carton catches quickly and they burn for a long time.

Being the not-so-proud owner of an endless supply of broken crayons and birthday candles, I'm definitely going to make some. Better than throwing them away.
    Very cool! A nice way to re-purpose some things we may all have laying around too.

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
      Very cool! A nice way to re-purpose some things we may all have laying around too.
      I was impressed enough to try it as well. I have seen other people that just use only crayons for fire starters. A box of 24 right now at Walmart is .50 for Crayola and .25 cents for generic. I have heard they each burn for over 30 minutes on their own. And they are small and easy to carry.

Comment

I look forward to field reports of crayon starters. I am curious to know how they perform in wet conditions.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I've used a variant of the egg-crate starters that incorporates flammable dryer lint. They worked out well.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
            I look forward to field reports of crayon starters. I am curious to know how they perform in wet conditions.
            I'm hoping not to camp in wet conditions, but living on 8 wooded acres, we do have a backyard fire pit to try them out.

At Walmart today, I tried to buy eggs in a cardboard carton and the only ones to be had were $3.37 for a small carton of 6. Needless to say, I declined.

Tonight or tomorrow, we are going to experiment with just using a single crayon as a starter. Supposedly, they burn for 30 minutes on their own, even when wet. I am about to find out and let you all know.

Comment

d
              I'm hoping not to camp in wet conditions, but living on 8 wooded acres, we do have a backyard fire pit to try them out.

At Walmart today, I tried to buy eggs in a cardboard carton and the only ones to be had were $3.37 for a small carton of 6. Needless to say, I declined.

Tonight or tomorrow, we are going to experiment with just using a single crayon as a starter. Supposedly, they burn for 30 minutes on their own, even when wet. I am about to find out and let you all know.
              Yeah, eggs here in CO were almost $4 a dozen. WTH?
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                d

Yeah, eggs here in CO were almost $4 a dozen. WTH?
                Time to get some chickens! I've been thinking about it for years, now starting to get serious about it.

Tomorrow scattered thunderstorms here all day..... that means the evening everything will be wet and the crayon will be put to the test.

Comment

Time to get some chickens! I've been thinking about it for years, now starting to get serious about it.

Tomorrow scattered thunderstorms here all day..... that means the evening everything will be wet and the crayon will be put to the test.
                  You know me, the "experienced outdoorsman", "home-grown rancher", and all that rub. Sent the emails to my legislators when California politicians and American Humane Society Animal-Rights activists joined forces and said they knew way, way more than our egg farmers about chicken happiness, and now the big-barn producers are playing that tune...The big fast-food places bow to the same fad lovers, buy most of the eggs...now we lose another inexpensive protein source. Thanks know-it-alls! Can't wait until my hunting meat source is banned too, and you take away my family pets (their agenda if you are a researcher)...
                  Last edited by tplife; 09-15-2015, 08:12 PM.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I love my chickens. Beware - they are habit forming. The good news is, they are a lot cheaper than exotics.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Hubby is going to build me a coop as soon as he is done with our daughter's deck.

Still waiting on it to rain enough for crayon tinder test. Out of 5 days of predicted thunderstorms, we have had one short shower. It was sunny and dried out everything quickly. I really would like to do the crayon test with wet wood, but may end up just going for it. We had a fire the other night and I forgot about it.

Comment

Still waiting on it to rain enough for crayon tinder test.
                        Unless the paper on the crayons act as a kind of a wick, I don't see crayons staying lit any more than straight wax would. I'm pretty sure you're going to need some kind of binding agent. That's why people mix things like sawdust, wood chips and dryer lint with the wax.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          Unless the paper on the crayons act as a kind of a wick, I don't see crayons staying lit any more than straight wax would. I'm pretty sure you're going to need some kind of binding agent. That's why people mix things like sawdust, wood chips and dryer lint with the wax.
                          Exactly. Break off a small portion of the actual crayon while leaving the paper wrapper intact and sticking slightly above the remaining crayon. Light the paper wrapper. It will act as a wick.

However, I still like cotton balls with vaseline. They pack small (I store in a ziplock sandwich bag), weigh nothing, and start easily with a small spark from my striker. They also don't melt when exposed to heat. No need for matches or a lighter (although I also pack these in my FS kit).
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            Still have not tested this in wet conditions, but we did use some crayons as starters this past week. They didn't stay whole, but melted over the wood and kept it lit long enough to keep things going good.

Haven't scored any egg cartons yet to make melt starters. I blame the current crazy egg prices on McDonald's new all-day-breakfast. Maybe. :confused:

Comment

Working...
                            X