Tinder Kit Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tinder Kit Items

I'm not going to say I drink a lot of wine, but I happen to have a lot of wine bottle bags (you know, the brown paper bags that are narrower and longer than a traditional lunch bag). I stuff these with the shredded paper from our cross-cut document shredder, then twist the end closed. They make little stuffed-paper 'logs' that go up fast and hot.

Comment

I'd grown tired of buying them locally, a box at a time, so years ago I found somebody selling a case of Trioxane, the military firestarter blocks. I've never bothered to see what the chemical differences are, but they're similar to Esbit solid fuel. The blocks come three in a box, each sealed in super thick foil. They take just a spark and it's off to the races with about 10 minutes burn time. I've been selling them on Craigslist and at yard sales and I still have a lifetime supply!

Comment

I take old tapered candlesticks and cut them into 1" pieces; then wrap them in wax paper. They always light wet or dry. If you happen to have some waxed paper cups lying around they work great as starters too.

Comment

Take tapered candles and cut them into 1" pieces; then wrap them in wax paper. Just light the wax paper and away it goes. Wax paper cup also work great as fire starters if you have some.

Comment

I realize I'm really late to this party. Dryer Lint and vaseline cotton balls are old, reliable standby's. Having said that, I carry a firesteel and a few tinderquik tabs. 1/2 of a tab is sufficient. I don't normally even build a fire, but these items are also good for lighting my stove. I don't trust lighters - the lighter fluid can evaporate in hot weather. Magnesium is a waste of money and will dull a good knife edge in a hurry. Matches are OK. I don't like anything that is mechanically complex - it is more likely to fail. I keep my fire stuff in an Aloksak.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
              I realize I'm really late to this party. Dryer Lint and vaseline cotton balls are old, reliable standby's. Having said that, I carry a firesteel and a few tinderquik tabs. 1/2 of a tab is sufficient. I don't normally even build a fire, but these items are also good for lighting my stove. I don't trust lighters - the lighter fluid can evaporate in hot weather. Magnesium is a waste of money and will dull a good knife edge in a hurry. Matches are OK. I don't like anything that is mechanically complex - it is more likely to fail. I keep my fire stuff in an Aloksak.
              i disagree with the magnesium a waste of money,
              i wouldnt use it as regular fire starting method,
              but great to have in ones pack for emergency,
              doesnt go bad, can get wet,
              I buy magnesium firestarter at harbor freight when on sale,
              yes cheap china mag, but they work and cost like $2 on sale,
              have a bunch so always have 1 around, and give them to kids when i take them out camping and stuff

Comment

I always take my fire kit with me in my bag and it contains multiple items and ways to "make fire". An Exotac polyStriker XL ferrorod, vaseline cotton balls in a small ziplock, magnesium shavings in a small sealed container (I did the shaving at home at the kitchen table-no wind to blow them away), a few tindersticks, UCO stormproof matches, and a mini bic lighter.

Oh, and I have a small supply of tea light candles I keep inside the UCO mini-candle lantern during the winter months (figure this could also come in handy if the car gets stuck in the snow and I have to spend some time inside it waiting for help).
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I like the trioxane fuel tabs for emergencies. I sometimes use part of one for camp fires, but try to make fires without outside materials for the most part. I make a fire at home every day all winter in the wood stove. I never use paper or anything of that sort, just split some pine down fine, make a good lay, and light it with one match.

I'm a lighter jinx. Bic lighters more often than not fail to work for me, even when testing them.

The Diamond Strike Anywhere matches nowadays are not reliable or useful. Theyve made the formula safer, so the box wont ignite if dropped or whatever. The last couple boxes I've had, they wouldnt strike even on the box as well as strike on box matches. I had some in my emergency match safe, and they utterly failed to work. I now buy the expensive wind and waterproof matches and put a piece of striker board in the match safe with them (striker face away from the matches). THEY WORK! I tossed most of the last box of strike anywheres in my wood stove just to get rid of them. They werent even useful in lighting the woodstove striking them on the box. Theyd crumble, sputter, then go out, few would even light. Sad.

I keep a box of strike on box matches handy for camp use, kept in a ziplock bag. Keep some spare small boxes of the wind and waterproof matches in plastic containers with the camp stuff.

Comment

Here is a nifty little item I added to my kit recently. I like it because you can use it one-handed (unlike a firesteel), and it uses my beloved tinder-quik tabs (which work in wet conditions), and it all comes bundled up in a nice tidy little container. It is called a Spark-lite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_35.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	70070

Comment

I would have never thought of a tampon. Impressive. I will remeber that next time I go camping.

Comment

here's my fire kit. I carry lengths of sisal rope and old bailing twine. I also make punk charcoal. I incorporate dead grasses and the like to make my birds nest. Put the charcoal in the char cloth and it helps to catch the nest on fire. If your dealing with damp or wet wood you can light a candle.
                        Attached Files

Comment

There is something to be said for home-made tinders. It's not like going to the store and just buying something. You have a real connection with the fire element. Still, I gotta say I LOVE those tinderquick tabs! Saves grams and space.

Comment

Originally posted by outdoordreamdeals.com View Post
                            I would have never thought of a tampon. Impressive. I will remeber that next time I go camping.

When I posted the tampon video, it was to prove it could be done. 2 weeks ago I showed a bunch of girls how to start a fire with stuff they had in their purse's. A girl had a tampon and some vasoline lip therapy stuff. I told them as long as they carried these things, they have tinder. Plus I also explained the other valuable uses for a tampon. Once we got past the initial stigma of a guy talking and messing around with a tampon, they were impressed.
                            BTW, the name change ties in with the "the banned one" under my "new" username.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Bring a couple of BIC Lighters (which I hate since they end up in the ocean and kill countless birds) a waterproof container with 10 strike anywhere matches with the cardboard striker torn off the box and put with matches, and a lithe my fire ferrous rod with striker (whistle included). If you can not start a fire with all this....

Comment

I never actually make a fire since my husband does that and he always uses stuff laying around on the ground.

Even so, recently I saw a Girl Scout video where they made starters from paper / cardboard egg cartons. You just take old candles, birthday candles, or broken crayons that you have around the house and put some in each compartment with either balled up pieces of junk mail or wood chips or basically whatever you have.

Put the carton in a very low oven (on a cookie sheet) just long enough to melt the wax. Once the harden, you just tear off one egg section at a time to use. The egg carton catches quickly and they burn for a long time.

Being the not-so-proud owner of an endless supply of broken crayons and birthday candles, I'm definitely going to make some. Better than throwing them away.

Comment

Working...
                                X