Tinder Kit Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinder Kit Items

What kind of things do you keep in your tinder kits. I have magnesium fire starter, matches, a magnafying-glass , dried and shreded corn husks and (as gross as it may sound) a tampon, (ive read in magazines that the fibers from this device are flamable). I keep it all in a watertight box that I bought at Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by Awtted; 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM.

Re: Tinder Kit Items

Umm, my husband is a bit extreme. I don't know what it's called but he has this torch attachment that fits on a propane bottle. That's what he uses. However, I do keep cotton balls coated in vaseline, a fire steel, bic lighter and matches that I've painted the tips with finger nail polish. I'm pretty sure I have the steel wool in there too. I also keep these items in my car along with some other survival items.
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

If you are car camping and not backpacking, potato chips and most regular corn chips will blaze up and burn for a while with just a touch of a cigarette lighter. 2-3 chips, with some dried leaves is enough to get your kindling going.

What I usually use is the cardboard box from the 12-pack of cokes I recently dumped in the cooler, plus any trashed paper towels or tissue I might have used during the day. I loosely pack the box full of the waste paper, and then pile sticks on it. If the wood is a bit damp, somethings I will use a slice of two off of one of those sawdust-and-wax starter logs.

Now backpacking, I would use the lightest, smallest thing that would do the job. That would probably be dryer lint mixed with vasoline, or something similar.

EDIT: Also, when I am clearing a place for my tent, I invariably pick up a bunch of stick, twigs, pinecones, and other deadfall like that. Some of which I use as kindling.
      Last edited by Shadow; 12-17-2011, 07:55 AM.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Cotton balls dipped in vaseline, double bagged in sandwich bags. This is for emergencies only, as I have always been able to find something to use in the area where I am starting the fire.

As far as ignition sources, I carry a lighter, and my Jetboil has a piezoelectric starter. Occasionally I throw in a magnesium stick, but have started leaving that at home because I am trying to pack lighter.
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I store my vaseline coated cotton balls in 35mm film canisters. I just grab 5 or 6 whenever I am some place that still develops 35mm film. BTW, the film canisters burn as well.

Comment

Tampon as tender video

Comment

Thank you for this vid. It proves that this is possible.

Comment

for its compact size vs the size of "Poofed out" material it is pretty good. I would assume they come in waterproof wrapping, so that is a plus. The down side was that it only burned for about 15 seconds. Another use for a tampon would be for bloody/broken noses.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbebout View Post
                  for its compact size vs the size of "Poofed out" material it is pretty good. I would assume they come in waterproof wrapping, so that is a plus. The down side was that it only burned for about 15 seconds. Another use for a tampon would be for bloody/broken noses.
                  That would be funny if someone got a photo of you with a tampon up your nose. Oh BTW, if you crammed it up your bloody nose, keep in mind it would expand inside your nose as it soaked up blood. You might have trouble pulling it back out.
                  Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Best fire tinder I've found so far.. and it's FREE, is dryer lint. Lights quickly. Keep it in a ziplock bag with the air pushed out and it's compact and light.

Comment

Of course it's a regional thing, but pretty much anything you can pick up off the ground in SoCal is a "good fire starter". :cool:
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'm saving dryer lint, but have not tried it before. If it doesn't work, I'll definitely let you all know.

Comment

I use drier lint,
                          Lights well,
                          Its light to carry and compact,
                          I keep. A wad of it in several places, on myself, first aid kit, in packs, etc..
                          I do recomend trying whatever you use first, before having to rely on it.

Comment

So do I terasec, but I stuff our dryer lint in the discarded toilet paper rolls and that will start any fire, any wood in any kind of weather!
                            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Jeesh, flaming tampons. Who woulda thought!

Lots of great ideas here. The bottom line is that you need a fire starter that will work when everything around you is wet. The best cheap-0 product is the fire starter sticks from your local sporting goods store. Around $2.00 for a whole pocket full of them. They always work, they burn long, hot, and will start wet twigs on fire.

If you are looking for something that is more elaborate, but will work for sure (ie "surefire") then pack some steel wool and a 9-volt battery. KEEP THEM SEPARATE! Be sure to tape off the leads of the battery for transport so it doesn't go dead on you.

When you need a fire, touch the steel wool to the battery leads. VOOM!! Fire! About as sure-fire as it gets rain or shine.

A tea candle is not a bad option too because they are small, lightweight, and waterproof. They burn for about four hours and if you can't get a fire going with a four hour light, then you are wet toast.

HOW
                              Last edited by Mike; 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X