DIY Bushbuddy Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Bushbuddy Stove

I just couldn't justify blowing $80 for a tiny little stove. It seems like more of a novelty. I hardly camp where I cannot have a campfire so I don't have a lot of need for something like this. But, it's nice to have gear. My Bushbuddy clone is made from a free paint can with a progresso soup can for the inner liner and some 1/2x1/2 mesh. Total cost = free. I can build a ton of these for $80. Besides, using something you made yourself is more satisfying than just going out and dropping cash on over priced gear.

There are several youtube videos showing how to make them. With a little Google-Fu, you can find a few write ups as well.

Re: DIY Bushbuddy Stove

What fuel source did you use?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Just small sticks laying around in the yard. It'll boil 2 cups of water on a single fill lit from the top. It's not as fast as my Jetboil, but the fuel and stove are free.

Comment

what is the concept here? I understand holes in the bottom of the paint can to let in air, and the hole in the bottom of the soup can to let up air. But why the holes in the top of the soup can?

Comment

A wood gasification stove works at up to 90% efficiency by ensuring that the gasses produced are recycled, mixed with oxygen and further used to aid combustion and leave minimal unburned fuel. The upper holes allow for that burn to take place. You can actually see it take place as it gets up to temp.

Comment

There are no holes in the bottom of the soup can, right? Just holes at bottom of paint can and the top of the soup can.

Comment

Here's a few more pics. I changed up the inside can and the pot stand. The pot stand stores inside(between the 2 cans) when not in use.

Hope this helps.

Comment

That's a really cool little stove you made there.

How'd you get those perfect looking holes? -- looks like you've got a giant hole puncher.
                "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I used a step drill. You can get them at home depot or an auto parts store.

Comment

That is exactally what I needed yesterday. Step bit on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by familycamper View Post
                      I can build a ton of these for $80. Besides, using something you made yourself is more satisfying than just going out and dropping cash on over priced gear.
                      That is way cooler then getting ripped off on a Bushbuddy. I think I read that the Bushbuddy is made of stainless steel but 80 bones is just a rip.

Comment

I just built one....I used this thread for reference.
                        using small oak and ceder sticks I had 1 hr 30 min burn,1 hour of useable cooking flame.

thanx again.

Comment

I heard where some people have bought a stainless steel with holes silverware holder - round, from Ikea. And are using these for this type of made stove. I may get one next time I go.

Comment

Originally posted by noelectricplease View Post
                            I heard where some people have bought a stainless steel with holes silverware holder - round, from Ikea. And are using these for this type of made stove. I may get one next time I go.
                            I've seen a few Youtube videos with people using the Ikea Ordning Stainless Steel Cutlery Caddy for a Hobo stove and it does a great job of that. However the Bushbuddy is a gasifying wood stove that super heats the fuel causing a secondary combustion thats far more efficient than the simple hobo stove.

Comment

cool!!

Comment

Working...
                              X