DIY Fire Piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Fire Piston

So, I couldn't justify spending so much hard earned cash on one so I made one here at the shop during some down time. Turned out great and works like a top.

Here's a coupla pics:

The Fire Piston

The Ember

Being a machinist with a boss that enjoys creativity has it's perks!

*UPDATE*
    I finally got around to doing a video on the fire piston. I still haven't started production. I'm still waiting on the machine time. So, here's how it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kcu2Rojdw
    Last edited by familycamper; 06-22-2011, 03:31 PM. Reason: Added Video

Re: DIY Fire Piston

Very awesome! Why not convince the boss to make a few and then sell them on Ebay, CL, or on Camping Forums? That is pretty sharp looking, I like to make fire with magnesium and flint when I am out camping, I have never tried a fire piston.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Does look great! I'd buy one GBJ has a good idea, you might want to market this baby! Thanks for sharing!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Looks pretty! I like silver, shiny things. How does it work?
        "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
        ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

The boss agreed to order material to make 100 pcs as a trial run! I showed him what it does and how it works and he liked the idea. I'll have to manufacture them on my own time. I figure I'll have them out in a month. It's still quite busy here at the shop.

@surmisez, here's a link and a video. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL4BbyAypX4

$60-$80 is steep for something so simple. That's what made me make mine. There are tons of how to's on how to make them on the cheap. I'll probably get between $35-$40 for mine.

One of my plans for the extra money is support a couple of forums I have yet to support...like this one.
          Last edited by familycamper; 06-08-2011, 01:36 AM.

Comment

cool..........................

Comment

Just another update for everyone. I just got the machine set today for the bodies. If all goes well, they will be dome Sunday. The following weekend, I will try and get the rest. Here's some progress pics:

In the machine:

A couple completed:

Comment

Those are so cool!

I would buy one to support this site! I have learned so much and met so many nice foks. :cool:
                "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Originally posted by surmisez View Post
                  Those are so cool!

I would buy one to support this site! I have learned so much and met so many nice foks. :cool:
                  Speaking of supporting the site, I need to find out how I can donate to the site. The few forums I am a member of, I have become a donating member. Time to poke around and see what I can do here.

Comment

Here's another member interested in your piston. I share the opinion that for something so simple why charge so much? I do enjoy making fires from a ferro rod, flint and stone, bow drill ect, but in an actual survival scenario, not that those would be bad choices, but for time and energy's sake, the fire pistons seem like they would take the cake. Keep up the great work!!! Whenever you decide to take orders and distribute them, I am interested in one, maybe more, myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X