ammo can uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ammo can uses

What do you use your surplus military ammo cans for?? Any good ideas besides storing ammo. I think I will incorporate one for a first aid kit. I stumbled across a guy who had a made a tent (actually a tipi) heater out of one. A search on youtube showed a guy who had made a grill out of one. Any good ideas for the use of a surplus ammo can??? I also know of using them for geocache's.

ammo can wood stove
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrWN...eature=related

ammo can grill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1JDtgt06A

Re: ammo can uses

the guy I had into had bought a stove pipe jacket and had it sewn into his tipi. He said it cost $40 just to have the jacket sewn in. He had a pretty cool setup. Seems like most people are not that creative, as I have posted this in about 4 places and you are the only one to respond with something besides "storing ammo". I think I am going to try and make a grill today. I know a place that sells the ammo cans. Plus I am gonna pick up some more to store my dewalt cordless stuff that gets used rarely, but I still need to carry, such as grinder, cut off tool, heat gun etc.

Comment

Motorcycle side cases - VERY popular with the Dual Sport crowd. :cool:

Mine are the "Fat Fifty" and are painted red to (sortof) match the bike......

I now have a pair of 20mm boxes to modify - they will carry a lot more.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I've never done this but people who like to geocache use them for cache containers. My husband keeps his bullets in them too. I don't know what made me just think of this but how about a bird house? Would they be too difficult to cut a hole in?
        May you always have love to share,
        Health to spare
        And friends that care.

Comment

They are just medium-thick steel sheet. About like a mailbox. The 20mm can has angled bracing for strength.
          I have seen the boxes used as tool boxes, bolted to utility trailers to hold straps and accessories, used as wash basins.
          They can also be used to hold food, as they are rodent-proof and rubber sealed. Would need to be pad-locked to be raccoon or bear proof.
          If you can find good buys on ammo cans, the uses are limitless - but prices are getting higher lately. Once the foreign wars taper off, then the supply will out-weigh prices again. Military surplus goes in cycles.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The big thing about ammo cans is they are durable and waterproof. If you drill holes in them, then they are just another leaky box.

They do have a lot of uses, limited only by the imagination. Pretty useless for backpacking due to the weight. I'd use lock-n-lock boxes or Witz cases instead. They aren't as tough, but are lightweight, waterproof, and sturdy enough to stand up to most normal abuse.
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

As a safety precaution, paint over the yellow markings on the ammo can. Helps reduce the pucker factor if the can is ejected, lost, left behind. First responders must treat the can according to the markings. 1 minute of precaution can prevent delay in assistance.

I use a 40mm grenade can for our mess box (cooking and eating gear). It is heavy but doubles as a camp seat.

OFR Gunny Douog

out

Comment

used an ammo can for a SAW for a "game box". Doesn't take up much space and I have a bunch of games in there for camping.

Comment

I have a ammo can mounted under the hood of my jeep . I put bacon & egg sandwitchs in it to keep warm on my trip to my hunting camp.

Comment

I know a guy who made HAM radio "foxes" with them. used in RDF (Radio Direction Finding).

Comment

Many people convert them into mini wood stoves or BBQ grills.

Comment

Fascinating! All of ours are full of ammo currently but if I ever come across empty ones we can make a project of them!
                        Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                        Nights under the stars:
                        2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                        2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I'm surprised no one said bear canister. Great for storing food. If there's no gasket or it's damaged, that can be fixed with a nice bead of high grade silicone glue.

Comment

The classic use for one is waterproof storage in a raft for things like the repair kit, wallets, and keys.

Comment

Maybe use it to store a big tuna ?

Comment

Working...
                              X