ammo can uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ammo can uses

Hmm. a BIG tuna weighs several hundred pounds.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
      Hmm. a BIG tuna weighs several hundred pounds.
      It'll fit, but you might have to sit on the lid to get it to close

Comment

I had used one at one point as a food/beer cooling system. I tied a line to the handle, then to a tree. Filled the can up, locked the lid shut (water tight, if seal is still good), and dropped it into some flowing water. Worked pretty well.

Comment

threads a bit old but I'll bite...
          I use a selection of ammo cans;
          The Jeep first aid kit used to be a .223 can but is now either a fat 50 or a .30 caliber can (I would have to look).

Canned beverages are often transported off road in metal Bradley boxes (25mm?) the cans in if left in cardboard cases cans can wear holes in each other (not good for carbonated drinks; or thirsty people who have just set up camp).

A lot of the bulk food (crackers, snacks, peanuts, GORP, macaroni and near a half loaf of bread gets transported in large peanut jars in the metal Bradley boxes too! that or in large .50 cans (depending on trip lengeth). ..they are moderately critter resistant but as far as I know a bear hasn't tried to open ours yet.

When I was running A CJ-5 I kept spare fluids and some gear in paired glass filled nylon Bradley boxes (25mm) bolted in the back ).

Believe it or not nearly all of the tools necessary to remove and replace most fasteners in an old Jeep can fit into a single .223 ammo can (bolted under the hood).

Our current cook kit is in an old missile container... not sure if that counts as an ammo can.

for years I carried batteries for the tent lights in a .50 (might have been a fat .50) can.

Enjoy!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-20-2015, 11:19 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you cut a couple of doors in the ammo can, they make good Barbie Doll "Enduring Freedom" barracks. You and your daughters can play Barbie visits GI Joe in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              If you cut a couple of doors in the ammo can, they make good Barbie Doll "Enduring Freedom" barracks. You and your daughters can play Barbie visits GI Joe in Iraq.
              Mike, this looks like a familiar rabbit hole...I.e.; in our house it's Joe that visits Barbie. He's a better cook and she's a better shot (with the M4)...Happy memories loading stripper clips together around the fireplace, with mom and dad telling stories about hunting trips and the war...
              Please feel free to pile on brother!
              Last edited by tplife; 12-21-2015, 05:24 PM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ammo cans are not cheap like they used to be. $15 for a small one. The days of $5 ammo cans are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  threads a bit old but I'll bite...
                  I use a selection of ammo cans;
                  The Jeep first aid kit used to be a .223 can but is now either a fat 50 or a .30 caliber can (I would have to look).

Canned beverages are often transported off road in metal Bradley boxes (25mm?) the cans in if left in cardboard cases cans can wear holes in each other (not good for carbonated drinks; or thirsty people who have just set up camp).

A lot of the bulk food (crackers, snacks, peanuts, GORP, macaroni and near a half loaf of bread gets transported in large peanut jars in the metal Bradley boxes too! that or in large .50 cans (depending on trip lengeth). ..they are moderately critter resistant but as far as I know a bear hasn't tried to open ours yet.

When I was running A CJ-5 I kept spare fluids and some gear in paired glass filled nylon Bradley boxes (25mm) bolted in the back ).

Believe it or not nearly all of the tools necessary to remove and replace most fasteners in an old Jeep can fit into a single .223 ammo can (bolted under the hood).

Our current cook kit is in an old missile container... not sure if that counts as an ammo can.

for years I carried batteries for the tent lights in a .50 (might have been a fat .50) can.

Enjoy!
                  I dig the SVEA123 stove that the coffee pot is on.

Comment

I dig the SVEA123 stove that the coffee pot is on

...so do I ...Its well experienced (trouble free cooking since the late 1970's); I should polish it up though... that pic is a bit distorted due to the wide angle lens on my camera making the coffee pot appear much bigger...
                    Here's what the cook kit looks like when packed (better ammo can pic)...
                    Enjoy!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-23-2015, 10:55 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Ammo cans are not cheap like they used to be. $15 for a small one. The days of $5 ammo cans are gone.
                      I hear 'ya. Gone like $350/ounce gold, $1.50 gas, $4.00 for 20 rounds of .223, cheap accessible health care and an affordable college education. I get nostalgic for war surplus and the Pre-Obama era, now it's largely destroyed or sold outside the US "to keep us safe". Just remember that being poor like Europe forgives us of our national sins and brings us closer together to share (redistribute) the (borrowed) wealth. Hail to the Chief and $5.00 ammo cans.
                      Last edited by tplife; 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Well, gas was $1.59 recently, here in Mississippi, so maybe we got a shot at those cans again!

Comment

Well, gas was $1.59 recently, here in Mississippi, so maybe we got a shot at those cans again!
                          I think you got the point, but your sense of humor is appreciated! We use summer & winter blends of oxygenated fuel in California. It costs more to refine and formulate, but if you visited here in the 1950s, you'd see the night-and-day difference in how clean the air is. Then consider the extremely high state gas taxes and the way the gov't gave the refiners a defacto "monopoly" as a new refinery hasn't been build for over 40 years so there's no competition and maintenance shutdowns have a huge effect when there aren't many able to make our cleaner fuels.

Comment

Working...
                          X