Alternatives to tenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to tenting

Just for the sake of getting to know more people on here, I figured I'd ask a quick question. How many of you toy with camping in something other than a tent. I try to get some time with several methods from just sleeping under the stars to sleeping in my jungle hammock(my personal favorite). I have made primitive shelters using anything from para cord and a tarp to foraging for fallen branches and pine boughs. I made a wikiup back in Texas for a winter camp. That was a lot of work but really cozy. I really enjoy bushcraft and primitive skills practice. It's between a lifestyle and a hobby. I've gone out for a 3 day trip with a pack that was pushing 7 pounds. My sleep system was a wool blanket and a tarp. I boiled my water and ate fish. I must have lost 5 pounds that weekend. Lord knows I'll not do that again anytime soon. It was fun, but a ton of work. When the whole family goes, we're living almost as well as we do at home. And the wife will only go to campgrounds with facilities. At gatherings or solo trips, I take a comfortable, minimalist approach. As far as sites go, I like heading to the state forest and going as far as my 4x4 suburban will go without fear if getting stuck and set up about right there. If I have to hike a bit, I'll do it, but it's so nice to just pull my gear out of the truck and set it up.

Re: Alternatives to tenting

I think my camping has fallen into two categories: cold nights or buggy nights. I think it would be exciting just to crawl under a tarp and be completely in the outdoors, but I'd get eaten alive by mosquitos.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

In the past, I've camped utilising a Central American hammock and sheet. It was a lot of fun when I was younger and the weather fine.
      For now...I'm a dedicated as tp calls it "McMansion" tenter...I call it glamping:D.
      Before I leave this earth I would like to complete the Appalachian Trail though.
      How and when I'll accomplish this I've no idea for the moment .
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

In the Yellowstone area, we refer to hammocks as "Bear Tacos".
        FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

This past winter, on a mild weathered weekend, my best camping buddy and I went out with a machete, two knives, two fire starters, two bic lighters, two steel canteens, and four packs of smokes between us. We built a pine bough lean-to and spear-fished/foraged for food and boiled water over the fire. It's really a good feeling to be entirely self reliant, even if just for a little while.

Comment

I think the adrenaline rush you get when doing it is a true rush. That bit of wonder, fear, confidence, and accomplishment. It's hard to beat!

Comment

Originally posted by familycamper View Post
              I think the adrenaline rush you get when doing it is a true rush. That bit of wonder, fear, confidence, and accomplishment. It's hard to beat!
              You hit the nail squarely on the head. We go out two or three times a year. Always once in the winter and usually another winter and a summer trip.

Comment

A tarp is the way to go, I will cast off my tent for good soon. The lighter the load the better. I'm not getting any younger.

Comment

Working...
                X